Cosmo Hotel

Cosmo Hotel Hong Kong
Priceline.com Travelocity Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Decent four star hotel in Happey Valley area of HK

Stayed here when prices were out of season, but at around €55 per night, is a good price given that the hotel is only a 10 minute walk from Wan Chai or Causeway Bay. Models itself as a 'Boutique Hotel', is only a couple of years old and certainly stands out compared to the bland Cosmpolitan Hotel next door. Rooms are reasonably large, although the view from the hotel is either of office blocks or a graveyard. Each room is kitted out with flatscreen TV - a nice touch as the World Cup had started when I stayed here - and the aircon gets the room down to fridge temperature if you need.

Directions: Wanchai, Causeway Bay, Happy Valley

More about Cosmo Hotel

Terrible hotel experience for Hong Kong standard

by TripAdvisor Member joe_breezy

The cosmo hotel has terrible reception staff, service and lack attention to detail in guest rooms and public areas.

1. Asked on 3 occasions during the last 2 of my 4 night stay, twice with the same female reception staff about extending my stay but in their sister hotel, the cosmopolitan next door (I had little choice given that there was a major convention on in HK and hotel availability were scarce).

Not a single response each time I chased them up! I even left them my mobile number just in case and all they did with it was to produce it on a ripped corner piece of paper upon my check and quoted “sorry, forget to phone, where are you staying?” I’M ALREADY CHECKING OUT!

2. on check out, we complained that there was a leak in the bathroom from the room above and that the black sludge had stained a piece of our clothing. The reception staff response? “Thank you for your information”. We were speechless.

3. During a busy period in reception, I was queuing up to simply leave my mobile number so they can contact me about a possible extension to my stay. Seeing that there was a long queue, the duty manager came over and asked if he could be any assistance. I told him all I needed was to leave my mobile number – he simply said ‘OK’ and WALKED away and leave me to queue for a further 10 minutes. No wonder the staff are terrible, the manager is setting the standard!

Let’s get the definition of ‘boutique’ hotel' correct - to which the Cosmo hotel in Hong Kong is definitely not:

- The decor is trying to be contemporary by using vivid colours in both guest rooms as well as the (small) lobby. On both counts it does not work and is definitely not what you would see in wallpaper magazine.

- The bar, claiming to be the most chic place in town, was empty most nights, had a terrible live band belting out inaudible cover versions, and it doubles as the breakfast room. The breakfast looked far from appetising and is the only thing the cosmo managed to claim as boutique hotel, i.e. “minimalist”

- The location is on a very busy main road and requires you to go through an underpass, then cross 3 major roads before reaching Times Square where you can get into the transport network.

- If you do decide to chance a stay, do not pay the extra for an executive room, it’s the same small size as the superior room – with the sliding door to the toilet/bathroom 2 feet from the bottom of your bed. Not worth it.

- The 6th floor terrace café/business centre is awful – it’s simply a small outdoor terrace with a few cheap bamboo chairs and air conditioning units as company.

Overall my colleague and I had a terrible experience and stay. For a £100 a night, please please go and stay elsewhere, there are plenty of good hotels in HK for that kind of money.

So traumatised, we ended up staying in the Grand Hyatt for 4 nights (an amazing hotel), had to pay extra but was well worth the therapy required to overcome the Cosmo experience.

Very cool place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member sammysaurasrex

The cosmo was a lovely place to stay,
Very modern unique rooms, staff were friendly and rooms were immaculatly clean. Odd window between the bathroom and bed area so you need to trust who you are staying with not to peek! (curtains on the outside??!!) Good location right by the trams which go through wan chai and central. It is worth paying slightly more for the rain shower, shower head :-) would definatly stay again

Horrible stay and overcharges...

by TripAdvisor Member justchln

This is the email I sent the management to which I still haven't received any resolution....

Hello there,

I just checked my online statement and I was charged 254.26. According to this confirmation below, the charge is supposed to be 235.04. The only difference is the 100HKD internet charge which should only add another $12.84 USD to my charge. Making it the actual charge to be only $247.88.. However, if I calculated the charge from my bill which is 1924.94 HKD, the US conversion is 246.47. I get the actual exchange rate of 7.81 from my credit card company. So there's still a discrepancy.

Why is there a difference ?

I'd like to also let you know that my stay at the Cosmo was quite unpleasant.

Upon checking in the first day March 11/07, when I entered the room 2202, there was a very unpleasant odor coming from the air conditioner. I immediately summoned the bell hop that was in the hallway and he came in , took a whiff and agreed with me. He called down to the front desk and notified them of the odor. Cleaning staff came in and sprayed something into the room and the odor disappeared. I stepped out and when I came back later that evening, the odor was still there. It was late so I didn't want to be bothered moving. Big mistake on my part., I couldn't catch a decent sleep.

