Tian Yuan Kui Hostel

See Amenities
dutchboycalledjan's Profile Photo

Traditional building

by written on August 26, 2007

We're in a very nice hotel in the heart of Pingyao. It is a traditional building with all the mordern facilities: a series of court yards, spacious rooms, bath rooms.

It has a friendly, english speaking staff, bikes for rent, western breakfast, internet and a good kitchen.

Unique Quality: Lay out of the rooms, quality of services, fast internet!

Directions: Near the central tower, in the heart of this old city.

Museeuw's Profile Photo

A surplus to the trip

by written on April 7, 2007

As other VT’ers already commented this hotel is certainly worth staying in. It gives a surplus to the visit to Pingyao, with the traditional bed, the fine local food, the entire hotel itself,... . As you can see on the pictures the hotel is really beautiful, but what surprised me is the excellent service we got in this place. A 5-star hotel worthy. The girls are jumping everywhere for you, and Jonathan gives you such a welcoming feeling that you feel at home from the first minute. E.g. When we arrived it was already dark and really cold outside. We had forgotten something in our car which was a good mile away, and when I was leaving to go get that, Jonathan insisted on accompanying me. I declined however.
Update: I heard that Jonathan is no longer working there and that he is a guide now in Pingyao, but I'm sure that whoever is replacing him is as kind, because that seemed to be the policy of the place.

Actually, Jonathan is a guide now in Pingyao, and I'm convinced that he is very good in his new job (you can reach him on 0086-158 3503 3752 or pyjonathan@126.com). He is also here on VT (pyjonathan).

easysunshine01's Profile Photo

My favourite Hotel at Pingyao

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 3, 2007

You’d better choose Tianyuankui Hotel if you will stay in Pingyao. Tianyuankui Hotel which is only about 100 meters away from the centre of the city was built in the year of 1791.During Jin and Shang dynasty, it was very famous and booming and now it is popular again.

Unique Quality: ☆ When you enter the Tianyuankui Hotel, you will feel the wind of the classical culture and see the red lanterns and the candle lights too, you can also taste the sweetness of the tea; all of these will make you pleasant.

☆ In the courtyard, blue bricks, old tiles, and the stone carving lions and the broad tables and chairs will takes you hundreds even thousands of years ago. Thus, you can learn more about the people living in the old dynasties.

☆In the house, you will see the ancient furniture of Ming and Qing style, the easy and smooth paintings, in contrast to these, there are modern facilities such as color TV and air conditioning and so on for your convenience. The washronoms are clean and tidy; you will feel at home if you are in the house.

Directions: Center of the inner town

albaaust's Profile Photo

Courtyard Hotel - this is the only place to stay!!

by written on January 15, 2007

The hotel oozes appeal and “magic”and transported us immediately to another time - a feeling that stayed with us while we were in Pingyao and influenced all that we saw. It is a gorgeous authentic traditional Chinese courtyard hotel with lots of atmosphere from the lanterns to the rosewood bedroom. The bedroom was dominated by an enormous kang All the rooms have their own bathroom and air-conditioning. Internet available.

The location of the hotel is outstanding right in the middle of the action on the main street. The hotel also has its own restaurant and bar. Breakfast was delicious. (See restaurant tip) Tables were inside the restaurant in the entrance reception area. During summer there are also tables outside. The staff, mainly young girls were friendly and eager to help. Simply wonderful.

Mid range tourists as well as backpackers were using this hotel when we were there!

Be warned - in summer it is booked out pretty quickly!

I have included a scanned copy of the hotel card with its Chinese name printed.

Cost : 200 Yuan a night

Cheng Shu Xian Manager

Unique Quality: A courtyard hotel laden with lanterns and lots of atmosphere

Paul2001's Profile Photo

A Lovely Guesthouse to Spend the Night

by written on December 18, 2006

Pingyao hosts many guesthouses but probably the most famous of the lot is the Tianyuankuike Zhan. This place is so popular that I highly recommend that you book ahead for a room as I did. The raves are justified as I really enjoyed by stay here. For just a small price I stayed in a very quaint room with an ancient bed in which I had one of the best sleeps of my life.
Due to a mix-up I almost did not spend the night here after all. This was because the clerk in my hotel who was attempting to arrange for my bus out the next day advised me that there actually was not a bus out of town to Xian that day. This meant I would have to leave town on the night train that evening. I was really disappointed as I yearned to spend the night in Pingyao for its atmosphere. Happily as I was eating lunch the hotel manager corrected the clerk as there was in fact a bus to Xian from Pingyao, it just stopped along the highway instead of at the bus station. I was thrilled, especially since I enjoyed every minute I spent in Pingyao.
The hotel itself is in a building that dates from the mid-18th century

Unique Quality: The hotel itself is in a building that dates from the mid-18th century. It has about four courtyards where you can sit and have a beverage. By the lobby is a very friendly and fun restaurant which sort of doubles as a bar. The beer is cheap and the food was good. This might also be one of the best places to eat in Pingyao. Other than the mistake made by the clerk upon my arrival, the staff here was helpful and friendly.

Directions: Smack in the centre of the old town.

mskwan's Profile Photo

Free and Fast Internet Access

by written on June 16, 2005

An old traditional building was restored to create this hotel. The room came with modern comforts such as TV, air-con, heat, flush toilet, etc. We paid RMB180 for two person, Chinese style breakfast included.

Unique Quality: Clean and modern comforts in old traditional style. Free and very fast internet access was a blessing.

aukjejetty's Profile Photo

by written on April 30, 2003

Here is what the bed we slept on looks like. It is an ancient bed, very large! Lots of room to roll over ;-)

aukjejetty's Profile Photo

Going Back In Time

by written on April 14, 2003

This guesthouse is established during the Qing dynasty. It is an old courtyard residence. It has beautiful plants around the place to sit. Rooms are in old style. We stayed in a room with a traditional bed which used to have a little stove under de bed to make it warm.

Nearby Tian Yuan Kui Hostel

Amenities at Tian Yuan Kui Hostel

• Restaurant
  • Free High Speed Internet

Pingyao Travel Forum

Need advice about Pingyao, China? Visit the Travel Forum for Pingyao and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Pingyao hotel reviews

2) Temple of Erlang
21) Fengyi Gate
20) Fengshui Tower
Things to Do
19) County Government Office (East)
18) Ying Xun Gate
Shuanglin Temple
City Wall
Cave dwellings behind the Wang Manor
Things to Do
Wang Family Courtyard Manor (2)
Things to Do
Wang Family Courtyard Manor (1)
Walk the Walls!