Dili Hotels

• DSwede profile photo DSwede
  • Reviews: 1740

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Back Packers: Cheap, but still don't recommend it

The rooms are rather crowded. The bunk rooms have up to 9 beds in them, and only two electrical outlets to share.

The beds are foam matrices set on metal frames. I could feel the metal frame on my hip and shoulder easily.

The bathrooms are shared and in need of a good cleaning. You will need to bring your own towels and toiletries.

The price is $12/night and breakfast is not even included.

This guesthouse used to the be cheapest and best in town. However under new management, it may have slipped a bit. I would not recommend this place to anyone unless saving a couple dollars is of paramount importance.

Honestly, I can't think of a "unique" quality.

Best part of Backpackers is that they offer the cheapest laundry rates in town. $2 per load. Extra cost for drying.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written March 9, 2010

• DSwede profile photo DSwede
  • Reviews: 1740

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Venture Hotel: Best Value and Quality in town

After having a not so pleasant experience at Backpackers with both the room and management, I searched the town for a better place. All roads and advice I found led me to Venture Hotel. I moved there and had a pleasant stay for the remainder of my time.

The staff is polite and helpful. The rooms and facilities are kept clean and tidy.

The single rooms share a community bathroom and shower. These are also very clean and sanitary. They are segregated men's and women's.

The deluxe rooms have their own ensuite (toilet and shower), sink and small refrigerator.

Single room is $23/night
Deluxe is $33/night

Due to popularity with expats on assignment in Dili, I recommend making a reservation to guarantee availability.

All rooms have A/C.
All rooms have a large wardrobe with a latch that you can put a padlock on.
The hotel provides towels and WiFi.
There is a small yet convenient pool that lets you cool off at the end of a long hot day.
There is a small gym facility with work out equipment.
Breakfast is included.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written March 9, 2010

• jrblair profile photo jrblair
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Venture Hotel: Light Fingered Staff

I stayed here in February 2010. And whilst the place was pleasant enough, I had $US200 and $AUS150 stolen from room. I know, my own fault for leaving it there! But, the worst thing was that I only discovered it 1 hour before I left the hotel and East Timor. I reported it to staff at the front desk but they professed to not understand me and I was unable to file a Police Report or really take the matter any further. I called the manager numerous time and have emailed many times, but no one has ever got back to me. Stay here at your own risk! And never, ever be dumb like me and leave money or valuables in your room!

Light fingered staff.