No.88 Sichuan Middle Road, Shanghai, Shanghai Region, 200002, China

Booking.com Agoda.com Travelocity

Costs 84% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Shanghai

oh the food!oh the food!

Me on the Zig Zag bridge at Yu Yuan GardensMe on the Zig Zag bridge at Yu Yuan Gardens

Huxinting TeahouseHuxinting Teahouse

Ah those spinning plates!Ah those spinning plates!

Slow paced in a fast city

by gdeering

I live in New York and I've recently looked over some NYC tourist forums to see what potential NYC tourists ask, and as you might expect it's mainly the same old stuff.

So I'd like to know from those of you who care enough about Shanghai and frequent this site - what questions should I be asking? What little things make Shanghai interesting after the "three days and out" tourists have gone, and after one does the most popular sites, and activites?

We are going to be in Shanghai for 10 days December-January and I've got a decent idea of the main attractions, what to expect and what not to expect from a big modernizing city.

We (with two kids 16 & 12) are very happy to take it slow, wonder and get the feeling for the place, frankly it looks like one could easily fill one's time that way. My wife and I work in art galleries so we are very interested in seeing what the art scene is like in Shanghai, so it will take us to gallery area like Moganshan Art Center, and Duolin Road, this will bring us to two more areas to explore.

We are staying at the Old Town (Huashan Lu) to begin with and may plan a trip out of the city for a night and then return to the Radisson and pamper the kids a bit - though we are far from high rollers.

Thanks,

by MikeySoft

It sounds like you have done a lot of research. Shanghai has a lot of small parks, which are good for people watching.

For your trip out of the city, I recommend one or two nights in Hangzhou and a day trip to a water town.

Take a look at some of the pages and tips on Virtualtourist of people who have travel to or live in China to give you additional ideas.

by SangAji

a day at pudong zoo would be worthwhile, pick a quiet day. variety of side shows and animals safari too. hangzhou overnite esp west lake shouldn't be missed.

by HooptheWorld

We decided to forget all the "must see" advice and just let instinct take-over in Shanghai. As a result,we discovered a plethora of off-beat, fascinating sights...and met some wonderful people. We especially enjoyed the French Concession. There is a most wonderful bookstore there that sells books on China (etc.) that you cannot get in the USA. Also, it has a sweet cafe. Then, there is the Boonna 1 (and 2..not far from the original one) Cafe...very Bohemian with good food, good coffee...good people. Strolling around this area offers many visual delights...and a sense of how Shanghai once was.
In fact,we got so absorbed with our "whatever happens" days that we never did get over to Pudong...or some other sights , but we had a magical time and left Shanghai with new friends to revisit...your children would, most likely, enjoy this area. The shopping is fun as well..many small stores with unique offerings.
In such an intense city, it is best to relax and pretend you have all the time in the world...much like NYC.

by polartraveller

lets say I lived in Shanghai for 8 months last year and still have not seen 1/2 of the city or the surrounding country sides, 10 days will be a good start.

by gdeering

Thanks everyone, we are looking forward to going. My son, the 12 year old, has been studying Mandarin for two years, so we are going to put him out in front (except at corners and crosswalks) and start wandering.

by polartraveller

12 years old! you better keep him in sight or he may walk off with one of those lovely Shanghai girls.

by gdeering

Only if dumplings are her siren call... he can resist anything but food, he's skinny too which is so very unfair.

by polartraveller

he will love Shanghai, dumplings everywhere.

by ellyse

If you're staying at Huashan Lu, you're in the French Concession area, not Old Town area.
- Shanghai Ocean Aquarium (beside Oriental Pearl TV Tower)
- Shanghai Science & Technology Museum
- Shanghai Movie World (?)
- Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) in People's Square
- Taikang Lu in French Concession
- Chinese acrobat performance at Shanghai Circus World
- water village eg Xitang
- Museum of Sex Culture at Tongli water village
- various museums in Shanghai eg Propaganda Posters, Post, Railway, PSB (Public Security Bureau aka Police, etc
- French Concession area

Travel Tips for Shanghai

Great for souvineers

by easterntrekker about Old Town Market

At first as you pass through the dusty streets with cheap goods and food stalls and come into a beautiful narrow shop filled street, you think you are in a huge tourist trap. However the bargaining can be fierce and it is challenging but fun to sort out the fake from the real. There are however some shops selling only higher end products with no bargaining .The stores sell a everything including chopsticks, Chinese medicine, walking sticks, fans, silk , bamboo and rattan furniture, goldfish, pottery, plus much more
There are 2 starbucks here...why who knows.

Shanghai Gardens Retaurant

by lindyz about Metropole Hotel

We ate here twice at night, and the food was average, not wonderful, but certainly edible. I know Alice had warned me not to eat here, she had and said it was not very nice. But, you know, sometimes when you have had a long hard day (retail therapy is hard work!) you just want to take the elevator downstairs, eat a meal, and then go back upstairs and put your pj's on!

First meal we ate here we shared a rice soup, plus a dish of mushrooms and bok choy, plus some spring rolls, at a total cost of about 60rmb = about $10AUD. The prices were comparitive and the quantity of food served was quite large, we just felt that it lacked flavour.

The second meal we ate here consisted of spring rolls, dumplings and a noodle dish, which Tracy and I shared, at a total cost of about 58rmb = about $10AUD.

Shanghai Museum - Ceramics Pieces

by chatterley

Here are some of the ceramics pieces I enjoyed looking at in the Museum. These three pieces are big, and all of them came from the Tang Dynasty. The man on the camel had Middle-Eastern facial features, which is evidence of a once bustling-trade between China and other countries (eg. India, Persia etc) during that time.

Ceramics from Tang Dynasty are also known as "Tang San Cai".

Shanghai

by John195123

"Big, dirty... gawdy? It's a Chinese New York City"

And yet has a certain air... of growth, a booming growth seen all over the nation, so rapid it's almost scary. And Shanghai wants to be at the fore.

Well, it's river scene has nothing on Hong Kong. Sorry Shanghai. I didn't find Shanghai to be as great as Hong Kong, and it may never be, though they'll try. But they'll try by building it up and up... sub-par construction that looks shiny and new when complete. They want to force its growth, it seems, to compete with Hong Kong. Best of luck.

I just didn't find Shanghai to be all it's cracked up to be. Maybe that was my situation and mood. Maybe I'm getting tired of all the monotonous concrete buildings of Chinese cities, the lack of much in the way of nature... the way nature and tradition are bulldozed for "growth", the westernizing of China... I don't want to find the West here. Yet they eat it up... anything western... it is sad, very sad, for me, a traveler, to hear my music on their ringtones, see my fast food clog their arteries, and most of all to see them blindly rushing toward the western light. No! Don't leave your culture, China, to the overpriced tourist performances and "discovering" along with millions of others... some gawdy reproductions. Travelers want the real China. (See my Yangshuo page)

Don't waste what you have, China! Everyone is crazed by capitalist monies and commercialism and doesn't see nor care about the destruction in their wake. They move to the smoggy cities and another concrete pile goes up by the spindly hands of another tower crane, built atop the ruins of history and tradition and culture, whored out to the god of money. Sure, it's shiny, but it doesn't hold the answer. Some day you wil look to your past and wonder what became of China.

Comments