Xin Long Hotel

Into the GorgeInto the Gorge

20072007

Roadtrip

Hi,

I'm planning a road trip from Kashgar to Urumqi. And I'd like to have some advises and tips how to do that. Is there an agency which does such thing? I'm mostly interested the uygur villages on the way. Any help welcomed!

Thanks!

Kashimark

by Zsaba

Can you be a bit more precise please? I google-d it in every possible context with no results.

by Mozumbus

Ooops! I just marked the link so that I also get responses from other aware posters. Btw, I am also looking for the same info...

by Zsaba

when do you want to do the trip? Maybe we can team up. Do you speak mandarin or uygur?

by Mozumbus

Firstly, a very warm Zsaba welcome to VT, and I hope you will add few things on your homepage so that people here may know a bit about you and your travel passion, this will also help you in attracting more responses....

We can always team up, what is your plan? and where you coming from? I plan to travel overland to, or from, Pakistan. Btw, www.travbuddy.com is another good resource to find travel mates.

For further information about Kashgar and Urumqi, including traveling options, type them in the search box at the top right corner of this page, you will subsequently find Travel Pages/Guides made by VT members based on their real time experiences.

Also, hang around, I am sure a few experienced VT members will reply to your question soon.

Cheers

Muzzammil

Thanks for your welcome!

I'm pretty new in the traveller's world. There's not too much to share yet, but i will eventually. I am Hungarian currently working in Kabul Afghanistan. My plan is to do a roundtrip in the Tarim basin and get to know the uygurs. Appearently they're related to us Hungarians. So I'm very excited to meet them.
My plan is to fly to Urumqi and do a car trip to Kashgar through the northen or southen part of the basin then from Kashgar drive back to Urumqi on the opposite side. Whoever is willing to join me is welcomed.

Thanks for the tips!

Travel Tips for Kashgar

Is this modern city....Kashgar?

by l_joo

Everybody was surprised to look at this big modern city of Kashgar with the main street of 8 lanes wide and high rise buildings. Yes you are not in dream but you are looking at the real big Kashgar already turned into a huge modern city as shown here in all my photos taken by me in the month of June 2004. I wasn't the Kashgar that always appear on TV or travel magazines where we have those, those old traditional scene where a barber or some villagers with cattles. Yes, I still can see some typical Old Kashgar scene but it was in only a small portion inside this huge big modern city, which means the Old Kashgar is already part of this whole thing.

What is in Kashgar?

by l_joo

Tourists can choose to stay in the new modern part or at the old town with the traditional Uyghurs. I saw a city so similar to those I saw in big cities, that's my impression for Kashgar except it has the old town. New areas have many shops mostly owned by Han with contrast to see the traditional Uyghurs still living with their traditions and beliefs where many women cover their face and head completely (yes completely including eyes) by a piece of big brown cloth. Surprisingly I noticed these women can uncover and cover casually in public, they flip up the cloth whenever they want, cover completely yet again to stroll around on the street.

Beautiful Bread

by aukjejetty

The Uyghers make a true piece of art when they make their bread. They decorate it before it goes into the salted oven. They bake it by sticking it against the salty wall. It is great bread, try to get it fresh when it is still warm!

Around the town

by Madmaxola

It's also nice and quiet in the alleys, which is unique for a 'chinese' city. This old man was nice enough to pose for us. He was just getting his donkey ready to go to market, I guess (I didn't ask...)

Lake Karakul

by SallyM

Take a drive up the Karakoram Highway to Lake Karakul, and bring plenty of film/memory for your camera. You will also need your passport, as there is a Chinese checkpoint on the road.

When you reach the lake, 3,500 metres above sea level, you can walk or take a horse or camel ride around the lake, or simply admire the stunning scenery.

Comments