Sohotel

my Shadow on Silk roadmy Shadow on Silk road

Travel Tips for Yining

Yining

by nepalgoods

Yining is the capital of Yili Kazakh Autonomous Prefecture. It is located in western Xinjiang Province near the border to Kazakhstan, about 390km west of Urumqi.

Yili the only one prefecture which has jurisdictions over both counties and cities. The total area of the prefecture is 350 thousand square kilometers with the population of 4.08 million of Kazak, Hanzu, Uygur, Huizu, Mongol, Xibe etc are all together forty-seven nationalities, among them Kazak takes 25.4%, Hanzu takes 45.2%; Uygur takes 15.9%; Huizu takes 8.3%; Mongol takes 1.69%; Xibe takes 0.83%.

Taking Fotos

by nepalgoods

Local people in Yining love to have their pic taken. When they see you with your camera, they pose and ask you to take a pic. They smile. And they love to see the pic in the small display of the digital camera. They don't mind, when they do not get the pic. They even do not ask for that.

Yining - Yili

"Why Yining?"

I am organizing group tours to the Silkroad for the Touroperator China Tours in Hamburg. We offer a big tour starting in Almaty, Kazachstan, going to Xinjiang, China, Kirgistan and ending in Uzbekistan. This year (2007) we have a lot of problems with Uzbekistan Airways. They changed schedules and cancelled the tuesday-flight from Frankfurt to Tashkent. We decided to start on Mondays. But now we had a day more for the tour, because we could not change the date for the flight back. What could we do? As we had this long, long day for the busride form Almaty to the Chinese border and further on to Lake Sailim and the trainstation at Bole, I thought, it would be a nice idea to stay overnight somewhere between Almaty and Bole. The only place offering a nice hotel is Yining. But this city is not on the tourist map! It offers just nothing of any touristic interest. But for one night it is ok. And I was lucky enogh to accompany this tour in June 2007!

Yining is sometimes also called Yili as it is the capital of this area at the Yili River. People are not used to see Western people. It is a great place to watch the local people. For more about Yining please see my tips!

"Next Stop on my Trip in June 2007:"

Urumqi

My Urumqi-page is finished - enjoy!

Comments