Cuichenghai Hotel

Ctrip.com Booking.com Agoda.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Pingyao

Cave dwellingsCave dwellings

The family had its own in-house schoolThe family had its own in-house school

The first courtyard (of 2) at the Ydie HotelThe first courtyard (of 2) at the Ydie Hotel

The Nine Dragon ScreenThe Nine Dragon Screen

Pingyao Wall

by SandiM

In September, we are arriving in Pingyao around 10am by train and leaving the next morning (late morning). I am a scenic photographer and want to take photographs from on top of the Wall of the Wall (among other things to photograph). Can you walk the whole way around? If so, how long would it take? Where are the entrances to get up if we are staying at the Yide Hotel (northwest area)? We want to try for early morning or around sundown to get some nice, 'romantic/fantasy/misty' shots of the wall (similar to the ones seen in National Geographic etc). Where are the best places to shoot photos if I want to avoid powerlines, modern homes, people, signposts, etc etc? It sounds silly but I try to photograph my scenery without a lot of 'realism' in it...thanks!

Re: Pingyao Wall

by albaaust

Hi Sandi ..me again...you can walk around the wall..it is not long..about one to two hours..have a look at our page. There are plenty of places to photograph towards the old city. The other place is the bell tower.

Suggest you hire some bikes or take a trolley car for various scenes in the old town.

For me the most mystical was when we arrived at the train station...around 11pm...cold mist rising from the platform..no -one is sight except in the distance a mysterious black figure (the station guard) beckoning us towards a narrow door...think Alfred Hitchcock..

Have a look at our tips..suggest if you can to do what we did and hire a taxi to visit the set of The Red Lantern.

Re: Pingyao Wall

by SandiM

Actually, your page was what inspired me to alter our itinerary and go to PingYao! ha ha I just wasn't sure about photo-ops...Apparently, the day after we leave, the town gets crowded for a massive Photography Festival! Do you know which Wall photo I'm speaking of? Where it looks like the vantage point is from somewhere high up but perpendicular to the wall, shooting the line of the wall until it disappears into the distance (and, hopefully, into a mist!!).I want to do that too! Sun sets in the west, so I can get nice silhouette photos if I stand on the western wall facing into the sunset, or get some lovely fire-touched wall scenes if I stand on the eastern wall. North and South parts, not the best unless I'm trying to shoot down into the town and maybe get a straight-line shot of the main old street with bell tower? Then for that, perhaps a high-noon shot where the sun goes directly down and should illuminate the walkway better...just talking...I basically want to know where the 'money-shots' are from ontop the wall, and time of day for each one. (loved your page, btw!) :)

Travel Tips for Pingyao

Read some history before you go to Pingyao

by ForbiddenCity

Surprisingly Pingyao was once China's financial center, when a few banks here opened branches nationwide, and lots of wealth concentrated in this small county. The first modern bank (Shi Sheng Chang) is in Pingyao.

It is such a rare case that a small county became a financial center (in Ming & Qing Dynasty).

Recently we have rediscovered the history and many books published but don't know if anyone in English. I have dreamed of such awesome ancient castles from childhood. This is one of the most intact ancient city in China. Wonderful!

Pingyao's Nine Dragon Screen

by Paul2001

To the north of the Temple of the City of God is a wonderful but surprisingly somewhat ignored, 9 Dragon Screen wall. Although this wall is not quite as well maintained or large as those in the Forbidden City and Datong, just the same it is interesting. I sort of came by it by accident as I left the Temple of the City of God by way of the North Entrance.

La muralla / The wall

by elpariente

Pingyao está rodeada por una muralla de 6 kms de largo , con una altura de 10 metros , una anchura de 5 metros y recubierta con ladrillos que tienen aún el sello de su fabricación
Se dice también que Pingyao tiene forma de tortuga , la puerta Sur sería la cabeza , la Norte la cola y las cuatro que están dos al Este y dos al Oeste corresponderían a las pata , los ojos son los pozos que están en la puerta Norte y el trazado de las calles parece el caparazón de la tortuga
Se puede recorrer toda la muralla o bien entrar por una puerta y salir la siguiente

Pingyao is surrounded by a wall of 6 kilometres long with a height of 10 meters, a width of 5 metres and covered with bricks that are still the hallmark of manufacture
It is also said that Pingyao is shaped like a turtle, the South door should be the head , the North door is the tail and the four that are two on the East and two on the West correspond to the legs, the two eyes are the wells that are in the North-door and the streets layout seems the turtle shell
You can go across the complete wall or if it is too long you may enter through one door and leave in the following

Must see this! Fun!

Ancient parade Performance

I just came across this event at 10am. You should ask your inn keeper for timing. People are dressed in Ming Dynasty and the county governor will deliver a welcome speech.

really Fun!

Family's Wang's Residence

by ForbiddenCity

The biggest ancient residence compound (of government official). Grand scale! Really a castle!

So called "Civilian Forbidden City". Lots of delicate carvings

The whole compound is built on a huge hill, and a bridge connecting two independant castles

Comments