Loulan Hotel

No.2 Guangchang Road, Korla, Xinjiang Uygur, 841000, China

Good For No Data
  • kokoryko's Profile Photo

Best location in town

Loulan is the name of an antic city located not far from Korla. I stayed there in the 13th floor (they are not superstitious here! Me not as well, by the way. . . ). This hotel is located on the Northern side of the great square, which is optimal fort visiting the city and getting around. They have an external lift, which is nice when going to your room, you have a view over the city.
    They have a nice (Chinese) breakfast buffet; I did not have dinner here, and nothing more can be told: it is not expensive for the comfort and service you get. The shower system is a bit strange, and I had no bath tub in my bathroom (I never take a bath, only shower, anyway!). Just a little bit noisy (had to choose between sleeping with open window and hearing noise, or close the window, which I do not like!), and I had the privilege to hear the early morning music for the people making their gym. Ah, and two times, late at night (12 or even 1 am, not sure as I wake up like a zombie) I had calls from female voices which I did not at all understand. . . A Chinese colleague explained me with great laugh, it was very common to receive “massage” calls in many Chinese hotels! I retrospectively think if I only would have replied with my more than very limited Chinese “shi” (yes), what would have happened. . . Well nothing bad probably, just one misunderstanding more. . . .
    Overall good stay at Lulan Hotel!
    Main picture:The hotel is located at the Northern end of the big square; you cannot miss this yellow building.
    Picture 2:The main entrance; notice the name is written in Chinese but also in Arabic characters.
    Picture 3: View from the room over the central square and twin towers.
    Picture 4:View north over a part of the city and to the mountains in the background.
    Picture 5View to East.:

Directions: North East side of central square Korla City, Xinjiang

More about Korla

Kokoryko watching lifeKokoryko watching life

Even little canoes in the desert.Even little canoes in the desert.

Water and sand, again!Water and sand, again!

Tian Shan mountainsTian Shan mountains

Travel Tips for Korla

City scene

by l_joo

I think nowadays if you go to any cities of China, you will not be supriseb to see it like this, I meant the look of modern big city. Korla is just one of them, except that there were so many Uyghur peoples and they are Muslims.

Best food burger

by l_joo

Here is a restaurant trying to look McD. I went in for a look but don't feel the desire to eat, probably too expensive to eat Korlan Burgers with yuan 10 each. I refer to eat rice or Uyghur bread kind of foods.

My lunch

by l_joo

Here is my lunch in a stainless steel lunch plate, it cost about 4 yuan only, taste delicious, very delicious, soup is free. This lunch is at the most crowded place in city centre, couldn't recall the name, but it was the place recommended by my hotel owner, he said the place is the place everybody must go for shopping. I went and I saw really a good place and full of peoples with modern high rise buildings surrounded.

City swimming

by l_joo

In the city centre, there's a big river, there you can see many kids swimming, boys mostly. Some boys completely naked, they just enjoy the cold water, they jump in and climb up and jump in, repeatedly. Probably one of the main activities of Korlan tradition.

Morning gymnastics

by kokoryko

8:00 morning, I hear music from my hotel room; it comes from the big square in front. A short walk before breakfast. Lots of people are making collective gymnastics; several groups of 5 to 50 or more persons with or without music are keeping fit!! It is always strange for me, as a westerner (and a almost pathologic individualist) to see groups performing together. Here in Korla, there are young groups with “leaders” on a stage, other groups wearing the same uniform, smaller groups, making not exactly gymnastic, but rather something which looks like “kata” (the Karate movements), but in a slow decomposed way. . . .
This behaviour is interesting to watch at but I do not understand this mentality to do things same time, same day, same place, with same persons, . . . . well other places other
behaviours, usages, cultures. . .
Main picture: ”Cheer leaders” on the stage and the crowd, following the movements.
Picture 2: Martial music woke me up and seeing this from my window awoke my curiosity
Picture 3: Gymnastics with swords seems also something popular.
Picture 4: The whole crowd tries to keep in the same tempo; I hardly can imagine this in south west France (here I am sure!!) and many other places in Europe!
Picture 5: But there are some individualists it seems, or did he miss the morning session and is catching up?

Comments