Rongpu Si Hotels

• blueskyjohn profile photo blueskyjohn
  • Reviews: 761

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Everest "base camp": Mount Everest tent city

This is the recommended place to sleep when visiting Mount Everest. There are many Yak wool tents, each has a unique name outside the entrance. It's very interesting to see. A few issues with any of the tents. If you need to go to the bathroom, all the "toilets" are behind the tents on the right (when face Everest). All the "hotels" have tables in front selling Tibetan items and fossils. There is also a post office. Near the post office is where you would catch the bus to the "faux" base camp.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Arts and Culture, Photography, Adventure Travel
  • Written June 12, 2013

• blueskyjohn profile photo blueskyjohn
  • Reviews: 761

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Chomolangma Some Gyi Hotel: Best wool tent I ever slept in!

Although the sign says this is a hotel, all the tents say they are a hotel with interesting names. The Tibetans do have a sense of humor. The name of the tent I stayed in is Some Gyi, pronounced as you would imagine, "some guy." I say it was the best wool tent I've stayed in because I stayed in one similar when traveling in Morocco and slept in the Sahara for the night.

These are not tents like you would think for camping. They are large Yak wool tents that you can stand in and they have a stove. Surrounding the stove are a few tables and a large bench that runs along the interior of the tent. Attached to the tent in back is a kitchen. Each tent serves meals. Very basic meals. A few things to consider when ordering. There is no refrigeration here! I made the mistake of ordering a pork dish for dinner. Needless to say the next several days were extremely uncomfortable. Luckily I brought along Ciprofloxacin and after about 4 doses over the next two days, I was back to normal.

By day, this tent is extremely HOT! I'm not kidding when I say that the temperature inside had to be 120 degrees Fahrenheit! Compounding the fact that you are at nearly 17,000 feet above sea level and probably suffering from some level of altitude sickness, it is one uncomfortable afternoon. I had to resort to taking 1 dose of Diamox. I hate that stuff, but at least I was able to function.

The night's sleep was comfortable. They give you plenty of blankets and the stove stays lit until about midnight. By the way, interesting fuel they use for the stove....Yak dung! Would you expect anything else, lol.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Adventure Travel, Photography, Budget Travel
  • Written June 12, 2013
Tip Photo

• nattybabe profile photo nattybabe
  • Reviews: 241

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Rongphu Monastery: Sleep on top of the world

We had the opportunity to stay at the Rongphu Monastery accomodations. It is dorm style with 3 or 4 beds in a room with not much else! There are heaps of blankets so you'll stay warm and the beds are actually quite comfortable.

There are no facilities to speak of, only a hole in the ground for toilets. You will be given a thermos of hot water from the kitchen if you ask for it.

Although very basic, you wake up to the best view in the world and to the highest sunrise I for one have ever experienced.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive