Xiong Ye International Hotel

Expedia.com Agoda.com Travelocity

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Kunming

ethnic minority art and archeologyethnic minority art and archeology

Dark grey rocks found in ShilinDark grey rocks found in Shilin

Yunnan Nationalities VillageYunnan Nationalities Village

Waiting for helpWaiting for help

Kunming in April and Sichuan in August?

by londontraveller

Hi there, I am going to China two times next year and have only time to visit either Sichuan or Yunnan - I am wondering if it is better to visit Yunnan in April and Sichuan in August or Sichuan in April and Yunnan in August? I am concerned about rain more than the hot weather as I will like to see more of the nice outdoors. I will be in China in April for the first two weeks of April and also in the last 2 weeks of August. Thanks!

Yunnan in April, Sichuan in August

by Confucius

You'll want to get wet in Yunnan during April, though it won't be because of the rain. The middle of April is when the traditional water splashing festival takes place in Xishuangbanna and other areas. Don't miss it!
In late August it's difficult to go anywhere in south China and avoid precipitation. Sichuan's northern mountain areas, particularly Jiuzhaigou, would be refreshing as there are many scenic waterfalls there.
Have fun!

RE: RE: Kunming in April and Sichuan in August?

by londontraveller

Hi thanks for your advice - I heard it is better to go to Jiuzhaigou in August as it is more lush and a bit warmer than in April where there is still some danger of freak snow and also some lakes etc might be drier and frozen - is it true?

Travel Tips for Kunming

Dragon's Gate

by nepalgoods

Around Kunming you can find a lot of touristy and not touristy places. Dragon's Gate is one of the more touristy places. At Dragon's Gate you find several still working Buddhist temples and nice forests for hiking. Beware of soldiers while hiking in the forest! Part of it is military zone.

Don't be paranoid

by Moloney

For this tip I carefully studied the list of catagories available under which I could include it. It was only by the broadest possible interpretation of "local custom" that I felt I could do so. Cos this isn't really a tip. It's really more of an anecdote (OH GET ON WITH IT WILL YOU??!)

..anyway I was going for a walk in the city when a middle aged guy wearing aviator shades and sitting on the riverbank called out "Hey! Come here!". Back home anyone might well continue walking but I'd had some experience of the chinese "charachter" and realised that this apparent abrupt-ness was probably unintentional.

So I approached with some caution. After quizzing me with the usual stuff: where are you from and so forth he says:"Please-be careful. There are many moslems in Yunnan.And many people here want to hurt and kill people from the West". This made me uneasy. And then he asked me "please-what do you think of Chinese communism?"
Ah fer God's sake, I wasn't gonna get drawn into one of these connversations. "Well" I replied, " I don't know much about these kinds of things" Emboldened though, I ventured to turn the question around. "What do you think of it?" to which I was met with a very candid and emphatic "I hate it".

After a minute or two of all this I bade a polite goodbye as did he with the repeated warning "and please...be careful". Maybe it was paranoia but his "be careful" seemed to carry with it a degree of menace an implied threat. "Be careful or else."

If he was just a pathological scaremonger out to give me a fright well then he was unquestionably sucessful as I made my way back to my hostel with the haste of a streaker walking through a field of nettles. I can still see myself power-walking for 20 mins along the main boulevard.

Anyway - so the tip is....I really don't know.
Just take what the above infers, I suppose.

The old road from Kunming to Beijing

by hooiluangoh

Built in the Yuan dynastry (1300's to 1400's), I was thrilled to see it. The horses trotted on the stone slabs all the way, over many hills and mountains before they get to Beijing. Apparently in the Qing Dynasty, the copper needed to make the coins came from Yunnan. So imagine it being transported on this road all the way to the capital.

This was in the compound of a resort. Kunmingnites love to spend their weekends here. The compound includes a small hill, plenty of fruit trees (yang mei especially), so people can do a little walking and fruit picking (when in season).

The facilities include a swimming pool, pingpong tables, basketball courts etc, two restaurants, and a cafe for the lovers of card games.

Kunmingnites love to play cards. A pot of tea, titbits and cards. That's all they need for the whole afternoon.

This place is about 45 min away from the city. You go through a tunnel and everything changes to the country scenery. This is amazing.

It's called Ming2 Xi1 Yuan1 holiday resort.

city buses

by picek

City buses in Kunming are cheapest way to get around, cost 1 yuan per ride. However, you will have to know where each number goes. Going to Shilin by mini bus/van- be careful with these greedy touts and pay only one way as they might leave you behind after your sightseeing in Shilin... you will come back to parking lot in front of the park and you will see your driver was gone. Negotiate the price in advance, because they will of course try to set the price much higher.

How Gui Zhou people make their Lotus root soup

by hooiluangoh about Qian(2) Yuan(2)

Yunnan is right next to Guizhou. Both love hot and spicy foods (but you can tell the waitress if you don't, she will get it cooked according to your likings).

The word "Qian" stands for Guizhou. Just like "Dian" stands for Yunnan. So from the name of the restaurant you can tell it features Guizhou cuisine.

The restaurant is a typical local eatery, with good hygiene condition.

The crowds start to gather very early. Get there before 6pm, or perhaps after 8pm, otherwise you will have to queue for your seats. I have never seen lotus root soup prepared this way; with mung beans stuffed into the hollows of the roots. The soup has been double-boiled with ribs.

The result: absolutely declicious, and definitely nutritional.

Get a crowd of 4 people, and expect to pay about RMB40.

Give it a try !