Wuyang Holiday Hotel Hangzhou

JonJon

handmade teahandmade tea

The Hall of Hu Qingyu TangThe Hall of Hu Qingyu Tang

Travel Tips for Hangzhou

Laughing Buddha at Lingyin Si.

by Guantanamera

Along the way to the Lingyin Si temple complex, you will pass many stone sculptures carved right into the rocky side of the nearby hills such as the jubilant Buddha that you see in the photo here... There are dozens of these types of sculptures, and a series of elaborate pathways connects them together...

Lingyin Temple

by Bluereptile

AKA "Temple of Inspired Seclusion" or "Temple of Soul's Retreat". There is a customary belief here that if you rub the belly of this Buddha, he'll fortell your future and all your wishes come true.

There is a series of rock carvings on the way towards this Temple. It's known as the "The Peak That Flew Afar"

He Fang Jie: Assorted Street Scenes

by hangzhoulover

"Interesting Neighborhood/Shopping District"

He Fang Jie was one of my favorite places to stroll around in Hangzhou (besides Xi Hu of course)! My classmates from Five Branches Institute of Traditional Chinese Medicine (in California, USA) and I first went here with our teacher to visit the Huqingyutang Chinese Medicine Museum.

Check out my tip on the museum for more info and catch some strange herb pics in my travelogue

"Guiness, at last!"

After visiting the herb museum, we had some free time to roam the Qinghefang neighborhood. Yey! It was only our second day in Hangzhou, and I was still unaccustomed to the vicious summer heat. My feet were tired and I was dripping with sweat, so I could not have been more happy to find this Irish bar (!!!) of all places right by He fang jie.

It was midday, so I was the only one sitting at the bar downstairs, where a nice Chinese bartender poured me a small glass of Guiness. I was being stingy with my money and thought that 25 RMB was a lot to pay for a beer. However, to my dismay, I found that this price is typical of the more fancy bars and night clubs here. If anyone knows of some good CHEAP nightspots in Hangzhou, please let me know. I had one favorite local dive bar on QingChun Lu, but it got bought out by a Japanese guy who turned it into a more expensive karaoke joint, complete with lots of "hostess girls" milling around. Creeps me out.

But, to get back to the story, after several days of drinking watery Chinese beer with a spicy alcoholic aftertaste, and a day of walking on tired legs and melting in the sun, this half pint o' Guiness was probably the tastiest beer I've ever had. Dark and creamy and cool. Oh yeah, so you know, a cold beer can be quite hard to find in Hangzhou. Even when you ask for an ice cold beer, you often end up with a pretty much room-temp one.

The bar was cool as well, and spacious. Other foreigners came in and headed upstairs, where I think there is food served as well. It seemed much busier up there, but my legs were too sore to explore.

On my way out, I noticed many English posters advertising live music and other events at the bar. I got the impression that this was a fun place to go if you're an English-speaking foreigner that wants to feel "at home" for a few hours. My roommate confirmed that when she reported back to me about her night out there. Very busy and packed with foreigners.
See my %L[http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/87a44/f83a9/5/ ]nightlife tips for location info!

Comments