Camellia

See Amenities
Richard.GVA's Profile Photo

Good value

by written on June 26, 2010

Comfortable 3-Star hotel in good location. Good travel agents next door, office of Lao Airlines inside the hotel, friendly and very helpful staff, good breakfast buffet.

Unique Quality: Good value for money, excellent location.

Directions: Banking district, next to Yunnan Stadium

elpariente's Profile Photo

Hotel

by written on April 11, 2008

Muy cerca del aeropuerto y del centro .
El hotel está bien y tiene buen precio y desayuno occidental

Very near of the airport and the city center .
The hotel is nice and has good price and western breakfast

bpacker's Profile Photo

The Most Convenient Place to Stay in Town

by written on January 4, 2008

Though many guide books say that this joint is a little 'rough' around the edges, I give it 2 thumbs up. The double bed room was clean, there was a hot/cold water dispenser, a great bathroom and a gigantic breakfast buffet spread.On top of that, there's excellent transport services to the Stone Forest and travel agencies to help you with the visa for your Tibet trip.

What more can you ask for?

Tips
Note: Remember to book in advance before going. This hotel is incredibly popular with foreign and local travellers alike.

How to go there: Don't bother struggling with the road name. Just say "Cha Hua Bin Guan" (Camellia Hotel) to any cab driver. They all know where the joint is.

Unique Quality: 1)Transport/Visa Arrangement to Tibet
2)Transport Arrangement/Tour to Stone Forest
3)A Full Buffet Breakfast that will please Fat Bastard
4)Reasonably Rates ( a mere fraction compared to the 5* hotel opposite)
5)Free Transport to Airport

xaver's Profile Photo

Cheap and confortable

by written on October 15, 2007

This is really a nice and cheap hotel, probably one of the best experiences I had in Kunming.
Rooms are wide and confortable, great bathrooms exc. for a price of 20 euro for a double room.
The only pity is that there is no minibar in the room, but I have never seen one during all my trip in Yunnan, so it must s sort of cultural tip there.They arrange free pick up at the airport if you arrive before 5 pm and free shuttle from the hotel when you leave.
Check out is before 2 pm and there is internet service in the lobby for 1 euro per hour.

Unique Quality: Rooms are really big and in the lobby you have a travel agency that sells bus and train and flight tikets for many destination around China.

Limclarence's Profile Photo

Cheap budget hostel

by written on October 27, 2006

This hotel has both budget and normal accomodation. If you are intending to do any side trips in Yunnan, be sure to check out Mr. Chen's office over at the hostel building first floor. He will help you with your travel plans :)

explorer001's Profile Photo

The "recommended" hotel - but I disagree

by written on October 18, 2006

Camelia hotel runs both budget (dorms) and normal rooms.. I got the budget twin room for about RMB 120 ( Sept 05).
The room is a bit run down, and i think the building needs some new paints.

If you're looking at that price range, for a bit more, I'd go for the other hotel (Ming Du) - see my next hotel tip

I didn't managed to check out the dorm rooms , therefore unable to comment.

Unique Quality: It's convenient (located on DongFeng Dong Lu) - in the middle of the city.

Avieira67's Profile Photo

Hostel

by written on May 18, 2006

I only stayed here for a night, when I travelled from Shenzhen airport to Kunming.
Conditions in the hotel are good, and they also provide dorms for backpackers for a cheap price with reasonable conditions...
I stayed in a dormitory, 25-30 CNY, and I found no very good conditions. The room was cleaned, but was narrow... Bathrooms are really bad and, in my opinion, dirty.
If you are a backpacker and need this hostel for only a night, I recomend it. Otherwise, stay in the hotel rooms.

Unique Quality: I stayed here because of the location, not too far from the airport and relatively close to the bus and train stations. You can go to the train / south bus station on foot [20 min.]

janeword's Profile Photo

Good accommodation

by written on March 30, 2006

I stayed two days at this hotel. Cost: $23 per night, single. Pleasant, but no elevator to third floor room. Western toilet, and bathtub. Dining room/bar area with piano player. Sauna and massage.

Edy8's Profile Photo

A very good service-oriented hotel

by written on May 11, 2005

One of the best hotels I stayed in China is this cosy tourist-oriented hotel. I did not know what a Camellia looks like but certainly there is a well-kept garden in the hotel where the singing of birds could be heard early in the morning as we tucked in our breakfast. The staff speaks fluent English and knows the needs of the tourist. We went on a day trip and returned only in late evening, without paying for the room charge for the day. On our return, we were welcome back when we gladly settled the account! The hotel also provides exchange services expeditiously. Their laundry services is speedy and cheap.

