33 Sharp Street East, Hong Kong, China

Booking.com Travelocity HIExpress.com

Costs 64% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo

Good Value with Loyalty Points

After a 2 weeks trip around Asia, we were on our last leg in my belowed Hong Kong, so we found this nice hotel for our 2 night stay before we returned back to the UK.
    We are familiar with the Holiday Inn Express chain as they are very consistent, and the HK one is no different.
    The rooms are very clean, check in was very quick and staff were very friendly.
    You also get to accumulate Loyalty Points through the Priority Club program.

Unique Quality: Located on HK Island in Causeway Bay area, so very good location right next to Times Square.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Typical HI express

All the usual facilities of a Holiday Inn express and in a good location on Hong Kong Island. Breakfast included in the price.

Directions: Close to Causeway Bay MRT and Times Square

• Emile72's Profile Photo

Good deal

The hotel is strategically located in the heart of Causeway Bay next to Times Square and Mass Transit Railway (MTR) station.

The staff was friendly, the rooms were nice and clean. Breakfast was ok. We paid about 65Euros incl. breakfast which is a good deal for Hong Kong.

Location is convenient for Victoria Peak, Star Ferry, Shopping.

Unique Quality: From airport to Hotel :
    1. Take the Airport Express to Hong Kong Station (HK$90) and transfer to taxi (HK$55)
    2. Take the Parklane Airport Shuttle bus at counter A16 or B16 at the arrival hall directly to the hotel. Frequency is every 30 minutes. (HK$130)

More about Holiday Inn Express Causeway Bay

Value for $

by chazaqamatz about Holiday Inn Hong Kong Golden Mile

Hotel staffs provide good, prompt & friendly service. the lady at the front desk taught us where to get good local food around the hotel area (kowloon) :) . Hotel chinese restaurant offers good food, we had lunch there.

*our room view is not good (directly opposite the back of commercial building) . No good if u like nice view. Loong Yuen Cantonese Restaurant - good tim sum

Very convenient location. near train station. within walking distance to shopping area.

Location, Location, Location

by TripAdvisor Member ooFlaneryoo

At the risk of repeating what the others have already written about this hotel, I thought I'd just write it anyway. You know, to give some love back.

Stayed at the Express by Holiday Inn hotel from Friday 15 December 2006 till Tuesday 19 December 2006. Booked it directly via their website and got a rate of HKD800 + 13% tax per night (with breakfast), which was a total steal compared to what some of the other Hong Kong Island hotels are charging.

The main reason why we chose this hotel was because of the location, and boy were we not disappointed. It is right beside Times Square, a huge 9-storey shopping mall (with offices above the 9th floor), separated only by the very narrow 2-lane Sharp Street East. The Causeway Bay MTR station's Exit A leads directly to Times Square, it's a long walk through an underpass, but it gets you there.

The hotel entrance may be a little bit tricky to locate if you are new to Hong Kong, just look out for a long vertical billboard with the hotel name right opposite the entrance to the Times Square parking lot. You have to take an escalator up to the hotel lobby. Those familiar with Hong Kong would know that the Causeway Bay area is a major shopping district with countless shops and restaurants.

This is a limited-service hotel, which means a lot of the amenities you find at other full-service hotels are absent. From what I gathered this hotel does NOT have:-

- gym;
- swimming pool;
- shopping arcade;
- room service;
- porters;
- concierge;
- bathtubs;
- drinks/snacks in the in-room fridge; and
- buffet breakfast.

A word about the breakfast. It is served daily at The Dining Room, a restaurant (with a tank full of live lobsters) right beside the reception at the lobby. You choose one out of three breakfast sets. Set A consists of eggs, sausages/ham/bacon and toast. Set B consists of a salad. Set C consists of a rice based dish which varied a little (congee, etc) the few days we were there. Free-flow of coffee and tea.

What this hotel does have:-

- courteous and helpful staff;
- surprisingly spacious rooms (by HK standards);
- clean and new fittings (only opened in 2005 apparently);
- queen size bed;
- in-room safe;
- in-room fridge;
- smallish wardrobe;
- laundry services;
- TV with a good selection of local and international channels; and
- attached shower.

