Hong Feng Hotel

Cross Road of XueXin Village, Lhasa, Tibet, 850000, China

More about Lhasa

Tooth storeTooth store

Inside PotalaInside Potala

Potala Palace: most famous & holiest site in LhasaPotala Palace: most famous & holiest site in Lhasa

I got this lady while she was praying; easy prey??I got this lady while she was praying; easy prey??

weather

by ohaiyo

Hi everyone,

What is the weather like from mid to late September around the Lhasa area and the base camp of Mt. Everest?

Would it be cold at night?

by GrumpyDiver

We were in Tibet during May, so I suspect the temperature patterns would be similar in September.

The sun goes down, the temperature drops very quickly. The thin air just does not seem to hold any heat, and it does get quite cool and windy, even in Lhasa.

Everest - quite cool, even in the day time. Base camp on the Chinese side is around 5200 m. Strong wind too. The day we were there, it was sunny and the temperature was in the mid-teens, so all I wore was my Gore-Tex jacket to break the wind. My hat, gloves and polar fleece were in the car, and I did use them at other times on the trip.

by lonelypaw

…and your baby was with you on that trip?

by GrumpyDiver

Nope - that was a previous trip when we did Hong Kong / Guilin / Xi'an / Bejing / Macau, and our youngest daughter was just shy of turning 2 on that one. I've got a picture of her in a backpack on the Great Wall somewhere.

The Tibet trip was just the two of us (one of those "special" anniversaries) and we did Shanghai / Chengdu / Tibet (and no, our daughters have not forgiven us for not taking them).

by lonelypaw

ha...... what's the symbol for rolling-on-the-floor? -:))))))

by ricky52

Due to extreme climatic changes the World is experiencing at the moment, trying to predict the weather can be difficult because of local, on the day variations.
Most places now are seeing weather conditions well outside the norm.
The information below should be used as a guide only.

Here is the average weather for Lhasa for this time of year.
Enjoy your holiday.

Daylight hours 12
UV level 11 = Extreme
Humidity = Frost may occur in September

by earthflyer

I went to Tibet in November and then it was bloody cold at night.

Travel Tips for Lhasa

A room with a view!

by grets

As we settled into the room, David called me over to the window and said: “come and have a look at the view Grete”. There, looming over the city like a wedding cake was the Potala Palace! To say I became emotional is an understatement. I didn’t just well up, I cried. I sobbed. I became so overwhelmed by emotions relating to this wonderful piece of architecture with such poignant history, that I couldn’t control myself. I wept for several minutes, and every time we went back to the room, I would be drawn towards the window and this magnificent view, and every time I would feel overwhelmed by emotions. I have wanted to see the Potala Palace for so long, and the final ‘pilgrimage’ if you like, was just so incredibly powerful!

Rainy season

by tompt

When you visit Lhasa in july or august you can expect some rain, as it is the rainy season in that period. We had rain every day in july 2004, but almost always only at the end of the day. So if you go sightseeing always take you umbrella and/or raincoat.

THE LOCAL SATELLITE DISH

by mavl

when going around lhasa (even within the monasteries), don't be surprised to come across one of these. from afar, it looks like a portable satellite dish - which really surprised me, tibet may be more developed than i thought after all.

it's actually a kettle heating device.

i've never seen anything like it anywhere else, as a matter of fact. ingenious, huh?

great photography subject.

Lamaism

by Sharrie

Pictured here is the mani-wall - stones inscribed with mantra.

The soul of Tibet lies in its religion & culture.
LAMAISM is ... (well, I didn't do an indepth study b4 arrival & after departure either, so I shall not attempt to define it; instead here's what I found on the net which at least try to give an insight into it):

Excerpts from The Soul of Tibet - http://www.theosophy.org/tlodocs/SoulofTibet.htm :

What is religion to the Dalai Lama, to Tibetans?

Religion, he says in his book, has got everything to do with the mental discipline, the peace of mind, the calm and poise, the inner equanimity achieved by any human being, which is bound to show in his daily life. The Dalai Lama says explicitly that religion is not a matter of merely going into retreats and monasteries. No doubt when this is done it has its value, but religion is not a matter of outward profession or formal observance. His Holiness does not even use the word 'Buddhism' with anything like a sectarian sound. He is simply not interested in making claims of any sort. Religion means for him something quite different from what it means to almost all of us in the modern world. For him, and for the Tibetans, religion means what it meant in Carlyle's definition – the beliefs by which a man really lives from day to day, not the beliefs to which he merely gives verbal or even mental assent.

....

(Continue on next tip.)

People having a chat!!!

by sugarpuff

Everywhere I go in China, I try to take photos of women in a group drinking, talking or walking...I like to show my mum what she could look like later in her life with her friends..it's just a running joke we have! So this is the one I captured in Lhasa.

Comments