Excelsior

The Excelsior, Hong Kong
Hotels.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Costs 86% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• MJL's Profile Photo

If you want to be with locals

I have been this hotel a couple of times and every time service has been outstanding. It is in the middle of Causeway Bay area and area is crowded during evenings and weekends. I really like swimming and an indoor pool would be nice.

Unique Quality: MTR, tram and buses all goes very near and also thre are some very large shopping centres nearby (e.e. Times Square).

Directions: Near Causeway MTR station

• HKJules's Profile Photo

Good Quality Hotel

We stayed here for 15 nights over New Year 2007/2008.
    The rooms are large by HK standards and house keeping were fantastic, replenshing bathroom and coffee etc. each morning and again at around 7.00pm with turn down service.
    The staff could not be faulted at all.
    The room was clean and had fresh fruit each day.
    I would recomend this hotel and also the buffet on the first floor "Cafe on the First"

Unique Quality: Outstanding service from staff

• ilovespain's Profile Photo

Very plesant stay...

Stayed here for 5 nights May 2005. Arrived early at 7am. My room on the Executive floor was not ready so they put me in another room for the time being. The breakfast was quite good with some dim-sum served. Later I checked into a harbour-view room on the 30th floor. It wasn't too big but it was clean. The Executive Lounge offers good choices of snacks, lunch and dinner h'ors doeuvres. "Unfortuately" the alcoholic beverages are not self-served, but I did manage to get my money's worth... The staff at the Executive lounge are more than helpful. I gave them high marks. This hotel is not very centrally located, it is in Causeway Bay, but it is a minute walk to the subway station. Staying somewhere else (on the Executive Floor) could cost a lot more, for the price that I paid, this place is good enough for moi :0)

• Openseas's Profile Photo

Best breakfast in the world !

We have been staying at this hotel over the last few years. Stopover before the long haul to Europe. This year our room 2306 was excellent overlooking Hong Kong Harbour, Marina and Kowloon. The harbour view rooms are a must as they are spacious with all the mod cons. Its magical watching the large cargo ships cruising up and down the harbour jostling for space between the ferries and junk boats.

Dinner: eat at "Top of the Town" on the 34th floor-modern cuisine with views after a few vino's its breathtaking. Otherwise eat at the Mandarin Hotel-its very chic and stylish with a fabulous view.(pricey but worth it)

Breakfast: Is the best, freshly squeezed juices, 4 chefs cooking American and Chinese food. Its always exciting to wake up knowing you have wonderful decisions to make...What will I have today!

Shopping: Nathan Street, Causeaway Bay-Times Square, forget Stanley Markets, Melbourne Plaza 2nd floor cheap perfumes, Macau Island.

Unique Quality: Breakfast !

• JBourne's Profile Photo

Great views of Tsim Sa Tsui

This is a 24 hour hotel. It's busy, constantly buzzing and a great place to stay. The airline crews use this hotel, and it is popular with business men too.

We found the rooms were a little dated but clean and had everything you would need. We were given champagne, roses and a fruit basket when we mentioned it was our honeymoon (we mentioned that an awful lot on our holiday - amazing the lengths people will go to, to ensure you have a good time).

The view was incredible, we overlooked Victoria Harbour with Tsim Sa Tsui on the opposite bank, and sat in our window seat for hours taking photos of the storm clouds and the fantastic city at night. The windows were old and single glazed which seemed odd on floor 25, but you couldn't open them and they seemed secure eneough so that was the main thing! The beds were comfy and rooms were quiet but I did think that rooms nearer ground level might suffer a bit from the noise of the main road. We slept, ate and drank very well here.

We went into the English bar (the Dickens Bar) for a couple of drinks and it was exactly what it said on the tin, an English bar. Nothing hugely exciting and a bit expensive but I suppose very useful for the homesick (although Hong Kong itself is still extremely British).

Oh, I didn't actually take any pictures of the hotel so sorry for that, but the view is worth looking at. Repeatedly!

Unique Quality: The best thing about this hotel is the view from the windows. Fabulous, and you can gaze out for hours. Just make sure you get a harbour view room!!

A close second is the restaurants and room service. Food and service was great in both cases (we ate in 3 of the restaurants), but with the room service, it's brought to you on a wheeled round table with white tablecloth. The dishes are covered with golden domes, and you are given gold(en) cutlery. Far superior to many hotels who provide a tray only. Top quality.

Directions: On the island waterfront (behind the very main road)

• wanderingbilly's Profile Photo

SERENITY IN THE BIG CITY

WE STAYED AT THE EXCELSIOR HOTEL FOR 4 NIGHTS. WHEN WE ARRIVED OUR ROOM WAS NOT READY BUT THIS WAS OUR FAULT AS WE HAD ASKED FOR AN UPGRADE, SO IN THE MEANTIME THE STAFF GAVE US FULL USE OF THE GYM WHERE WE COULD SHOWER AND CHANGE BEFORE TAKING A FIRST LOOK AROUND THE CITY WHILE THEY GOT OUR ROOM READY.
    WHEN WE DID GET OUR ROOM IT WAS WELL WORTH THE WAIT, AND THE MANAGER EVEN LEFT A BOTTLE OF WINE FOR OUR TROUBLE...IT WAS CLEAN AND TIDY BUT BEST OF ALL IT HAD WONDERFUL VIEWS OF THE CITY, AND A LOVELY SOFT BED TO FALL INTO AFTER SAPPING ALL YOUR ENERGY IN THIS FANTASTIC CITY. THE FOOD AT THE EXCELSIOR IS VERY GOOD AND BREAKFAST IS A REAL TREAT WITH LOADS TO CHOOSE FROM BEFORE YOU HIT THE STREETS. AND AFTER A HECTIC DAY SEEING THE SITES YOU CAN COME BACK TO THE HOTEL BAR "DICKENS" FOR A WELL EARNED DRINK IN WHAT IS A PLEASENT COMFORTABLE BAR. BEING IN THE HEART OF CAUSEWAY BAY WITH THE METRO STATION CLOSE AT HAND WE FOUND THE EXCELSIOR AN EXCELENT BASE FOR OUR STAY IN HONG KONG AND WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM BOOKING THIS HOTEL AGAIN..

