Ex Palm d'or Hotel

See Amenities

Wenzhou's Ultimate High Class Accommodation

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 17, 2010

I first visited Wenzhou, China in 2009. This was a trip which I expected to be easy as I had frequented China many times since 2000 and so I didn't make any hotel reservations. On arrival at Wenzhou airport I discovered that I had lost my wallet, and so my spiral began. I had 7RMB which allowed me to catch a bus into the CBD. On arrival into the CBD I found the Wenzhou Dynasty Hotel at the footsteps of the bus terminal. As it was close and "Large" I thought they would be in a position to help me in my predigament until a replacement Credit Card had arrived.

Upon arrival at the hotel I presented my situation and after 5 hours of begging and praising I was afforded a room in this, what seemed to look like a well appointed hotel. (the lobby was eliquent and amazing)

When I made it into my room I was gob smacked and disgusted. However I couldn't say anything as I was already in a situation which the hotel was being simpathetic towards. For this reason I decided to do some searching for a hotel which would exceed the standards of the Dynasty, which I would say were below that of some of the cheaper hotels I had stayed in over the years in smaller cities.

I finally found The EXPALM D' or Hotel which was only 150m north of the Dynasty Hotel on the same street. After scoping out the place I made the decision to move and once my emergency card arrived I paid for the hotel and moved to the Expalm.

Since that day I have never looked back. I have since returned to Wenzhou many times and stayed at the Expalm. Every time I return the place seems to get better. The rooms are smaller than normal however the price certainly accommodates this. Further for most hotels of this standard, I would expect to pay between USD $150 to $250 for a standard room elsewhere. Instead I pay only $75 with breakfast included. The rooms are styled ergonomically with european influences. 32 in LCD, DVD free high speed interent, mini bar and a bathroom which speaks luxury in every way from the custom designer bathgels and shampoo to the shower and western toilet, you truely feel like your not in Wenzhou.

The staff are exceptional and always willing to help. There are a large number who speak english from passable to exceptional. The duties managers do all they can to meet your every demand and the General Manager makes a point out of meeting as many guests at he can and make them feel welcome. At the EXPALM every guest is made to feel like they are the only guest even when they are fully booked.

The lounge is known as the "Theatre" and is an open plan area, designed with Italian styling. Here you can relax, talk with your friends, enjoy virtually any beverage you can think of (they will even tailor make drinks as per your instruction) whilst listening to the sounds of the classical pianist who plays evey night during dinner service.

The "Veranda" is the restuarant located on the second floor, and is the extension from the "Theatre". The food always ever changing and meeting every demand. The head chef has studied overseas and is well versed with western cooking. Further he always strives to improve the food standards and quality. Another great feature is that the Head Chef is always willing to hear what your thoughts are about the food and doesnt mind constructive critism to ensure his food is consistant and getting better according to western standards and tastes. Also the buffet is cheap. Only 258RMB for all you can eat food and beverage. BTW breakfast is just devine and is included in your room price.

Lastly they have a business centre, meeting rooms and a high class jazz bar on the fist floor which is lavish and oozing with high class from every corner of the club.
They are currently in the process of constructing a gym in the hotel which will compliment the experience of your stay beyond your expectation.

There are so many great points about the Expalm D'or Hotel which I would love to share, but there are just so many, every little detail is maticulasly thought of to the point were your rooms are turned down every night, cleaned every day and make you feel like you belong.

Hope you can enjoy this place as much as I did.

Nearby Ex Palm d'or Hotel

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Airport Transportation

Wenzhou Travel Forum

Need advice about Wenzhou, China? Visit the Travel Forum for Wenzhou and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Wenzhou hotel reviews