Ssaw Hotel (Plaza)

West Lake - XiHuWest Lake - XiHu

Hostel at HangZhou

by elley83

Hi,
I'm planning to go to Hangzhou next month, October. I'm looking a nice clean and cheap hotel / hostel near the West Lake. I've read in the forums about Hangzhou Int' Youth Hostel, but it doesnt have private room. I've searched and find Hangzhou - Jiangnanyi, at No. 32, Xiamanjuelong Road, Hangzhou Xihu District, Zhejiang Province, 310008. Is it far from the West lake? Or maybe you could recommend me some other place to stay. Thanks.

RE: Hostel at HangZhou

by tremendopunto

Try the Mingtown Garden YH right at the West Shore of the West Lake, near the Yang Gong Dam. I havent stayed there myself, but they cooperate with Captains YH in Shanghai and a guy who stayed there recommended that place to me.

No. 4 Zhaogong, Causeway Yanggong or something like that
Tel.: 571-87975883

I hope this is correct, cant read my own handwriting :-)

Happy travels,
Chris

by elley83

Thanks. I'm also planning to go to Suzhou afterwards. I read that it's possible to go there by boat. Do u know any thing about it?

by honestjohn

the Jiangnanyi YH is about 15min to the westlake by walking. the location and surrounding environment is very good.

by tremendopunto

Yes, thats a good idea - I did that, too.

Thats what I wrote in my transportation tip:
The boat leaves in the late afternoon from Hangzhou and arrives in Suzhou in the early morning.You can choose between luxury double rooms with the best view on top and 4 to 6 and even more bed cabins below deck. As far as I remeber I paid 60 kuai in a four bed cabin under deck,which means you have two portholes or windows just above the water level.Well,beds were a little bit short for my size-but that happens in sleeper trains, too.My friend Omed is more lucky with these things.Even though the Emperors Channel is not really cristal clear but more of a real sewer with kind of thrash passing by sometimes,it started as a slow relaxing trip.Houses pass by and we enjoyed a nice sunset before going to bed.I still have in mind thinking that the captain would really need the eyes of an hawk,because some ships which came to meet us had no light at night.And yes, in the middle of the night we heard a loud crash and an ongoing roaring sound. We were standing in our beds watching a black shipside scratching past our windows.We prepared to run on top deck to jump into the water to save our life (yeah,too much Titanic movies...)when the two Chinese people in our room were cool as ice,telling us to relax,it is nothing serious. Even if something would happen,the Channel is not deep enough to drown a whole ship......they turned around an fell asleep again as if nothing has happened.Ok, I needed some more time to fall asleep again. But I got acclimatized well enough, so that the hitting of some trees floating on the channel later did not really make me nervous anymore.Finally we reached Suzhou in the very early morning without enough sleep somewhere in an industrial park.That was not really the Chinese version of Venice first,but we were fetched up by a bus(included in the ferry price)to take us downtown to the older part of Suzhou.All in all it became a little bit more adventurous than we had expected,but in the retroperspective it was a great experience!!!!

Travel Tips for Hangzhou

Just Wave

by chmonica

Taxi in hangzhou is very cool. All you have to do is wave your hand. During rush hour, it will take a little time to get one. Also, around train stations and airports, they have to come and go in an organized fashion so you might have to stand in line. Sometimes drivers won't stop next to a train station because they can get ticketed by the traffic cop because it is considered an illegal stop, so don't get mad if that happens. Fare is not that much. A 20 mins ride cost about 4 dollar. Finally, all legally operated taxi have meters. Please don't get on a taxi without a meter!

Lingyin Temple

by sunnywong

The Lingyin Temple (Temple of Soul's Retreat) was built in the year of 326. The Lingyin Temple is the most influential temple in South China, and is regarded as one of the 10 famous Buddhist temples in China. In its peak periods, tens of thousands of pilgrims came here every day. The gilded Sakyamuni statue in the Shrine of Sakyamuni Buddha is 24.8 meters high, and is the biggest wooden sitting Buddha in China.

Comments