Empark Grand Hotel Kunming

Agoda.com Travelocity Tingo.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 53% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Kunming

Look at this in enlargementLook at this in enlargement

The sign of 'Shilin' (Stone Forest)The sign of 'Shilin' (Stone Forest)

Stone ForestStone Forest

Hard to find the causeHard to find the cause

Questions about markets and shopping in Kunming

by picknick

Hi,
I will like to buy some winter jackets (down jackets) in Kunming city. Can I get it at very good prices at the markets? Any places other then the markets that sells jackets at good prices?

I have heard of Nanyao market, Luosiwan Market, etc. Which market can I buy stuff at better prices generally? Which market caters more for locals and which for tourist?

Are these markets open at night? Which market opens at night, and until what time?

Thanks.

RE: Questions about markets and shopping in Kunming

by lvhongxia

Luosiwan area is a clothes wholesale center, you can have a lot of choices to buy different clothes and shoes,but in most shops of luosiwan area, they are selling midddle class or lower class clothes.but there is one good place in that area, it is called 双龙商场(shuang long shang chang, not so far from the railway station in the downtown), more and more local people like to go there for shopping, coz there are nearly all kinds of clothes of different brands in it, if you are good at negotiation, usually you can get lower price than you buying same thing in other places. it is quite big, and on the first floor, the shops are selling cheap things(quality is ok), on the second floor the quality are better also price higher, and the third floor more higher......hehe, you can go there to have a look, it is good to go from monday-friday in the day time, coz on saturday and sunday too many people. after 18:30 it closed.
good luck!
Lanny

RE: RE: Questions about markets and shopping in Kunming

by picknick

Thank very much Lanny.

I will try to go to 双龙商场 when I am there, but I am free mostly at night.

Can you also tell me if any good places to shop for clothes at night after 8pm? I have more time for shopping at night. Thanks.

RE: Questions about markets and shopping in Kunming

by lvhongxia

then you can visit some super markets :-)

Re: Questions about markets and shopping in Kunming

by chinaguy

The Nanyao market and Luosiwan all is very good prices open 8:00am to 10:00pm .

Travel Tips for Kunming

Shi Lin (Natural Stone...

by l_joo

Shi Lin (Natural Stone Forest). Most tourists come here just to see this, be careful with the one-day-trip package. The ode-day Stone Forest trip is another, always remember, they will send to Jade shop, medicine shops and etc waisting at least 2 hours also they send you to big expensive restaurant for lunch. About our Jinghong dinner of Roasted Beef. This is a traveloque of my visit to Jinghong, it's a smaller city South of Kunming, near to Laos and Myanmar. It wasn't our plan at first to visit Jinghong but was to Mengla, a town much smaller, dirtier and uglier than Jinghong that's wy we skip that. Menglas is a town with ugly constructions everywhere with some Mao's slogan on walls. We bought a ticket in the bus station of Mengla immediately after our bus drop us from the border of Laos. Later we spent about 4 hours to Jinghong, along the way we saw some real beautiful villagers' farming on the hill top of padi, watermelons and etc. About 6pm we arrived at Jinghong, easy to find a hotel because here they don't go for the stupid 'Aliens rules', the room cost 40 Yuan, nice clean. The weather here was cold to us because we came from Laos, bus station was very easy just next to the hotel, we bought an early ticket to Dali then it's time for dinner. We asked the hotel owner what to eat here? Without second thought, he recommend the Dai Minority's Roast and Fried. We follow the direction walking acrossing the Myanmarese market selling Jades and souvenirs until somewhere nea the riverside, there we can see a hawkers center very crowded, yeah that's the one. Now let me tell you, this is the best food we have ever tasted so far in China, I ranked it as number one in my China page ahead of everything, try the roasted beef especially, to be honest to you, it is so facking delicious! trust me. We also enjoy the famous YanJing beer and if you like massage, there are 5 or 6 girls standing by waiting to offer you their service but just some extra charges.

Green Hats

by honurox

It all started right after I arrived in Kunming, and the whether became a little chilly. So I unpacked my old hat that I have had for years.

I would wear this hat as any person with a cold head would. But I did notice people were looking at me funny, and the guards that would normally salute would kind of snicker as I walk by. One of my teachers even made a pointed out in front of the whole class about how ugly my hat was, and I should not wear that any more. It is just a normal wool, nothing seem out of the ordinary about it.

One of my friends knitted a scarf, and told me that it was better then my hat. I gladly accepted the scarf; it seemed to complement my hat.

It all made since one chilly morning.
It was a day when classes was cancelled, but we were all told that it was mandatory that we all go to the sports field to help support or school athletes on the open day of sports week.

I show up, 7 am (because it was mandatory), in the cold, (none of my class mates showed up) with my green hat place proudly on my head.
As I waited along side about 3000 other students, while wearing my hat.

At that time a teach from a other class came over to explain the whole “Green Hat” thing (and I’m still not 100% sure on the whole story)

But basically if a man wears a green hat it means his wife is fooling around on him. And no man in China wears a green hat.

Now, this is not some funny folk story and only a few people know, EVERYONE knows about it, and you miles well be walking around with a big sign that says “MY WIFE CHEATS ON ME!” (And I’m proud of it too)

I later asked my friend why the never told my about it. Most of them said that they were too embarrassed to, plus I looked so happy wear my hat.

It sure is nice to have such good friends and teacher. Now to get back at my friends, when evey we go some place I alway wear the hat to embarrass them. As my teacher tells me: It's a good thing I have no shame.
So if anyone know any more details about this green hat thing, let me know

Hills hills and more hills

by hooiluangoh

This area is to the north of Kunming. Takes about 45 minutes. You probably need a car, otherwise take the minibus in Fu4 Min2's direction.

Once you pass the tunnel, the landscape suddenly changes to country Yunnan. The air is a lot fresher, and you see veg gardens, and hills one after another, on both sides of the road.

It's a pleasure to just drive along. Stop anywhere, and you can go hiking. There are people living up the hills I heard.

Taxi to/from the airport

by hooiluangoh

Kunming international airport is in the south east of Kunming city. Takes about 30-45 minutes to get to the city centre, depending on the traffic condition (yes, there are enough cars to cause a traffic jam).

Taking a taxi into the city is very easy. The taxis wait right outside the airport, and they run on meter. Flag fare RMB 7. It costs about RMB 25 to RMB 30 to a CBD location, say the Green Lake. No taxi ticket/pass whatever. You pay cash to the driver upon arrival on your destination. No surcharge on luggage etc except for a 20% midnight surcharge after 10pm, which is already built into the meter reading. So you still pay what the meter says.

A Cafe to meet foreigners and to relax

by hooiluangoh about French Cafe

The Chinese name of the cafe is Lan, Bai, Hong (Blue, White, Red), which are the colours on a French flag I assume.

The salads are superb.

The soups are good for health.

The pizzas are for two to share - you can't complain !

There is a French lady behind the counter sometimes, presumably the owner, so the taste will suit any westerner, hopefully.

There are also many other items on the menu - tarts, lassi, quiche, hamburgers etc

There is also an ad board for those looking for jobs/accommodation/friends. And chinese chessboard, and a library full of travel and other books. Ku Ting tea - RMB 5
Carror salad with tuna - RMB 8 (not sure)
Lan Bai Hong pizza - RMB 24 (not sure)

Comments