Dali Hotels

Our Members Say

• Scott3000 profile photo Scott3000
  • Reviews: 4

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Jade Emu International Guesthouse: World Class Hostel -- Highly Recommended!

I have spent a total of four months at the Jade Emu, half in 2008, half in 2009. The Jade Emu is run by Australian Dave & his Chinese partner, Song. Service is prompt, cheerful, and accommodating, the facilities are kept spotlessly clean and correct -- including 24/7 hot water -- even during the rainy season (most Dali water heaters are solar powered, so this feature can be a big deal July-September).

Amenities and services include:

-The Jade Emu is designed to be fun for budget to mid-range travelers.

-Bilingual English and Chinese speaking staff. Owners Dave and Song are on hand to help with your more special requests.

-Splendid courtyard.

-Wifi internet coverage is 100%, constantly monitored, and fast throughout the premises (rooms and common areas).

-Common room with free use of DVD player and hundreds of movies to choose from, satellite tv, two computers for guests, and a library of books featuring LP and other travel guides for your use.

-Pool table is impeccably maintained. You can also wager a Tsingdao beer against a free night's lodging in a pool game against Dave. Good luck!

-Bike rental.

-Travel/tour assistance.

-Restaurant-Café-Bar. Breakfasts and local Yunnan dishes recommended.

-International style checkin/checkout for your convenience. A pleasant surprise for anyone who has spent time traveling around China!

-Ideal location: five minute downhill walk to RenMin Lu/Bo Ai Lu intersection, so you're close to downtown. The Jade Emu lies at the base of lofty Cang Shan Mountain Range in a residential neighborhood, so there's no downtown noise.

-Rooms and common areas are spotlessly kept at all times.

-Bar, patio, and pool table area are a fun alternative to hang out and meet new friends in the evening. The bar closes precisely at 12 midnight, in consideration of sleeping guests. (But downtown is conveniently nearby if you want to stay up late partying).

The Sino-Ozzie management set up works out to be a highly effective combination. Dave is a world traveler himself, familiar with most of China and Southeast Asia, so he knows exactly what your ideal hostel experience should be like. His goal is to offer you that experience. Song manages the Chinese staff to help you resolve some of the complexities of travel in China without a hitch. The more time you've spent in China, the more you will appreciate this service.

As a world traveler (North America, South America, Europe and Asia), I've found the Jade Emu sets the standard that others can only dream of attaining.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written February 1, 2010

• richardpe profile photo richardpe
  • Reviews: 1

Sam's Hotel: Great hotel, superb value, lovely bedroom

I checked into Sam's Hotel the day after having a drink there one evening and I loved every day I stayed. It's run by Bai local Sam who is a really friendly and helpful English speaking chap. My bedroom was spacious & modern and it was a good price. My large double was only 120rmb. The Hotel had a restaurant and bar and I ate brilliant Chinese noodles every day for breakfast.

Sam told me that he has been leading groups of International travelers across the length and breadth of China for over 10 years and he was of invaluable help to me.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Backpacking, Photography
  • Written May 11, 2009

Sam's Hotel

• Willettsworld profile photo Willettsworld
  • Reviews: 8151

No.6 Guesthouse: Lovely family run guesthouse

I was actually trying to find Guesthouse No.3 when this guy came up to me after getting off the bus and started to lead me to Guesthouse No.6 (which was in the same direction as where I was going). We got to a street where a stream runs down the middle and pointed towards a nice looking building which was the guesthouse. I decided to take a look as it looked good from the outside and was shown a room which was nicely furnished and was what I was after so I decided to take it for RMB80/night. The guesthouse features wooden balconies and the whole place surrounds a central courtyard with some kind of tower building in the middle. It's run by a family who are very nice and they also have free internet for you to use.

