Ramada Urumqi

More about Urumqi

Morning jog in Urumqi, ChinaMorning jog in Urumqi, China

where is fubar?

by mangoman72

It's come to my attention that that John's cafe has been closed for over three years. I'll be going to Urumqi on the 12th of May and would like to get some up to date information as the present guide books don't seem to be reliable. I've heard of a new foreign owned bar called fubar. Where is it and has anyboy been there?

RE: where is fubar?

by Dougann

I was in Fubar last year after trying to find John's cafe as well, but I don't really remember the address. Below are some slightly dodgy directions from where the old John's cafe used to stand.

Go up the road north from the cafe, and you should see what's called the Taiwanese Cafe or Taiwanese Bar in a shopping centre on the Eastern corner, at that cafe turn left towards the west. I think you first cross a highway and then pass a park, and after the park there's a smaller street on the left (going South), that's got loads of bars all along it. Fubar is about two minutes down this on the left.

I've just had a look on the map I have, but it's not great quality - I think the street is 公园北街, North Park Street.

Doug

Re: where is fubar?

by ellyse

Travel Tips for Urumqi

Time Zone Problems

by Greatwalk0

Remember: Urumqi (and all of Xinjiang Province) are on the same timezone as Beijing. Even though, Urumqi should be approximately 4 or 5 timezones behind Beijing they are the same. Thank the People's Republic for this divine wisdom!

In practice, this means that when you wake up at 8:00 AM, it is still pitch dark in the streets (time schedules are not adjusted to accomodate for daylight hours). This can feel VERY strange and will wreak havic on your internal clock. Bare this in mind when venturing into western China! I remember feeling as though that I was truly in the middle of nowhere. As my first visit to Central Asia, arriving in Urumqi for the first time in winter 2000 was a very exciting experience.

Binglingsi

by wypip

Hundreds of caves with statues and frescoes describing the life and works of Buddha and his disciples. To get there you can take an hour’s speedy-boat ride from Liujiaxia(the big dam at the upper stream of the Yellow River)along the river to Binglingsi.

Comments