Rua dos Martires da Patria, P.O. Box 470, Dili, East Timor

Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

• Most Expensive 2 Star Hotel in the World!!!

My girlfriend and I initially planned to stay at The Esplande Hotel in Dili however when we booked our flights our agent highly recommended the Hotel Timur over Esplanade. Clearly the agent was receiving a better commission from Hotel Timur based on our disastrous experience at Hotel Timur (and our much more pleasant experience staying at Esplanade after we had had enough of Hotel Timur).

We pre-paid for 3 nights at USD135/night which included airport transfers and breakfast. Internet was a whopping $50 for 10 hours of use.

We arrived at the Dili airport and there was no car to pick us up so we took a taxi to the hotel. When we checked in I asked what happened to the pickup and the staff, who were barely going through the motions in serving us and clearly had minimal training and spoke halting English said ‘the pick up driver was busy.’

I found this rather incredulous and asked to speak to the manager. A European woman who I assume was the manager came to the desk and apologized and only after a fair bit of complaining did she agree to refund the $10 taxi fare I paid to get to the hotel.

We checked into our room which was run down and spartan, I would consider this to be 2 star quality. If it were not for the fact we had pre-paid over $400 I would have left immediately.

The inclusive breakfast was absolutely horrible. Various dishes of slop, weak coffee highlighted by sporadic service.

After breakfast I went back to the room to use my $50 internet card and of course it didn’t work. So I called the front desk to ask for assistance and the fellow on duty told me he was no responsible for this then said ‘I am busy’ and hung up the phone.

Needless to say I was not pleased and made my way to the lobby to complain asking again for the manager. I was told she was in a meeting and I was about to go back to the room when lo and behold the manager was walking past. So I cornered her and explained the internet did not function and that her staff was very rude. Her response was ‘that’s Timor what can you expect’ I of course told her that for $135 a night I expect a lot more than to have someone hang up the phone on me. I further told her that if this is the best she can do with service then she should cut her price in half to reflect this. No comment from her.

She arranged to move me to another room that had better site lines to the internet router. So we hauled all our stuff to the new room (nobody available to assist) and of course the internet didn’t work. So again I had to bother the manager who assisted with connecting me with a cable.

So we order lunch. 30 minutes later it still has not arrived so we call again and they say it will be there soon. 10 minutes later their staff arrive not with lunch but with a menu… flabbergasted we instead went outside to eat.

The final straw was the second morning when again there was an issue with the internet. I called down to ask for assistance and this time the manager was on duty and she said ‘Paul I’m all by myself here can you give me a hand and go down and get the guy to come up the room and assist?’ I was completely incredulous at this point and let her know that I had had enough. If you are going to charge 5 star rates you need to offer some service. I told her I had had enough and was checking out.

As we checked out I demanded a refund of $135 for the unused night. The manager refused.

We moved to The Esplanade which was excellent value by comparison at $110 per night. Superb staff, quite decent rooms with a nice pool, lots of character and an awesome seaside restaurant. Simply no comparison and we were so regretful that we did not choose Esplanade from the start. Amusingly we ran into a fellow from India who had shifted from Hotel Timor to Esplanade as well and shared our horror stories over a beer.

Considering the room rate, I would equivocally state that the Hotel Timor is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in terms of room quality and particularly service. Do not make the same mistake as we did and stay anywhere else in Dili as Hotel Timur is a massive rip-off.

Comments