Ramada Tunhe

More about Urumqi

Modern Urumqi city, ChinaModern Urumqi city, China

ATM in Xinjiang

by Fish7

I will be leaving for Xinjiang next week. I would like to find out some info on ATM in Xinjiang. Are there a lot of ATMs in Urumqi, Turpan,Kuqa? Do they take Foreign ATM cards? and any fee for the withdrawl? I really appreciate if any of you can provide me the info on this.

RE: ATM in Xinjiang

by Dougann

I don't know about Turpan or Kuqa, although I had no problems with travellers cheques there, but we were in Urumqi a couple of weeks ago and you can withdraw money only from the Bank of China next to the Hoi Tak Hotel, and perhaps the other main one (think it's the south gate). The others won't let you withdraw from foreign cards. The charges are the same as any other Bank of China. If you're going outside of Urumqi and Kashgar, you'd probably be best to get money first.

Doug

by Fish7

Thank you, Doug. The info on ATM are very helpful.

Doug,
Sorry to bother you again. Can you tell me what kind of the electric outlet(three holes or two holes plug) in Xinjiang? Thank you

by Wiley_Coyote

i'm arriving in xinjian tomorrow and i don't expect the electric outlets to be THAT differnt than here in gansu province or sichuan or guangdong or chongqing. yeah, there's quite a variety of outlets here, but almost often they'll have two plugs per outlet. the top being a combo of the two round type (european) and a two flat (US-type)...both will fit in the top socket. the bottom is that funky slanted australian type. every now and then you find the square british type, but if you have an european adapter, you can often jam it in, by sticking something in the ground plug to release the two other ones.

Thank You, Wiley.

by Wiley_Coyote

ATM update...been here in urumqi for a while now and am having an impossible time getting money out of ATMs here. it's been a total nightmare. even the main bank of china and the one next to the hoi tak reject my card (which has worked in every single country i've tried except turkey). there is one ATM at the china merchant's bank on xinhua lu that once allowed me to withdraw 1000RMB, but ever since it hasn't allowed any other withdrawls. anyway, if you're coming here, i suggest a nice wad of cash or traveller's checks as back up as no one (even major airlines) will accept credit cards. the archaic financal system of this place should be an embarrasment to china.

by arcaneanth

I'm with Wiley Coyote. My advice: exchange any money you plan to spend AND cash your travellers checks At The Airport.

I spent a hellish morning trying to cash a traveller's check when I first arrived.

Today I had a very unsatisfactory time attempting to transfer RMB to my bank in the US. My bank had provided the transfer number, etc. but the strange ironic combination of creative buraucry and arcaic money systems of China was very dissapointing.

RE: RE: RE: ATM in Xinjiang

by arcaneanth

Travel Tips for Urumqi

The City's Name

by nepalgoods

"Urumqi" means "A Beautiful Pasture Land" in ancient Mongolian used by the Junggar tribe, which used to live in this area. In Chinese Language it is called "Wulumuqi".

The Ancient Luntai, as Urumqi was called when founded in 7th century, played quite a significant a role on the northern route of Silk Road in the Tang Dynasty, was the only town of tax collection, the only town of management, the town of supply and the first town as well. In the time of Qing Dynasty(A.D.1763) , the emperor Qian Long named the expanded city as "DiHua". UP to A.D.1884, another emperor Guang Xu put up Xinjiang as a Province and the Di Hua city as the capital of XinJiang. After the founding of the people's Republic of China, by Feb.1,1954, the city name was restored to its original meaning e.g. Urumqi .

Today Urumqi is far from being a "beautiful pasture". It is the capital of Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Province with about 2 Million inhabitants.

Abakh Khoja Tomb

by wypip

Abakh Khoja was thre ruler of Kashgar in the 17th century. All five generations of his family were buried within. Among those tombs the Xiangfei Tomb is the well-known one because there’s a legend about her. She was the grand-daughter of Abakh Khoja and concubine of Emperor Qianlong of the Qing period. She was called Xiangfei because of the delicate fragrance from her body. After her death her coffin was brought back to Kashgar(the trip took 3 years) and buried there.

Comments