There really isn't anything negative I could think of about our experience there. Most of the absent amenities we do not use anyway, so we did not miss them at all.

We requested for a late check-out because our flight home was at 8pm. Staff at the counter (very politely) told us that they are running a full-house (not unexpected, considering it's December) and so the latest we could check-out was 2pm. Good enough for us, we left our luggage at the reception and went walking around town till it was time to go. Charges for depositing luggage is HKD30 per piece, which is waived if you are a Priority Club member.

Excellent excellent place to stay if you are not the type who demands to be waited on all the time and are totally spoilt by 5-star hotel amenities.

Typical limited-service hotel

by TripAdvisor Member tomis

My husband, my son and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights around New Year's Eve 2006. We found it to be a fairly typical limited-service hotel. The room was small, but modern and clean. Closet space was very limited and there were no dressers. Being a party of three, we had to use both the double bed and the sofa bed, which made for pretty cramped surroundings. Beware of the so-called sofa bed. It consists of a piece that acts as a headboard and a thin mattress that unfolds directly on the floor. Even my teenager son found it a little uncomfortable, and he can sleep pretty much anywhere.

The walls must have been very thin and/or the pipes must have crossed very close to our room because we could hear water running late into the night and early in the morning. Nothing that ear plugs wouldn't solve, but a little annoying nonetheless.

The TV selection was extremely limited even by Holiday Inn standards, with most channels in Chinese. Although we didn't have a lot of time to watch TV, some nights it would have been nice to have a free movie channel, like HBO, available.

Breakfast was simply not worth waiting in line for. It consisted of three choices - A, B, or C, the same every day. While that might seem to provide some variety, in reality, if you rule out the noodles & beef you're left with a bowl of cereals, or fried eggs. The really annoying part was that the fried eggs came with a choice of cheap tea or coffee, while to get orange juice you had to instead choose the bowl of cereals. The cups were only half filled and we got the feeling that providing refills was only done grudgingly. That, coupled with their refusal to provide a glass of juice instead of the tea/coffee, seemed a little cheap even for a no-frills hotel. The service in the restaurant was very poor, with waiters yelling at each other across tables and long waits before you could "order". The tables were dirty and the fabric on the chairs was heavily stained. The waiters would clean the tables with a sweep of their hand, carelessly dropping crumbs and everything else directly into your lap or on your shoes. Bottom line, skip the hotel breakfast. There are lots of bakeries close by where you can get fresh pastries for a reasonable price.

On the plus side, the hotel was clean, very conveniently located and relatively inexpensive by Hong Kong standards. The free Internet access was nice, although if you wanted to print anything, like boarding passes, you had to pay a small fee.

Amazing 'Express' Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Noodlesz

I would like to share with all of you the great experience I had at the Holiday Inn Express in Causeway Bay. Granted, it wasn't the best high-class experience, but you must understand that you are staying at an 'express' limited-service property. With that in mind it is amazing.

Firstly, about the hotel room/facilities in general. There were 3 of us staying in a 2 single bed/1 sofa bed room. Yes, as people have mentioned the sofa bed isn't really a sofa bed, the cushions fold out. But in all fairness, the cushions were fairly firm (better than many sofa beds) and it was actually wider than the single bed.

FYI, The hotel also charges a $300HKD extra for the 3rd person. However, because my confirmation did not state this, the hotel professionally waived this fee (as they should have.)

The room is decently sized for Hong Kong. (I'd estimate 250sq ft.) Actually only slightly smaller than something you'd find in an urban US city. The only real gripe is that the bathroom door doesn't lock. It oddly swings to either close to block off the whole bathroom or just the toilet, I didn't like this, but really wasn't too big of a deal as long as no one walks in. (Also, for some reason there's a piece of clear glass way above the frosted part that people can look into the bathroom, which I also thought was odd. Minor concern.)

The closet is small but there is a great handy minifridge, especially since I stayed 5 days to store drinks and whatnot. There is a safe in the room and the TV is decent, though as previously mentioned, not a large selection of international channels, but enough English and who really watches that much tv in HK? Good soccer channels though showing english teams. No iron in the room, but there is a room to go to iron your clothes. Laundry in hotel is expensive so I went to a laundromat about 2 blocks away on the other side of Times Sq. I think it's Dundas St in english. (There's 2 laundry places on that block, cost me $24HKD for 7 lbs of laundry.)

