Rong Cheng Hotel

Satisfaction Terrible

Good For No Data
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

very handy

Arrived here at 4am in the morning from a delayed flight from Xian - but I had spoken with the manager of Sam's hostel next door about arriving at midnight and she had just booked out the last room so recommended staying here next door.
    She had told me it was 210 yuan to stay there but on arrival I was only charged 180 yuan (not bad really but a little pricey by China standards for really what is a 2 star hotel - £18 without breakfast but it was convenient and my taxi from the airport was able to find it easily and the beds were very clean and very comfortable)

An issue though with the heating - the room was very very cold even though there was air con control and a rumbling in the ceiling and some air coming out but nothing was warming up my room. I turned the air con unit off so that I wouldn't have so much noise during the short number of hours available to sleep as it was rather loud.
    There was a drinking water unit provided though with the hot water compartment to it and tea bags provided so I was glad to be able to have some hot tea.
    The room and bathroom was too cold to have a shower until I got up later in the morning - which then the air con was actually providing warm air.

Fast Internet via cable already set up for use in the room.
    Elevator up through the floors so good for seniors - there were big steps out the front and cant remember now if there was any ramp that could be okay for wheelchairs)

Breakfast was available for another 20 or so yuan which I didn't try.

I then had the next 2 nights next door at Sam's hostel - and of which turned out does have some affiliation with the Chong Reng (Sam's manager brought the daily takings over and sorted up the entrance key card from Chong Reng's reception....on our way to being taken around the back to where the hostel rooms are)

That turned out to make things very simple - when I left the hotel room I took my bag to the office next door and to confirm the booking to stay at Sam's Hotels for the next 2 nights.

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo

A very good two star hotel!

This is a funny one really. I looked up where to stay in my trusty travel guide before arriving in Chengdu, and was a little confused to say the least! There is the Traffic Hotel which I stayed in five years ago which didn't leave too good an impression on me, so opted for another this time round. I looked up 'Sam's Guesthouse' which claimed to be efficient enough for a backpacker's needs. So I rang up and thought it a little strange when another name was given (Roncheng) instead of (Sam's Guesthouse)! Anyway I proceeded with the inquiry and was told 120yuan for a twin with no bathroom, or between 190-230yuan for a twin with a bathroom. I rang back shortly after to confirm and she told me 170yuan for a twin WITH a bathroom!!! I thought "shall I ring back a third time to get an even cheaper price?!" Anyway, I booked the two rooms we needed for the last price I was quoted! However when we arrived, Sam told us that we hadn't booked any rooms with him at all! I couldnt believe it! But fortunately they had two rooms so there was no more panic! We then got taken to the two star hotel next door (Rongcheng Hotel) where we were to be staying!!! NOW it all fell into place! The number in the guide book was for the hotel although it says 'Sam's Guesthouse' (Rongcheng)above it! So of course a few minutes later, the hotel was ringing me to ask if I would be arriving soon? I told them I was already booked into their hotel but through Sam! ...

Unique Quality: .........
    So the number in the 'Rough Guide' should be changed, or at least Sam's own private number should be added. The hotel has its own prices for the rooms, and sublets some of their rooms to Sam's for a cheaper price. We paid 180yuan for a twin with bathroom and when I asked at reception for the price of the room through the hotel, they said 200yuan!!! Good thing I never made that third phone call!

The hotel although only two star is very nice and the rooms are three star quality. The hotel has big grounds with a chinese style garden out the back and a restaurant and tea room where you can have snacks at all hours of the day. We had bowls of noodles with different toppings and dumplings and egg fried rice all between 3yuan and 5yuan each...very cheap considering the size of the bowls!!!!

Will definitely stay there again when in town.

Directions: Right next to 'Sam's Guesthouse'.

Comments