Pingyao Hotels

• cal6060 profile photo cal6060
  • Reviews: 1232

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Qingxinyuan Folk Hotel (2nd Brunch): Ancient Motel 8 in Pingyao

Well, I really love this hotel, or motel for the price and standard. It is located hidden in one of those alleys. It was difficult to find without a map. But the with the help from the locals, I managed to find it within 10 minutes. Not only it is beautiful with it original Pingyao courtyard and architectures, it was very quiet without much of noise from the main streets. Best of all, it only costs me Y99 (US$16) per night.

Pro:
- Friendly staffs, especially owner , Mr .Lee.
- Quiet and peaceful
- Great location, short walk to restaurants and the only Supermarket.
- 20 minutes walk to the Railway Station.
- Clean and reasonable room size.
- Provide comforter or blanket.

I don't find any con of this hotel, expect basic bathroom, but clean and warm shower.

You can book this from www.elong.net

In Chinese:
平遥程家老院民俗宾馆(二部)
平遥县城内海子街40号

It was such a bargain. Quiet and Beautiful.

From Railway Station: Go straight on Shuncheng Road, turn left on Xifu street. You will see the Fengyi Gate. After passing the gate, look out for the 5th ally on the left, Wudaomiao E ally, turn left. Then, first right is Haizi Street. You can see the hotel signboard on Haizi street.

From Bus Station: Turn right on Zhongdu Rd, then left on Beiguan St. You will see the Gongji gate, straight on North Street, third right is Haizi street. You can see the hotel signboard on Haizi street.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written November 26, 2011

Qingxinyuan Folk Hotel (2nd Brunch), Pingyao

• SandiM profile photo SandiM
  • Reviews: 31

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Yide Hotel: Pingyao's hidden gem!

I wanted a good hotel in Pingyao, to suit my need for a photogenic spot. The Yide Hotel fit the bill exactly! This lovely inn is situated off an alleyway away from the crowds and we were taken there from the train station on one of those electric cart thingys. Once you get there, you can always find your way back to it since it's actually easy to find by map. Apparently, this hotel used to be a courtyard home for wealthy merchant, built in 1736. The staff are very helpful and speak very good English. Internet in the dining room was free and readily available. The food was delicious, however the prices are a little steep comparatively. BUT, you do get a lot of food for the price! Just remember, you order everything a la carte, so if you are eating for 2 then one or two dishese should be enough. A cup of coffee cost about 30 RMB, same price as the orange juice however that orange juice was CERTAINLY worth the price! Wow, so fresh and amazing! The rooms were on the small side, but terribly unique! The shower and toilet share the same space, which is normal in many Asian households and I got used to it fast. The staff offered laundry service and it was the cheapest I've paid in China yet!

THAT BED! What a wonderful surprise! The bed in our room was called a KANG bed. It was huge! It measured wall to wall approximately 15'. It was a single (massive!) bed, solid mattress (typical in China), with a little table set in the middle so two people can sleep without touching (which is what my mother and I did). The bed is heated in winter. The comforter was extremely comfy! The floors were rock tile--cold to the footsies but very authentic feeling. Not a lot of space for luggage but just to stay in that room was a dream. The courtyard was lovely and I took many photos. The price we paid for the room during our stay was higher than normal, apparently, due to the International Photography Festival that we stumbled into (I, a photographer, didn't know about it! ha ha)

• Related to: Historical Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Photography
  • Written October 1, 2009

The first courtyard (of 2) at the Ydie Hotel

• earthworm88 profile photo earthworm88
  • Reviews: 6

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

YunJinCheng aka Pingyao Int'l Financier Club: Not Worth the $$

Since it was our 10th year wedding anniversary, we had decided to splurge a little and got the superior suite for 900Y a night at this hotel which was supposed to be the nicest hotel in Pingyao according to LP. The reception area was nicely decorated. The ground was very nice and well kept. At night, you really felt the quaintness of the place. The room was small and narrow as expected in these old historical buildings. The top floor was big enough for 2 single beds, and the lower floor had the bathroom and living room. The stairs was narrow so at the half way landing, we had to duck to avoid hitting our heads (I mean the entire head if you are 6' tall like my husband).

The service was not impressive. The girl at the reception barely spoke any english. We didn't really expect anyone to speak English well, but check in basic stuff was somewhat expected. When we were checking in, we had to pay for the room in advance, we gave her the credit card and she asked us for the "house number", my husband was confused so I had to tell him that she probably meant pin number! No one came forth to help take our luggage to the room. Didn't see anyone else except the two girls at the front desk.

The most annoying thing about this hotel is their refusal to help us buy our train tickets to Xian in advance. Other guesthouses in the area are willing to help their guests. Please read about the train ticket tips cuz I have lots to say about that too ;-). The generator was really close to our room so that it was really noisy while it was on, but thank god it stopped at around 7pm.

The beds were really hard which I expected, but I just didn't expect how cheap they were. Not only was it hard, there was no cushion on top, you could feel the springs underneath your hands if you place them on the mattress! I didn't expect that from a supposedly 5 star hotel. The only 5 stars I could see happening would be if I fell down the narrow dark stairs!

