New Nanjiang Hotel

No. 241 West Dong Feng Road, Kunming, Yunnan, 650031, China
Xiyi Hotel Kunming
Agoda.com Ctrip.com

More about Kunming

For a Yuan you can ring the bellFor a Yuan you can ring the bell

On the way up to Longmen (Dragon Gate)On the way up to Longmen (Dragon Gate)

What I see in the sleeper bus if I lifted my headWhat I see in the sleeper bus if I lifted my head

Excellent that many Chinese have mobile phonesExcellent that many Chinese have mobile phones

YuanYang sidetrip

by SandiM

I will be in Kunming March 8 2006. I want to try to get to YuanYang to take early morning photos (or early evening photos) of the YuanYang rice terraces. I only have 24 hrs to do this (by bus or other method). Does anyone know the bus schedules from Kunming to Yuanyang, and from YuanYang back to Kunming? Where do I get the bus from? Is there a tour company that can take me out and back in a day? I don't need a lot of time to explore--I can get quite a lot of photos done in about 1-2 hrs, regardless of the weather conditions. I'm booked at the Camellia hotel however they could not tell me much about YuanYang.

RE: YuanYang sidetrip

by ellyse

I don't think you could manage it, unless you could hire your own vehicle. There's no bus that goes directly to Yuanyang from Kunming, you'll need to change buses at least once. Even a 2-day trip would be pushing it.

Travel Tips for Kunming

Train

by vigi

This is the first time I took long distance train to China, I used to fly. I was taking the air-con hard-sleepers. Unexpectedly, the train is much better than the one I took in Thailand and Italy! An "A" for them. This photo show where I slept in the 30-hour train from Hong Kong to Kunming.

Addressing the males and females

by jackiesg

In Kuming, you shall address the female as "Ar Si Ma" and the male as "Ar Hei Ge"

Don't call them "Miss" in chinese which is "Xiao Jie" because to them, "Xiao Jie" means those who works in nightclubs and bars.

Watch people fly kites

by hooiluangoh

Go to Daguan park, or the Greenlake in the late afternoon when the weather is fine.

You will see men (no women, interesting...) holding a wheel-like apparatus, which is actually the tool used to roll the string that is tied to their kite high up in the sky.

Train from Kunming to Guilin

by Avieira67

Trains going to Guilin leave from the main train station.
Picture 1 - Main Train Station;
Picture 2 - An example of a train ticket with translation into Portuguese. By the way, was the ticket I used when traveling from Shanghai to Suzhou.

Origem - Origin
Trem - Train
Destino - Destination
Date - ano/mês/dia, year/month/day
Hora de partida - Departing time
Carruagem - Carriage
Lugar - Seat
Preço - Price

The class of the ticket is written at the right upper corner.

Best chinese pancake in town

by hooiluangoh about A little roadside stall (only takeaway)

It's a classic case of simple food, great taste.

The pancake costs RMB0.50 each. It is made of wheat flour, shaped like a soft-angled rectangular pillow, with a very tiny sugar filling inside. (there is also a savoury choice, but I prefer the sweet one)

The whole thing is then slapped onto the wall of an oven, much like the Indian naan I think, for a few minutes, and viola !

Eat it when it is still hot, you can also add some honey to it to make it sweeter. It goes very well with a cup of hot yunnan coffee, which unfortunately is not this owner's core business. So take away to French cafe, and order a cup of Yunnan coffee. You won't regret it. sweet wheat flour pancake, what else ?

Comments