• Written November 7, 2008
Tip Photo

• elpariente profile photo elpariente
  • Reviews: 1600

Xiu Yuan: Un buen hotel / A good hotel

El hotel está fuera de las murallas muy cerca de la Puerta Oeste .
Llegamos aquí porque nos trajo el taxista que nos llevaba desde la estación de Dali , al principio nos disgustó , porque hacen lo que quieren , pero decidimos ver las habitaciones . Era un hotel completamente nuevo , muy limpio , no hablaban nada de inglés pero costaba 80 Yuan
Decidimos quedarnos y pasamos cuatro días estupendos , teníamos hasta una terraza desde podíamos ver el lago y la puesta de sol

The hotel is out of the walls near the West Gate.
We came here because , the taxi driver who took us from the station Dali , decided to take us there , we didn´t like at the beginning, because they do as they want, but we decided at least to see the rooms. It was a completely new hotel, very clean, they did not speak any English but it cost 80 Yuan
We decided to stay there and we had a good time the four days we were there.
We had a terrace looking the lake and we could see also the sunset

• Written April 12, 2008
Tip Photo

• dutchboycalledjan profile photo dutchboycalledjan
  • Reviews: 300

MCA Hotel: Scenic hotel near the city

Again, we felt very lucky with he hotel we're booked into: the MCA Hotel. It is build in a traditional style with lot of courts, plants and antiques. The views from some of the rooms are splendid. It is on walking distance of the old city, in a street with mainly carpenters.

Staff speaks good English, the kitchen is adequate, breakfast is a large buffet with both western and chinese food. Internet!

Tropical atmosphere; every room is different.

• Written August 26, 2007

• racayadi profile photo racayadi
  • Reviews: 54

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

MCA HOTEL: Cheap but noisy...

too noisy in the morning..... 6:00am.... locals scream...
location is perfect....
free Internet....
80rmb for double bed with bathroom......

15rmb western/chinese buffet breakfast...
- good info on buses to Lijiang -- 65rmb - they pick you up and take you to station....

• Related to: Historical Travel, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written April 23, 2007

main entrance area....

• raraavis profile photo raraavis
  • Reviews: 153

MCA Hostel/Tibetan Lodge: Good for overnight stay

I must be getting old. Paying more for comfort is moving up the list with each passing birthday. Even though MCA is one of the better hostels in Dali, I still felt like roughing it. I guess for 100 RMB, you can’t ask for much.

We had a standard room. The bed was clean and comfy. Bathroom was in the middle of the room - a raised big box containing shower, sink, and toilet. Hot running water is available. The shower is tricky to use. Don’t spray yourself. I’d definitely bring my own towel if I had to stay there again. Other amenities in the room are basic but all functional.

Other services include meals, drinks, free internet and a not so clean swimming pool. Bus and tour tickets can be booked at the front desk. English speaking clerks are around during the day.

Located 5 minutes outside Old Dali on Remin Lu.

Standard room is 100 RMB, may vary between low and high seasons.

Nice view of Cang Shan (Cang Mountain) from the garden
Free laundry service for hostel guests

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Study Abroad
  • Written June 6, 2006

MCA garden with Cang Shan in the background

• elva199 profile photo elva199
  • Reviews: 71
purple flowers

We didn't live in this hotel, actually. We passed it everyday. Just the door attracted me a lot.
There is a small swimming pool, a comfortable WC, a internet cafe in the yard. Many foreigners stay here.

• Written February 16, 2006

• BluBluBlu profile photo BluBluBlu
  • Reviews: 754

No2 Guest House

I stayed here back in April 1987, when China was relatively off the beaten path. Whilst staying here I was told that that evening there would be 'dancing & singing' in the main reception area. When I arrived there were about ten travellers, and about 150 locals! A fun evening with local traditional songs & dances. They even got us travellers dancing & singing!