We would gladly recommend this hotel to budget travellers.

Unique Quality: Reasonably good buffet breakfast taken in the comfort of a matured garden with birds singing... It was great!

Directions: Near to a Sports Complex. According their phamplet, Bus No 5 could get you there. But a metered taxi would be more convenient.

bhemak's Profile Photo

The good place to stay

by written on May 11, 2005

This hostel is attached to a hotel. It is one of the more comfortable hostels I've been in. I wound up staying here for almost two weeks. The bathrooms were clean and plentiful. It had a kitchen to use, and also a lounge. Most rooms have a view of the garden / courtyard below. The staff at the hotel part spoke decent english and were of some help.

Directions: On Dongfeng dong lu east of both Beijing Lu and Baita lu. North side of the street.

swesn's Profile Photo

KUNMING

by written on February 24, 2004

Pros:
- Centrally located
- Comfortable beds
- Fronted by a swanky hotel reception, with a travel agent for not-so-easy booking of tickets (as they do not speak English)

Cons:
- Room is tiny
- Shower cubicles in toilets have no doors or shower curtains and yet, the door to the toilet is not locked and yet, the door is along a public corridor... Hence, one feels rather insecure while taking a shower.

Dorms: Y30

kpyam2000's Profile Photo

Budget / Mid-Range Place to Stay

by written on February 13, 2004

Triples (beds that is) with attached bath - RMB 250 per night. Comes with electric blanket (hmm..toasty) and satellite TV. Bargain.

Dorm beds - RMB 30. Grand bargain for the budget traveller.

Unique Quality: Decent buffet breakfast for RMB 20.
Nice dining atmosphere.

vigi's Profile Photo

Camellia Hotel Dormitory

by written on September 29, 2003

View inside my dormitory. Each room can accomodate 8 persons, but usually they only take 4 per room, so, pretty spacious. Bring your own lock! Each one allocated with a locker for storing backpacks.

Directions: Take bus #63, alight in Provincial Stadium Station.

vigi's Profile Photo

Camellia Hotel Dormitory

by written on September 5, 2003

Basically, I am very happy with this hostel,m very clean & tidy, 24-hour hot water shower, common kitchen with refrigerator, laundary area for hanging/drying clothes, and SAFE! If you stayed here before, did you ever wounder why there's no mainland Chinese tourists staying here? Because they are not welcomed!

I called to check for bed availability, speaking Mandarin, they asked for my Youth Hostel membership and told me it cost 100Yuan for a dorm bed! Ridiculous, of course, I replied, then they stared asking where I came from, when I mentioned Hong Kong, the girl immediately changed her toned and said "OK, we have bed available, please come down personally and we'll arrange it for you!" Finally, I got it at 30Yuan when I showed my passport.

This happened again when I renewed my bed the second day, when I spoke Mandarine to the girl in counter, and told me that no bed for me, my bed was taken up. Until I showed my passport again, yes, again, and my first day receipt, then she said OK. I ran back to my bed, and found every of my stuff still hanging there, nobody cleared and occupied my place.

Well, I can say there's Pros and Cons they practice this descrimination against local mainland travellers. The Pros of course are safety and cleaniness. Cons, Chinese being decriminated, especially in a Chinese place, will never be a good feeling!!!

Directions: Take bus #63, alight in Provincial Stadium Station.

l_joo's Profile Photo

Here's is Kunming Chahua Youth...

by written on August 25, 2002

Here's is Kunming Chahua Youth Hostel, look at the logo on top right corner, that's it. The dormitory room we stayed cost RMB30 each person with shared bathroom, good condition and very convenience. This is the hotel for most FIT and backpackers. We can't find any guesthouses in Kunming, this is the only one we found for budget tourists. If you want to apply Laos Visa, here they provide all the services because the Laos Embassy is inside this hotel. Also if you want to visit Lhasa, this is the right place for you too, they offer 2550 Yuan for return air ticket to Lhasa including Tibet Visa.

Directions: The location is very easy, in the city center's tourist street. Ask for Chahua hotel, the taxi will send you there charge 8 Yuan.

Meg_nanako's Profile Photo
Meg_nanako Mar 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Do note that the subway construction i underway right outside Camellia now and thus it makes flagging a taxi difficult.
Hotel is also very dated. Breakfast comes free with room, and they have bread and coffee plus a variety of other things, so quite a good deal. It's cheaper to book on their chinese website.

Nearby Camellia

9 Photos of Camellia

Amenities at Camellia

• Restaurant

Kunming Travel Forum

Need advice about Kunming, China? Visit the Travel Forum for Kunming and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Kunming hotel reviews

Fairyland Hotel Express (Kunming Baida)
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews