1 Minzu Road, Lhasa, Tibet, 850001, China

Expedia.com Agoda.com Hotelsclick.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 50% more and rated 24% lower than other 4 star hotels

• great location

I would recommend a stay at The Lhasa hotel we did for 4 nights The beds were firm like most beds in China.
    The hotel was clean and the staff friendly and helpful.Breakfasts were both western and eastern with good variety and plentiful.
    Try to get a room on the Eastern side of the complex as these are much warmer than those across the corridor. Internet available at 5 yuan for 15 minutes

Unique Quality: Well located to walk to Summer Palace and Tibet Museum We also walked to the Potala, Jokhang Temple and markets but these are a bit more of a stroll. A good variety of restaurants and a supermarket nearby.

Directions: Western side of main district just north of the Summer Palace

• tonymcenery's Profile Photo

Basic hotel, awful restaurants

The Lhasa is ok, but it is surprisingly basic for the cost - the rooms are far from luxurious and the swimming pool is derelict. The Himalayan restaurant is simply vile - the food was awful. The Yak Cafe is just about ok. The Chinese restaurant is probably the best bet. Worst of all on the food front is the unconstrained spitting and throat clearing that is alive and well in Lhasa. It is really, really off-putting to hear the chef in the kitchen hawking up great gobbets of phlegm while he is preparing your meal. In the words of Viv Stanshall, you just hope he is not hawking up a bouqet garni!

The souvenir shops at the Lhasa are poor - nasty pieces of tourist tat for sale. There is a fairly reliable telephone service available and a foreign exchange counter. The English speaking staff in the desk were very helpful, which was nice. The travel beureau was ok, but manned by staff who barely spoke English. However, the English speaking staff in the desk were more than willing to go to the travel bureau with me and help out, which was very kind of them. They also helped me hire a taxi for an afternoon - a very cheap alternative to joining some tour. I had a car to myself for a whole afternoon for a few pounds - I used it (very succesfully) to tour the monasteries out of town. So - fairly lousy hotel, but fairly good front desk staff.

Unique Quality: English speaking front desk staff - helpful.

Directions: By the Norbulingka.

• Confucius's Profile Photo

The Former Holiday Inn

1997 will always be remembered in Chinese history as the year that the British gave Hong Kong back to the China mainland. Yet it is also the year that the Holiday Inn left Tibet and let the motherland take complete control over this hotel. The result today is the "Lhasa Hotel", which remains better known as "The Former Holiday Inn"
    It's still the best hotel in Lhasa, which simply means you pay 5 star prices for 4 star service. I'm sure "The Former Holiday Inn General Manager" would never let the lobby restrooms run out of toilet paper, but the guest rooms are still comfortable and modern.
    The buffet breakfast is quite good, so make sure it's included when you make reservations. The TV has CNN news channel, which is one of the pleasant amenities left over from the Holiday Inn. The hotel gift shop has outrageous prices, such as 50 RMB for a "Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak" T-shirt. (You can get the same shirts for half that price at Barkhor Bazaar.)
    Don't do your laundry here either, as there is a cheaper place across the street on the north side of the hotel (See additional photo) that only charges 3 yuan per article of clothing.

Unique Quality: The swimming pool was empty during the duration of my stay. In front of the hotel is a great sidewalk bazaar on the left as you walk out the exit. If you turn right and walk for about 12 minutes you'll reach Norbulinka, which was the summer palace of the Dalai Lama.

The Business Center has Internet computers for 5 yuan per half hour. The enthusiastic Tibetan staff at the Business Center will be happy to teach you simple Tibetan phrases that are useful on the streets of Lhasa, free of charge. For example, ask them how to say "thank you" ('two jee chee') or the very catchy "I don't want to buy anything; leave me alone."

Directions: North of the Norbulinka Summer Palace on the west side of Lhasa

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Clean but Expensive

The Lhasa Hotel is large for the area and has very clean rooms. The rooms I stayed in had western style toilets, which seems to be an issue with some travelers. To get to the room from the lobby was quite a long walk, weaving through two buildings.

The hotel is far from most of the Lhasa activities. If you get a taxi from the hotel front desk, it seems to cost a bit more. Walking out to the road to hail a taxi will cost the typical rate of 10yuan.

I would recommend this hotel if you are not on a budget and don't mind taking a taxi everywhere.

Unique Quality: The only outstanding thing I can think of was the clean rooms and bathrooms as compared to some other hotels in Lhasa.

• MaximusTravel's Profile Photo

Not as bad as the Tibet Hotel..