• Written August 10, 2005

• wenzhi_travels profile photo wenzhi_travels
  • Reviews: 25

MCA Guesthouse: A Dali Getaway

We stayed at the MCA Guesthouse from 4/31 to 5/5, for five nights. We stayed in a double with bathroom which at the time of our stay costed 150 Yuan, or $18 a night. The room we selected was decorated with Bai furniture and came equipped with a comfortable but cramped unit bathroom. Despite a musty smell, it was very comfortable. The main reason to stay at MCA is not the room, but the ambience. The double courtyard arrangement of the buildings, the attractive gardens and trees decorating the place, and the high number of expat residents gives the place a relaxed and social feel. MCA has a pool and a restuarant that sells tasty western food at very low prices compared to prices in Eastern China.

At the time of our stay, the hotel's German Shepard had just birthed 6 puppies. The puppy's presence lent the place a constant, playful and energetic feel. This place is great for dog lovers. All the receptionists and waiters at MCA speak great English and are extremely helpful in arranging tickets, sightseeing, and in giving recommendations. The many foreigners here create an international and very sociable atmosphere.

• Written August 7, 2005
Tip Photo

• johnmperry profile photo johnmperry
  • Reviews: 27

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Qingdao Guesthouse: Earplugs not included

Got off the bus in the centre of town and just walked until we found somewhere suitable.
Usual facilities - "24-hour" hot water (Not); western toilet; electric blanket; TV. But the annexe room where I was butted onto the disco, which started after I'd checked in. Plenty of thumping until after 1 a.m.

I paid 60RMB for double room for night.

Main hotel looked comfortable enough.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written February 23, 2005

• rickfranksson profile photo rickfranksson
  • Reviews: 3

San Ta Yuan Hotel: Converted monastery

Supposedly "not suitable for foreigners," but we found it very suitable. The staff were great, though they did not speak much English. There were little challenges--the English language menu in the restaurant was pitiful, but you can get food in town. Several things needed to be fixed, but they were fixed promptly. It is somewhat outside the Old Town, but still within walking distance, and they offer shuttle service; to get back, we used a horse-drawn cart and a motorized pedicab.

It was lovely, consisting of various room compounds surrounding courtyards with ponds. Due to its location, it was also very quiet. We had been in more typical group tour hotels during our trip, and Santa Yuan was a refreshing change.

• Written January 28, 2005

• vigi profile photo vigi
  • Reviews: 1195

Yu'an Garden (No 4 Guesthouse): Nice Rooms + Garden. Free Internet

This is so far the best and clean guesthouse I saw in Dali. Beautiful garden, relax atmosphere, clean and spacious rooms, free internet. However, I didn't stay here, simply because one Spanish couple got broke-in in their room. Their passports and cash were gone while sleeping at night. Seems like someone has the room keys. Many people in town was saying "Don't stay in No. 4). I hope everything will be fine here when I go back next time.

• Written January 11, 2005
Tip Photo

Yu'an Garden (No 4 Guesthouse)

• vigi profile photo vigi
  • Reviews: 1195

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Old Dali Inn No. 5 Guesthouse: Smelly Room, Free Internet

I didn't stayed here. Checked out 2 rooms, and both were VERY SMELLY. Obviously they didn't wash the bed sheet & pillow cover after previous customer check out. And immediately, I said NO. I rather sit in a bar until morning if I couldn't find a place to stay.

Dorm 15Y
Double Room shared bathroom 30Y

• Written January 11, 2005

Old Dali Inn No. 5 Guesthouse

• Ines28 profile photo Ines28
  • Reviews: 244

Old Dali Inn No. 5 Guesthouse: Traditional Bai Guesthouse with nice courtyard

We only stayed 2 nights in this guesthouse but enjoyed it very much. Our room with attached bath and even TV was very comfortable and clean. Maybe we would not book breakfast again, it was not mentionable and you can get food at reasonable prices everywhere. Nevertheless, the staff is friendly and you can get bus tickets for many destinations at the front desk.
Cheap food and beverages!

They have a waterwheel in the front of the building which is quite picturesque, the inner courtyard is beautiful with big plants and a small watercourse. In the bathroom we found shampoo, shower foam and cap and even a comb and two toothbrushes!
We were provided with enough complimentary tea each day, but the best thing were the heatable blankets!
Internet is free, they have 5 computers or so.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average