The next morning March 12 07, as I was stepping out for the day, I told the cleaning staff that the odor was still there, they told me they'd spray and leave a can of spray in my room.

I got back later that evening and the smell was still there. I called downstairs and requested a new room. The young lady told me someone would be up. After about 15 minutes later, I was taken to room 2702. The room was much better smelling. There was NO odor.

That evening March 12/07, before going to sleep, I figured I'd order some breakfast. I dialed 0 and was transferred over and I asked the gentleman if he could take my order for breakfast. I tried to communicate first in English then I spoke Cantonese. The gentleman finally told me that I should place my breakfast order via handtag menu . I told him that there wasn't one available. He told me to call for housekeeping and they'd bring one right up. I called housekeeping and they told me that there's no tag and that I need to call the kitchen. I called back the kitchen and asked him to call housekeeping cause I was getting conflicting stories. Finally, someone came up and went to the handbook and pointed out the menu to me. I told her that I know about that menu but rather I was looking for the hand tag menu. She told me that they don't have the hand tag menu in this hotel. Needless to say, I'm very frustrated by now. I asked her to please call the kitchen for me. She argued with the kitchen telling them that this hotel doesn't have hand tag menus etc etc.. Finally they reluctantly took my order.

The next morning March 13 07, I wake up took a shower and was waiting for my breakfast. 6:30 am arrives and no breakfast. 6:35 no breakfast. 6:45 arrives and I hear a knock on the door. Breakfast is FINALLY here. The guy comes and drops off the breakfast. I sign for it. I'm humming right along eating breakfast, I have a 7:30 am bus to catch and packing to do so I try to make the breakfast enjoyment time short. I had ordered a congee with preserved eggs and pork. I started to churn up congee looking for preserved eggs. I churned a couple of times and was getting wary cause I didn't see any preserved eggs. Then on the third churn, I saw a black spec coming up.. I thought to myself.. "Hey a lonely piece or preserved egg!!! Better than nothing" Then as the black spec came up to the top. I realized that preserved egg doesn't have legs and a body.... IT WAS A BUG!!!!!!

I was so DISGUSTED!!! I called down the front desk and told them about the bug in my congee. The gentleman offered me another congee but I didn't have time to eat now cause of the bus schedule and the packing I had to do. They offered me a replacement breakfast downstairs which again I couldn't enjoy cause of my schedule. I politely declined and the gentlemen told me no charge. About 5 minutes later, someone knocks on my door and comes in to inquire about the bug. I proudly displayed to bug to him and he whisked away the whole tray.

I hustled to finish my packing and I arrived downstairs with enough time to catch a cup of coffee and some eggs. This is NOT how I envisioned my stay to turn out. I come out to Hong Kong/ China once a year. Being so far from my family, I would like to at least have a pleasant stay to make my trip more bearable.

So after this horrible experience and to see a charge on my credit card not equaling the charge on my confirmation. I am NOT A happy customer.

PS. I've attached a copy of the photo I took of the bug for your reference.

Not bad at all for the price

by TripAdvisor Member T1ggy

Stayed here with my wife in November for three nights. The deal through Expedia was just under £60GBP a night. Early flight so got to hotel at about 9am, they let us check in early and the room was ready! Good so far. Found the hotel to be small but clean. Room was very small, and this was an "executive room"! However it was perfectly functional, on a high floor and the view was good.
Finished off in the bar every evening for a couple of beers. Not exactly the most viberant place I've been to (typically there were around ten people at any one time) but bar staff were attentive and there was live music ever night.
Have to admit, it is a bit of a trek to get to the interesting stuff and the trains so be prepared to walk or get a taxi. Found some nice places to eat on my travels though - there is a sushi bar about 2-3 minutes walk away where you can stuff yourself silly for next to no money.
One word of warning - don't bother with the restaurant in the next door Cosmopolitian Hotel. The food was nasty and expensive. Go for a wander and find somewhere else.
Overall, no complaints about the hotel. Wasn't expecting 5* for £60 but the staff were fine, hotel clean, and the beer in the bar was cold. Go for it if you're only staying a few nights and don't mind walking.

Swinging Cats

by TripAdvisor Member Rooster_Evans

I was pretty disappointed with this hotel! I'm not sure whether that was down to the fact that I had spent the previous 3 nights at the MO Excelisor before spending 2 nights here or whether it just was a pretty bad hotel.
The receptionist was miserable, the lift then took ages to come and after all that I couldn't find the room number on the door (it is actually located on the floor but I wasn't looking there!).
You couldn't swing a very skinny, anorexic cat in the room and my window view was of a brick wall, just stunning.
On a positive note...the location was quite good, a short stroll from Times Square and there is a free airport transport leaving from the Cosmopolitan hotel next door.
I think if you are coming to Hong Kong for just a few nights, I would rather pay a bit more and have a hotel down in Causeway Bay with a view of the skyline as this is what is so unique about the city and it seems a shame for about £15 less, I had a lovely view of a brick wall

Avoid this place!

by TripAdvisor Member summit3000

The whole place is so pretentious it can almost make you nautious. They try to keep an image of a "trendy," "stylish," "posh" place to stay. Do not buy into that. All that pretense doesn't go any farther than the lobby.