Lhasa Hotel – The hotels in Lhasa are still fairly primitive by most standards – how anyone could call it 4 stars is completely out of the question. Hotels like Lhasa and the Tibet hotel both have an exterior that gives the perception that it is a 4 star hotel, however when you get inside it is a completely different story. Our travel agency was to have us in the Tibet Hotel and actually placed us in the Lhasa for one night due to government officials kicking everyone out of the Tibet Hotel. The Lhasa first put us in a room that had stains and mildew actually growing on the walls. We have traveled to some obscure places but this one won the award on disgusting – especially when your paying 125 to 200 USD a night! We complained they moved us to a better room however the bed is was rock hard. I will say the restaurants and food was good compared to Tibet Hotel. Good selection and prices were very reasonable.

• andronikkie's Profile Photo

...

Lhasa hotel was a very good choice. It has this old world feel and a lot of atmosphere. The rooms are very clean. The in house Chinese doctor was particularly helpful with altitude sickness (in spite of her rudimentary English) .
    The breakfast was amazing. Everything was provided that you can find in a luxury hotel. Regarding dinner, the hotel has this excellent system whereby they provide you with coupons that you can use in any of its three restaurants. You can choose between Indian, Buffet and the Hard Yak Cafe. From the three restaurants everyone in our group chose the Hard Yak Cafe for obvious reasons described in the Restaurants section. Plus, there was a rumour going around that someone saw a cockroach in a soup in the buffet restaurant. This was never verified though.
    The hotel has a little bar, which was rather tasty and some people liked to go there.
    Also there was an internet room. I used it once. The connection was a bit precarious and I lost the email I was writing, but it worked.

Unique Quality: Very good service, friendly staff, overall reliable standards.
    Historically, Lhasa hotel was the first building in Lhasa to sport an elevator.

More about Lhasa Hotel

If you want some luxury (Tibetan-style)...

by tiganeasca about Lhasa Hotel (formerly the Holiday Inn)

Not our first choice, we ended up here nonetheless, courtesy of the Chinese government, which changed our plans. It is not exactly centrally located but I can't imagine a more luxurious hotel in Tibet. You name it, they've got it: two restaurants (including, sadly, the Hard Yak Cafe), laundry, karaoke lounge, coffee-shop, bar, room service, swimming pool, a whole floor devoted to souvenirs of virtually every imaginable kind, air-conditioning, telephones, televisions, 468 rooms (all with private baths). It was renovated in 1999, is largely Chinese-run (except for the local Tibetans lucky enough to have menial jobs), and is modern enough to take credit cards and offer supplementary oxygen!

As to the rooms themselves, the Western rooms (they also offer Tibetan-decor rooms) are fairly standard mid-class American hotel rooms. In fact, though I know this doesn't help non-Americans, picture a typical Holiday Inn. Very clean, very nice. No more.

The sidewalk next to Lhasa Hotel has a big bazaarThe sidewalk next to Lhasa Hotel has a big bazaar

"My Friend" can always be seen next to Lhasa Hotel"My Friend" can always be seen next to Lhasa Hotel

Lhasa hotel

by travelshrink

Has anyone stayed at the Kyichu Hotel in the Tibetan quarter in Lhasa? If so, can you tell me what it was like?
How many days seems like a good amount for Lhasa? What trips outside Lhasa do you recommend? This is for a trip in July.
Thanks.

Re: Lhasa hotel

by ifong

I know this is really late from when you posted your inquiry but I just came back from my travel (a month in Tibet and a month and a half in Hong Kong).

I did stay at the Kyichu Hotel Tibet and it was really really nice -- folks and facilities. The bathroom plumbing has much to be desired but it's nothing that you can't handle. There's internet access on the premises and the hotel is very close to the Barkhor Square; maybe two blocks away. I would stay in this hotel when I go back to visit East Tibet.

I have fallen in love with Tibet. I was there for 28 days, doing the city tour around Lhasa for 2-3 days and then jumping into Landcruisers to head west to Mt. Kailash for the remaining days. (After doing the kora, we headed back towards Lhasa but down to Zhangmu to cross the border to Nepal). Many people may feel 28 days is WAY too long but I could have stayed in the Tibetan Plateau for another month, at least.

Our tour was a trek, thus, we did the kora (aka. circumambulation) around Mt. Kailash and Lake Manasarovar. We camped along the way and back which was really fun. Time flew by, and there's so much to absorb along the way and reflect from our busy daily life.

I don't know what to recommend to you about trips outside of Lhasa as I just went with the tour itinerary that suited what I wanted to see (SAGA DAWA festival; cultural interaction). West Tibet is definately beautiful even though the environment is on the dry side; however, you see lovely landscapes from sand dunes, glaciers and turqouise lakes. Our Tibetan tour guide recommended to see the opposite landscape in East Tibet, where it is green and lush; this will be my next desired trip.

I hope you had an amazing experience as I have. I know I've talked my friends' ears off about Tibet; please let me know what you thought... I had a very very difficult time leaving Tibet . Talk about culture shock, being back in New York City!!

Tashi Delek,