Since we were not picked up by the hotel on our arrival, we asked the reception to send us to the train station on our departure. But she insisted on charging us 20Y for the ride to the train station. I explained to her again and again that it should be complementary since we didn't take advantage of it when we arrived. So finally she reluctantly gave in. The train was supposed to be at the train station at 11pm, so we asked for the ride at 10pm and she insisted that someone would come pick us up at 10:20pm. After a few minutes of haggling, we decided to just be safe and told her to pick up us at 10:15pm in case we need more time. Then she told us the pick up would be 10pm which she refused many time previously. How strange was that?!

All in all, there are other good guesthouses in Pingyao one can stay at without paying so much money for. But keep in mind that only about 10 guesthouses are licensed to take in foreigners in the entire Pingyao.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Architecture, Historical Travel, Family Travel
  • Written October 8, 2008

Reception area/dining area

• Frank_GA profile photo Frank_GA
  • Reviews: 1

YuFengHeng Hotel: Hotel

It is a unique Chinese 2+ stars hotel in side the city og Pingyao. Only 500 yards from the Chenghuangmioo temple and theather.

It is old Chinese house, It is comfortable with air and own bth room.
The family runs the place. The older son will pick you up in Taiyan (Where the airport is) with reasonable charge. The younger son's wife June Wang can speak English.
The Place is a super value for your money
The food is super.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written May 31, 2008

• elpariente profile photo elpariente
  • Reviews: 1600

DeJuYuan Hotel: En el centro / In the center

DeJuYuan, casa de huéspedes tradicional , como ellos se llaman a sí mismos , es un bonito hotel situado en el centro de Pingyao con un agradable patio, un buen restaurante y habitaciones buenas y limpias .
La gente es muy agradable y te ayuda a comprar tus billetes de tren y para ayudarle a programar tu visita
Tienen alquiler de bicicletas

DeJuYuan, folk guest house, as they call themselves to a nice hotel is located in the center of Pingyao with a nice courtyard, a good restaurant and nice and clean rooms.
People is very nice and helpful to get tickets or to help you to program your visit
They rent bicycles

• Written March 27, 2008

• easysunshine01 profile photo easysunshine01
  • Reviews: 12

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Yu Feng Heng Hotel: The hotel I stayed for my trip

Yu Feng Heng Hotel, built 300 years ago, is the first of Pingyao’s traditional guesthouses, and is about 100 meters from the centre of the city. During the Qing Dynasty, the owner was famous for assisting poor students and it given the name Ju Yi Jiu (Help Others) Hotel by the leader of the county. Later the Liu family changed the name to Yu Feng Heng.

The grey bricks, old tiles, red lanterns, candle light, and Ming and Qing style furniture will take you back hundreds of years. In addition to these old fashioned touches,the modern conveniences such as color TV, air conditioning,and modern bathrooms are served.

I would like to say this hotel is at the grade of 2 stars hotel. All the other facilities are good only the bathroom needs to be improved. The room is very warm at night only somewhat cold at dawn time.

• Related to: Work Abroad, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Family Travel
  • Written March 3, 2007
Tip Photo

• mskwan profile photo mskwan
  • Reviews: 83

Yun Jin Cheng Folk Custom Hotel: Warm and Homey Service

Even though we have already checked in to another hotel, when we poked our head into this place they warmly welcomed us to look around and to take pictures. We ended up eating dinner here which was the best in Pingyao.

Excellence service.

• Reviews: 49

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

the Yunjincheng Folk Custom hotel: Ôƽõ³ÇÃñ·ç±ø¹Ý

Friendly service
but again,you still have to bargain - the cheapest price for the small room:80 yuan.
but try to bargain, you can get easily for 60yuan(or maybe 50yuan if there're no many people) - outside bathroom, but still you sleep in china's tradition bed.

but you might get cheaper price in other hotel around(which there's no many english sign on it)

I like this hotel because it has clean room and bathroom.

The only different between the room is on the size of the room - which I don't really think it is necessary because you'll go out whole day anyway to explore pingyao's city.

courtyard & restaurant
as the same of most other hotels in pingyao have.

• Written September 1, 2004

yunjincheng

• ForbiddenCity profile photo ForbiddenCity
  • Reviews: 33

Yi De Hostel: Old Residence House

This is a larger coupound, with several courtyards, used to be a high rank merchant (Hou Wangbin)'s residence

Nice place but bit pricy (RMB160-200 for standard room)

I enjoy the architechture very much

• Related to: Castles and Palaces, Arts and Culture, Historical Travel
  • Written May 27, 2004

Yi De Hostel

• ForbiddenCity profile photo ForbiddenCity
  • Reviews: 33

Yun Jin Cheng: Authentic Ancient Courtyard Hotel

I wanted to Book Tian Yuan Kui but fully booked. I searched web to find this 300 years old compound (used to be a renowned restaurant in Pingyao). I like the architechture and took lots of photos in this courtyard. The rate I get is RMB120 for one standard room (should be used for concubines in the old ages)

Booking advised

The service is good and people are very friendly. Food is lousy, comparing to Beijing.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average