To get a room with a "great city view," you have to pay extra. If you don't, guess what you get? A room with the same view but with its windows sealed with a matte film (mine was torn a bit on one side and that's how I could see the view behind it). So, essentially,
they are saying "unless you pony up some cash, we will make sure you don't see anything nice out of your window!" This has to be one of the most idiotic hotel business strategies ever.

Rooms are small in size and average in quality. Only 2 elevators for almost 30 floors, sometimes the wait is long. Good luck finding room numbers on the doors. I found mine after 2 days - it is on the floor aside your room door. Must be part of the idiotic "chic" interior design.

Don't bother paying for their internet. There are plenty of wi-fi networks available in the rooms. Most are secured but some will always be open. And if you choose to pay to get connected through the Ethernet (LAN) line, you will be disappointed with how slow it is... without a doubt the slowest wired hotel connection I've ever experienced.

The restaurant is at the sister hotel, Cosmopolitan, 1 minute down the street. Poor quality food, poor service, and completely unacceptable for the price (one lunch cost me around US$50). B

Room service is average. One time I had to wait for 40 minutes before calling back to find out that my order wasn't brought because they had made it wrong and had to remake it. No apologies or anything.

Rooms service food orders are small. A glass of juice is no more than 100 ml. Chicken sausage was very greasy (must be some cheap kind). If you ask for something special, like "2 packs of honey with my tea, please," seems like you'll get it only about 50% of the time.

The most ridiculous thing is their "Nooch bar" that they dare to describe as a "chic and hip place where the cosmopolitan crowd revitalizes after work." I laughed out loud when I saw that myself. The entire bar is tiny, and can fit perhaps 30 guests. You'll be lucky to see more than 10 at any one time. Just 3 kinds of beer on draft, and guess what, only sold by pints. And if you are 2 people and would like to share that pint, no, you each have to get one. Ridiculous beyond belief.

Upon checkout, they tried to charge me for calls to room service (I ordered food) at a local call rate (HK$8.00/minute).

Overall... AVOID!

Super warm service

by TripAdvisor Member joeyko

While I stopped over Hong Kong on entering China, I
stayed there for 2 nights.

A great appraise to the concierge staff for their
professionalism and enthusiasm - they provided me, a
first-timer to China,very useful information.

The room I stayed was spotlessly clean. Techie will
like it as it was equipped with computer. The hotel
also lent me an i pod hi-fi.

Staff on the whole were friendly and attentive.
Traveller who want to save some money but receive
5-star service can consider Cosmo.

Sharon H

by TripAdvisor Member Sharon_HCanada

There're not many boutique hotels in Hong Kong (perhaps still a new trend), Cosmo, being one of the few, is definitely the one worths applaud.

The hotel rooms come in differnet color and I chose a bright orange one, very trendy and gives a sense of energy (though the hotel could be even nicer if the room can be more spacious). The in-house bar is of great atmosphere, a perfect place to unwind.

What impressed me the most was the service by their
staff, from the gnetleman at the check-in counter,
the bellman to my housekeeper, they really spent time to talk to me and remember my preference. Excellent service! Will recommend to others who look for a "personalized" stay!

The Cosmo Hotel

by 43beckos

Has anybody stayed at this hotel, looking at the Maps it seems a bit far out, and we only have 2 days in HK so don't want to spend ages travellling in and out of the city.

Any advice / reviews gratefully recieved

RE: The Cosmo Hotel

by agirlfmhk

Hong Kong Island is a small place and Cosmo is only a little bit farther than the busy commercial & shopping area in Causeway Bay. It is fine for you to book this hotel (quite new inside) and won't take you long to visit other places in Hong Kong, like Stanley Market, Causeway Bay or Central. The travelling to these places from the hotel will take you only 15 to 20 mins., for Causeway Bay, it could be a walking distance of 30 mins. at a relaxed pace. Cosmo is opposite to Happy Valley (the race course) so it will be giving you another place to visit if you wish.

RE: RE: The Cosmo Hotel

by frodo88

it is only 10 minutes walk to times square in causewaybay; supermarkets, restaurants, mtr station. it is good location if u got good price. compare prices at wotif.com

RE: The Cosmo Hotel

by dizzykitty

I just booked this hotel today. It seems to have a very good rate and not too far, though you may have a room facing a cemetery!

I'm not going until january, would love to hear how it was!

Comments