Datong Continental Hotel

Datong bussesDatong busses

Travel Tips for Datong

Backpacking

by tremendopunto

Im not sure if I am a good example.
I have a backpackers soul. I like to travel as light as possible
and as packed as necessary. Which means on a trip for a month I only travel with my small army backpack.
It is 50x35x25cm only!
(If you are travelling with your girl things look different of course. Romantic travelling is more convinient travelling)
Medicine is most important.
Toiletpaper comes second in China.
A LP guide is never a mistake. But I reduce it to the most necessary information of my route on a seperate paper in case I lose the guidebook (transportation, alternative places to stay, copies of some maps...). Youth hostels are always a breeding point of the latest travel information. It is a big backpacker family.
I only have just a few things of clothes, two trousers, a few t-shirts , a few socks, one or two pullover and so on to change. Jacket on my body. (Need warm clothes for Datong in Winter and Spring)
If you need new clothes you can buy them very cheap or if you stay at a place for a couple of days wash your used clothes.
I hope you are not too much disgusted. Always have something to drink with you. Money, traveller cheques, passport, tickets - everything important is in my moneybelt.
My wallet is just for some little money you need every day. It does not hurt when you lose it or it gets stolen, or even robbed. But I normally wear it
in a front pocket while I? travelling. (China is one of the safest countries I have travelled to. It is more dangerous to take the wrong exit in a major US city;-) The weight is right when you are able to walk with it for at least half a day - everyday ;-)
Nomally when you reach a city, I look for the place to stay first. But
that can take some time. Than you can reduce the weight, leave everything in
the hotel you can afford to lose and start your exploration!

I hope this is a help for everyone who wants to experience a little bit more andvanturous travelling independently.

Visiting the hanging monastery Xunggong Si

by sachara

To visit the hanging monastery you have to climb the steep steps first.
The building is from 600 AD and built during the Northern Wei dynasty.
The natural hollows of the cilff were used to place the buttresses. In the temple are 40 big and small halls connected with each other by corridors and narrow steep steps.
It's quite an adventure to visit all these halls.

Datong

by sachara

On our trip from Mongolia to Labrang in China and Tibet we visited Datong.
We arrived in Datong with the Trans-Mongolian express coming from Ulaanbaatar in Mongolia.
We stayed two days in Datong before we took the nighttrain to Lanzhou along the Yellow River.
Things to see in Datong are Nine Dragon screen and the Huayan Monastery.
The most impressive sights are outside Datong.
16 KM west of Datong are the wonderful Yungang Caves.
75 east of Datong is the hanging monastery Xuanggong Si.

Comments