Unique Quality: THE EXCELSIOR'S QUALITIES ARE WITHOUT QUESTION ITS WONDERFUL FRIENDLY STAFF WHO GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO MAKE YOUR STAY AS COMFORTABLE AS POSIBLE.
    THE ROOMS WHILE NOT BEING HUGE ARE CLEAN AND TIDY AND ALL WITH A FANTASTIC VIEW, BE IT OF THE CITY OR THE HARBOUR I DONT THINK YOU CAN GO WRONG. WE FOUND SITTING AT THE WINDOW LAST THING AT NIGHT LOOKING AT THE VIEWS WITH A GLASS OF SOMETHING SPECIAL A REAL AND RARE TREAT IN WHAT MUST BE ONE OF THE GREAT CITIES OF THE WORLD....GO SOON AND ENJOY.

Directions: TAKE THE MTR TO CAUSEWAY BAY STATION. AND FOLLOW SIGNS TO GLOUCESTER ROAD.

• June.b's Profile Photo

Just fine!

Part of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel group located in Causeway Bay area, I stayed for 2 nights here during my very first visit to HK. Wasn't the perfect hotel for me though, or maybe because the room I had was facing a concrete wall, but I know the harbourview in other rooms is fantastic, mine's no harbourview at all, furnishings are just fine and service is... I dunno.... I forgot.... or maybe it wasn't really remarkable as to be retained in my memory considering that it's a 4 star hotel.

The location is good though, beside a huge shopping mall.

More about Excelsior

Try Dickens Bar

by TripAdvisor Member Cacti

We stayed 4 nights here. We had great expectations as it is part of the Mandarin Oriental chain... we arrived to chaos! We got to the hotel at 20hrs to see some very stressed looking check in staff trying to resassure queues of customers with suitcases. It turns out that they had no rooms ready until 22:30hrs. We were given complimentary drinks vouchers, a high room and a late check out free of charge. We also received a bottle of wine as an apology (the next day!). The room was lovely (although it could do with an update), great views and comfy bed. Bathroom was adequate (although a ceiling tile collapsed on me in the bathroom one night!)... The best part about the hotel is the Dickens Bar downstairs - great atmosphere, cheap beer and friendly, local bar staff (a real gem in the hotel!).

No Complaints (well Ok one...)

Stayed for 6 nights on a business trip - judging from some of the reviews here I was slightly apprehensive. Shouldn't have been. For me hotels need 3 things - great location, comfortable beds, powerful showers. Big tick in all 3 columns. Sure, it's not plush, but the views from my harbour facing room were superb. And when I complained about a vast family in the room next door making a racket, I was re-roomed immediately. Not only that, they apologised for it on reception when I checked out 2 days later, and a letter from the management was waiting for me on return home, again aplogising and hoping I wasn't overly inconvenienced.

And yep the Dickens Bar is a boon for homesick Brits!

Busy hotel with great views

The hotel is very busy constantly, but is well located in a great shopping area.Rooms are ok but get the harbour view its worth it.Breakfast buffet is outstanding for choice.Lots of easy transport on the doorstep,dirt cheap taxis,trams and metro.Dickens bar is great,very English but cheap ?? No way !! Watch prices in electronic shops also - not always the bargains they potray.A mad place but enjoyed it thoroughly.

Hong Kong Hotels

by OneNightInBangkok

I am currently in the process of looking for a place to stay at around the Causeway Bay / Wan Chai or TST area. Are these hotels any good?

Rennaissance Harbour View
Excelsior Hong Kong
Luk Kwok
Wharney Guang Dong

Somebody also recommended the Kowloon Hotel and the Royal Garden in TST. To be honest I am not able to make up my mind because of too many choices. Here are my requirements though:

1. Reasonably priced, I can go as low as US$100 but not higher than US$200 inclusive of breakfast
2. Near MTR
3. Near Shopping Centers and Restaurants
4. Good-sized room

Any other recommendations would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

RE: Hong Kong Hotels

by Vita500

For 100 USD+ you will have loads and loads of choices.
From the hotels on your list, the choice is easy though: definitely go for the Renaissance Harbour View at Wanchai Harbour. Perfect location, great views possible and one of the best outdoor swimming pools in whole Hong Kong.

You might also check www.tripadvisor.com for more reviews and ideas as well as www.asiarooms.com for good rates. Check the respective hotel homepages first, however, as they do sometimes have special internet rates/packages on offer.

Cheers,
Robert

RE: RE: Hong Kong Hotels

by OneNightInBangkok

Thanks for your reply, Robert! What can you say about Renaissance Kowloon? Is it any good?

Comments