Utels Wu Ning Hotel Shanghai

Shanghai City Central Youth hostel
Booking.com Ctrip.com HostelBookers.com

More about Shanghai

Qian Xiang RestaurantQian Xiang Restaurant

in the towerin the tower

View of the Bund from across the roadView of the Bund from across the road

Nanjing LuNanjing Lu

Shanghai to Beijing flights

by kathee8

How far is the flight from Shanghai to Beijing? Is it easy to get plane tickets? How much is the cost and how long will the flight take?

I plan to go from Shanghai to Beijing on February 25th. But I would be able to book for a flight only the day before.

RE: Shanghai to Beijing flights

by bminorca

It is a 2-hour flight. There are frequent daily flights (more than 40 indeed). It costs RMB400 to RMB1300 depending on the discount you get. It usually costs less if you book about 2 weeks in advance.

RE: Shanghai to Beijing flights

by ellyse

Hmmm, I might or might not be in Shanghai then, but I could get my trusty ticket agent to help you out if you want. Drop me a VTMail if necessary.

by polartraveller

also keep in mind that tehre are two airports in Shanghai, on opposite end of the city. So depending on where you are staying take into account the cost of transportation to the airport. You can also get next day tickets at the airport or at most hotel business center

by sugarpuff

Yes, a 2hr flight, leaving every 15mins or so. You will be able to get a ticket the day before buy the times may be restricted according to the cheap prices as you will be buying lst inute, but as 'ellyse' said, she could maybe help you get one in advance and then meet you to pass it over and that way you'll get a cheaper price by buying in advance. But you also said that you may not go to BJ if things work out in SH for you, so maybe you can't buy i advance...

by bminorca

You can get an e-ticket. So there is no need to meet you to pass it over. You can book it on www.ctrip.com. Or, 'ellyse' could buy one from a travel agent. All she needs is your name and passport number. Oops..., you'll still have to meet her to pay back the money... :-)

Travel Tips for Shanghai

Snake dishes

by doubleOO

From the pictures, I believe you are having the snake meat deep fried into a bit size pieces. May be this the way Shanghai chef preparing for foreigners. In southern part of China where the snake dishes are more popular and they usually offer more complicated dishes as stew, pan fried stripes or meat balls etc. Snake meat itself does not have strong taste and it needs something else to compliment the dish. The elaborated snake stew is a celebrated/ festival dish for southerners. It combins with chicken meat, dark oyster mushroom,bamboo shoots etc. It is an expensive dish. So try more variety and you may like it.
One thing be careful with the snake bones. My mom told me that it may look like and taste like chicken but if you ever have the bone stuck in your throat, you will need a doctor to extract it. It is because the bone will not soften up with time and very hard to disgest. Eel meat will be a lot more safer to eat in a chunk size. Eel dishes are very popular among the Shanghaiese.

The Shanghai Metro

by Paul2001

The Metro system is one of the finest I have ever ridden on in the World. I think that when you consider how many I have ridden on, you would be impressed by that statement. The system is clean, efficient and extremely modern. Why cannot my local subway tell me when the next train is coming like this one. The trains here are especially modern and it is possible to walk from one end of the whole train to the other. The up coming station is announced both in Mandarin and English. In fact the whole system is bilingual. The whole Metro system is still in its infancy and there are only two lines working with a third opening very soon.
Fares vary for how many stops you will be traveling the Metro on. The minimum charge is Y3 for about three stops but this rises to Y5 for a very lengthly trip. There is also a rechargable card that you can buy for Y50 that works as a pass for entry onto all of Shanghai's transportations systems.

Authentic Beijing Duck...Delicious!

by rabbit06 about Traditional Beijing Roast Duck

This is another famous restaurant in Shanghai with great service, authentic decor, fantastic food, along with that feeling "you are in China" and one we would recommend. Also appointed the Expo restaurant and we can understand why! The Peking Duck now Beijing carved by the chef next to your table is so mouth watering as they are happy farm raised, you just want to keep eating and eating and eating, but there is also so many other fantastic dishes to try including Fish that looks like Squirrel......YUM!!

Shanghai Museum Ceramics.

by Guantanamera

One of the best galleries in the Shanghai Museum is dedicated to the history of porcelain and ceramics, of which the colorful dragon you see pictured here is a brilliant example... They also have exhibits showing how porcelian molds are made and gigantic models of kilns...

by wintermoon2

"Shanghai Surprise"

Shanghai, China - September 10, 2001

Shanghai is a really beautiful city! Its thousand times more livelier than Beijing. People are walking around more, there are more stores slightly closer together. It has more of that Asian life that I thought I'd find in Beijing. However, internet is still a major problem. I found one, but only one. I would think there would be at least a few, especially in such an international tourist area with so many people walking around. But the waterfront is pretty cool, and I suppose I should be more occupied with seeing Shanghai then checking my email.

The food is pretty much as everyone says - Shanghaiese food is oily and greasy! Even the fried rice has thick amounts of oil and grease that I've never seen in any other fried rice of any kind in any place I've ever been - and I do eat ALOT of fried rice everywhere I go. Shanghai definetley has the oiliest and greasiest! Its thicker than the grease from 5 slices of bacon, just add it to your rice, and you something like what I mean.

The people have a pretty look, well, the women in particular. They also are quite friendly, although inefficent. In my hostel, no one really seemed to have anything for you. I mean it doesn't seem very organized at all. I also have had a few of the odd responses that I expected in China. I have been in quite a few pictures of local Chinese (guys in particular), who want to put their arms around me and pose with me for their cameras. I also have that typical annoying stuff when I go into a store and someone points to something obvious and tells me what it is using the English word. Also, walking through the market I had several people grab me trying to make me buy some product, and also the occassional postcards boys walking around searching for tourists to throw postcards in my face. Outside of that typical stuff, its pretty cool place! I like it alot!

I've also heard that Shanghai is kind of greedy materialistic place, and that does seem to come across. Its nice atmosphere though. At nighttime, looking across from the Bund (the major tourist spot), its quite an incredible view. There are also numerous boats going through Shanghai, many of them fishing boats and many tourist boats. There is alot of life here. I wish I could spend significant more time here. Food and drink is incredibly cheap, but lodging is quite expensive. I'm staying at a hostel, which works out fine, but of course you have to share a room with quite a few people. Most of my roommates and most of the other non-chinese in the hostel seem to be Japanese.

I'd love to spend more time in Shanghai, perhaps even teaching English here as a way to live. But unfortunately it only pays about $500 a month, which I can tell wouldn't last long at all in this city.

Comments