Hua Ling Grand

More about Urumqi

Shanxi Mosque, ChinaShanxi Mosque, China

China by-raod over KKH

Hi all,

I am planning travelling round-trip to China by-road (at my own car) enroute KKH. I have had come to Khunjrab Pass in 2002 at my car over KKH.

This time I am planning to cross China via Kashgar and reach upto Uramqi onwards at my car. Certain questions are still pondring in my mind for this travel and I would appreciate to get your valuable comments: -

1:- Are foreigners allowed to enter China (over KKH) at thier own cars?
2:- If yes, what are additional documentations, fees and permissions required in this regard.
3:- What is the condition of road, hotels enroute to Uramqi?
4:- Are driving condtions save on this route?
5:- How long I can go (advice needed) in china by my car, if I ever extend my plan to go to eastren part of China?
5:- Any other additional input in this regard.

Your suggestions, ideas, experiences and advices will be greatly appreciate.

Cheers

Re: China by-raod over KKH

by NAVO

It's feasible for foreigner to self-driving in China in one
province . That means if you if you self-driving in Xin jiang Autonomous area by your own car is ok . But realted documents must be entrusted to a travel agency to apply . Our NAVO team is an self-driving
expert in China . If you wish please contact by yourself !
www. china—driving .com-
info@navo—tour .com-

Hi all,

Thanks for your pointer and help that is found very accurate and helpful.

Cheers

by NAVO

Bon voyage!

Re: China by-raod over KKH

by annminja

hi,
when will u come to china?there is a man from multan paki wanna go to kashgar/urumuqi then to xi'an/bejing.is there any possibility for him to contact u for some infos about the traval? u've ever been to khonjirab.u may could give him some sugesstions.

if it's convenient plz reply me or email him with the address:alifriends2@hotmail.com.

thx a lot!
worm regards

ann

Dear annminja,

I had my plan to execute this trip this year before October, but, from the information I've gathered from VTers and other sources regarding self-driving tours, it does'nt seem possible to complete this trip since this self-driving trip requires extra ordinary documentations and restrictions by Chinese govt for self-drivers.

I am now, once again, re-evaluating the trip, but of course, for the next year. Other than self-driving, going inside China is quite straight forward, all one need is travel visa and one can either enter by road via Khunjrab pass or by air. I had my first entry into China in 2002, on which, I self-drove car upto Sust (last poit in Pakistan) and than accompanied the bus upto Takkorgan, China.

You may forward my VTer "imassadpk" or yahoo ID "imassadpk@yahoo.com" to your freind to contact me directly for any further info.

by annminja

Dear Assad,
thx a lot for ur kindness.
the the guy,muhammad ali would contact u soon. do u have a yahoo messenger? i added u by ur yahoo email id.
if there is any need for the infos of china, u may talk to me freely.

nice day!

Dear annminja,

You are most welcome and many thanks for you offer. I may be online somtimes to shape up my KKH trip into Chian ;-)

Cheers and Love from Karachi, Pakistan.

by alifriends

hello, i want to go to china by road, i am alone, if anyone want to join me,

by imassadpk

Sure, I am already planning my self-driving trip for the next year, if you would like join me next year?

Travel Tips for Urumqi

In Turpan, wander around the...

by bokononist

In Turpan, wander around the bazaar and talk to as many people as you can. They don't get a lot of foreigners in those parts and will be happy to talk to you, particularly if you just say hello in Uigher.

Urumqi

by SallyM

"The Gotham City of Central Asia"

Urumqi is the capital of Xinjiang Autonomous Uighur Province. It is a very new city - the cluster of skyscrapers comes as something as a shock after driving through the desert from Turpan.

The tourist highlight is probably the museum where you can see the mummies found in the Taklamaklan desert.

Urumqi has the dubious distinction of being the city anywhere in the world that is furthest from the sea, a fact which worried me slightly when I was served prawns in a local restaurant!

Comments