No.39 Morrison Hill Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong, Hong Kong Region, China

Hongkong IslandHongkong Island

Hong Kong DisneylandHong Kong Disneyland

19 hrs layover at HK airport

by pchan88ca

I will be arriving at HK airport at around 6pm (evening) and will only be flying out the next day at around 2 pm (noon).
I need advice of how to kill my time at HK international airport with around 19 hrs layover.

by nattybabe

Why don't you go into HK? There's more than enough time to see some sights and get some sleep. Unless you have a visa issue?

by picek

Go to Kowloon, book a room for night, wait for Symphony of Light at waterfront, sit down at nice place for nice dinner, walk a little around Nathan road. Then next day in the morning a star ferry ride to HK Island, have nice breakfast and/or lunch and you can leave around 11.30 back for the airport by airport bus back at Kowloon or train (I prefer airport bus because you have nicer views). You can leave your luggage at your hotel while you're sightseeing, for most chech out time is between 11 - 12 am.

by lifecoach

The Regal hotel is attached to the airport via a walkway, that way you can get a good sleep and with ease head back to airport before your flight. They also offer a free shuttle ride for two downtown for some sightseeing.

by corysharon

There is a pay buy use lounge in the airport. big comfy chairs etc.I think it also has shower you can use..there is free wifi so bring your laptop..

by al2401

The airport is on Lantau Island - Take the Ngong Ping cable car up to the Po Lin momastery and visit the Big Buddha also on Lantau Island. You could do this in the morning and be back in time to catch your flight at 2pm

by anonymousmoose

Do some shopping. Book yourself into the 5-star Langham Place hotel (super hotel for a good price) for the night. then go and do shopping in the area. There are cheaper hotels then the langham but for the price vs. luxury, this one is the best I've been to.

by al2401

With that length of layover a hotel room should be supplied - unless there is a change of carrier. The OP doesn't have to stay in the airport the whole time.

by picek

<<this person is asking for things to do in an airport we should give the answer he or she want's <<<<<

well, she or he didn't come back either to tell if she fancy an idea of going to town, so its not bad if she gets advices what she can do with so much time on her shoulder since its not that far. and she didn't complain when we told her to go to city or around (if she did at least we knew she read repsonses :)

by corysharon

I agree ..there is no way I would stay in an airport for 19 hours .with a city like hong kong 30 min. away. but each to there own.

Travel Tips for Hong Kong

Bamboo scaffolding

by william_navigator

One of the interesting things I noticed was that in some places in HK they used bamboo scaffolding. And I'm not talking about just a few floors but a long ways up. You have these modern buildings going up with brick, steel and concrete and there is this bamboo scaffolding. It made me slightly nervous walking underneath but they know better than I do on what works. They don't even use nails!

Get out of the city! We took...

by tanguera

Get out of the city! We took a ferry to Lan Tau, one of the Outlaying Islands. This island is home to the the Tian Tan Buddha, the world's largest seated outdoor Buddha, and the Po Lin Monastery. There are wooded hills with hiking trails and a youth hostel
and small farms. It was a welcome change from the crowds of the city. Besides visiting with family I only see once a year, my fondest memory was wandering into a small, local market on Graham Street in, I think, the Hollywood Road district. My grandmother, a great aunt and her daughter who were also visiting were shopping for porcelain in a shop and I walked down the street and around the corner and found myself in the center of a market. There were four inch deep trays of styrofoam and metal, filled with water and live fish. There were mountains of vegetables and crowds of people, all speaking Cantonese. I had the sensation of loosing myself in Hong Kong. A few people had little stall for mending cloths or shoes. I went into a little shop that sold all sorts of odds and ends, bags of cloth, broken watches, every kind of coin including US ones. I bought a little metal box as a gift for a friend, thinking she would appreciate something real.

My other best memory is bargaining in Wan Chai market. The vendors had a calculators on which they would type their price, then offer it to me for my couner offer. I helped my brother bargain for an interesting antique lock and bought a brass Buddha for myself, which continues to be my favorite souvenir from Hong Kong.

hugh restaurants on places u...

by jacq4u2

hugh restaurants on places u never would think to be there , special food , special streets , Women street , Temple street , thats night -wandering in HKG , and opposite HKG , the silent island of Lama , u would never believe that it's so close to HKG

The Dosh

by dejavu2gb

For those who are not aware, the currency of Hong Kong is the Hong Kong Dollar. The denominations of the notes are
HK$10, 20, 50, 100, and 500.
This is just a basic tip for those planning to visit HK is that when you encounter various different types of money, its okay!!
As Hong Kong has a varied number of banks, they all print their own money, and it looks very different, so dont think you are being given dodgy money, it will be okay.
One of the £10 notes is my favourite as its very colourful, I have kept a few as souvenirs.

shop! Turn one corner, you...

by Kallista

shop! Turn one corner, you will find a clutter of signboards clamouring for your attention … inviting you into treasure troves of knick-knacks and bric-a-brac, turn another corner, you will be dazzled by the beautifully window displays of the shopping centres. H.K. is just about the best place in the world for cheap bargains and luxurious goods alike … with plenty in between as well. However, the crowning glory of the H.K. shopping bonanza, is Hong Kong Summer Sale … held in July & August. I knew that I arrived in H.K. way to early for the Summer super sale, but I managed to catch many small sales … incredible buys … in April.

Comments