Housekeeping was great, they didn't disturb us as we placed the do not disturb sign out and usually stayed in the room until early afternoon. (Then soon after they always came to clean w/o issue.) Because of that I left a tip each day even though you don't have to in HK. Toiletries suck though. The best thing is the toothbrush/toothpaste included. Soap / Shampoo is some weird all in one combo liquid. I used it one day, didn't like it so I bought my own. Towels aren't luxurious but they aren't sandpaper, average towels. (not face clothes like they give you in the states. just hand towels and bath towels)

Only woke up early enough to have breakfast 1 of 5 days I was there, but it was good the first day. had the western breakfast, no wait, no cost, good service, good portions.

All in all hotel was great, for the $750/nt HKD i paid. Location cannot be beat, right across from Times Sq. Near MTR (though long walk to platform.), all buses, and ding ding (tram.) I barely even took the MTR when I was there since cabs, walking, buses were more convenient. Everything goes to somewhere from Causeway Bay. Cab was about $25-30 to Lan Gwai Fong, Admiralty, & North Point.

Highly reccommended hotel, if you can bare the limited services.

Good hotel, excellent location

by TripAdvisor Member cgdkl

We stayed in the hotel for 16 nights and we will definitely return there on our next trip to Hong Kong. The rooms were a good size. Everything from the bed, which was very comfortable , to the furniture and fittings were off a high standard. The only minor problem was lack of wardrobe space. We were not too surprised at that as I would imagine most guests would only stay a few days and there woudn't be too many there for as long as we were.
There were 6 restaurants in the same building and hundreds of restaurants in the area around. It was very convenient for shopping and public transport the MTR(the easiest way to travel) being only a 10 minute walk away.
Finally the staff on the reception were helpful and friendly.
I have no problem recommending this hotel. We have been in more expensive hotels in HK which were not as comfortable as this one.

Clean and new

by TripAdvisor Member SandyCAdelaide

This hotel was clean and fresh and very new. We booked a triple room. There were 2 single beds and a fold down couch. I would not recommend this fold down couch for anyone over the age of 12 it is not really a suitable bed. The breakfast vouchers were good and we had a good serve of bacon and eggs every day. The room was small but expected for Hong Kong. I would definately stay there again

Highly recommended!!!

by TripAdvisor Member bigbenj

We booked a room online (lowest rate guarantee) and stayed for 4 nights during the 1st week of January this year. This hotel is no frills, with a very small lobby but very strategically located in Causeway Bay, being just a few steps (really!) away from the main shopping mall Times Square. If you plan to stay in Causeway Bay you can't go wrong with this location location location! Checking into this hotel we used the hotel trolley to bring up our luggage.

The room is clean with queen size bed and comes with a sofa bed which is where our two kids slept. It can be a bit cramped if you bring more than 2 pieces of big luggage. The toilet and shower is very nice and modern. The room in general looks very new and has internet connection. There are several PCs as well in the business center which can be accessed only by guests and is free. You need to swipe your card to be able to enter and use the computers. A very nice touch in my opinion is the big open play area for children and those who just want to sit down and read papers. This space is right beside the computer area so one can keep an eye on the kids while checking emails.

Free breakfast came with the room. It's not a buffet which is common in other hotels but you can choose from 3 different types in the menu. All are quite tasty and delicious. Service is quick and efficient due probably to the small coffee shop.

I will definitely recommend this to everyone i meet and will stay here again in my future trips to HK. Highly recommended!!!

hotel

by HeBeVa

What is a best hotel under $100.00 Hong Kong island with free wifi

by joyce.tse

Are you referring US$100, just for clarification?

Cheers
Joyce

by HeBeVa

Yes, under US$100.00 with private bath and located in the Hong Kong island itself. Tx

by joyce.tse

Hi

Suggest to stay at Express by Holiday Inn Causeway Bay Hong Kong. The hotel is easily accessible. I have two friends staying there before and they highly recomend to me in term of the location and price. You may take a look at the hotel and see if this fits your requirement and budget.

Cheers