Hong Kong Hostel

3 F, Block A, 47 Paterson Street, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong, Hong Kong Region, China
#97 of 985 hotels in Hong Kong

Tags

Budget Travel Backpacking
See Amenities
HebaM's Profile Photo

you get what you pay for

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 12, 2015

Pros:
Location; Located in the heart of Causeway Bay, surrounded by shopping malls.
Reasonable price
The bed was comfy and they provided a heavy quilt
Cons:
The so called bathroom was A TOTAL disaster. You are only entitled with 10 min of hot water
Very dull and small room
No personal spot light! If the others decided to turn off the light at 10:00 pm you'll be left in the dark
Very noisy
Thin walls you can hear almost everything from the next room and the hallway
The cleaning lady was very rude... she barges into the room without permission, I was asleep and she wakes me up and when I asked her to come later she refused
The staff are not friendly

Unique Quality: Located in the heart of Causeway Bay, surrounded by shopping malls.

Sweeboon's Profile Photo

Paterson Street's Good Crib

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 20, 2008

Seriously, this is a pretty cheapie and good find.
If you're looking for budget stay, I would strongly recommend this place based on these points:-

1) It's located in Causeway Bay, Paterson Str, which happens to be a pretty safe and quiet area.

2) Well since it's in Causeway Bay, you get everything basically. Restaurants, 7eleven are all within 3 min walk.

3) Not to mention, it's located within the same block as Fashion Walk (woohoo, big fashion spenders!)

Unique Quality: Private bathroom, TV, Air-cond, Small closet and free Internet access!

Directions: Fashion Walk

graeme83's Profile Photo

Hong Kong Hostel

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 3, 2008

Good location and I know that Hong Kong property is expensive, but this place took the award for worst hostel ever from Meeting Point Hostel in Amsterdam. Very cramped rooms with no air-con. No common room - just a computer in a room two floors away which contained the most annoying kid in the world ever (if you've ever stayed here you know who i mean). Expensive laundry services. I came over to Hong Kong from China and was just blown away by the difference in hostel services between the two countries. I couldn't wait to get back to China.

blawatek's Profile Photo

Hong Kong Hostel

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 29, 2007

A veeery average hostel with small, rather dirty and dark room (actually without window) and noisly airconditionig. The only positive is a location - excellent shopping area (Causeway Bay) & one minute away from subway station! Rather do not recommend!

Directions: In vicinity of Causeway Bay subway station (exit from subway "great george street" and then turn left on the first corner)

Warning: Wang Fat Hostel (Hong Kong Hostel)

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 30, 2007

We stayed at Wang Fat Hostel (in Causeway Bay) last week and wanted to share our experience. Our room was small, drab and windowless. which I hear is not unusual in Hong Kong in that price range. The staff is not very friendly or helpful. Some people have complained that they were turned away even though they had a confirmed reservation. We had to produce a printed copy of an email for them to reluctantly acknowledge we had a reservation and had paid a deposit.

But the biggest problem is their lack of honesty. When we tried to check out around 8am, the office/reception was locked and there was nobody there to check us out and refund our $HK 100 key deposit (even though a sign by the door proudly displays 24/7 customer service…). We knocked, rang the bell and called out but nobody came. After 20 minutes, we gave up as we had to leave to catch a flight. We threw the key through the office’s locked grille along with a note explaining the situation. I followed up with an email asking that they refund the key deposit by Paypal (the method they had required us to use to pay a deposit when we booked). They just plain refused and ignored any further email from us.

The bottom line is I don’t think this establishment can be trusted and would advise people against booking there.

Directions: Causeway bay

Vita500's Profile Photo

Convenient and cheap but that's about it!

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 3, 2006

The Wang Fat Hostel (also known as Hong Kong Hostel) received some good feedbacks on VT. Hence, as I needed to spend one night somewhere before moving into my friend's apartment for the remaining stay, I made a reservation with Wang Fat to try it out.

Frankly, this was my first stay at a hostel. As you can see from the above tips, I usually stayed at various 3-star hotels. Maybe my expectation was simply too high or I just made wrong assumptions based on the very decent picture from their website.

Whatever it was, I was rather disappointed.
First of all, the place is rather hard to find as there are no signs whatsoever outside. I heard that, officially, no hostel is allowed to be in a normal apartment building. That's probably why they couldn't put a signboard outside.
Secondly, the room was tiny (ok, nothing unusual for HK), there was this usual toilet-shower-cabin (all-in-one) but the worst part was actually that all rooms that I have seen where windowless and it really looked like a hole.

Since the building is rather old, the rooms looked pretty worn-out but were kept clean enough. The bed was rather short though, so for people taller than 1.80m it might be hard to sleep.

Personally, I'll probably spend some more money for a decent 3-star hotel next time just to enjoy a little more comfort. Yes, I usually don't spend much time indoors anyway but at least i can look forward to some decent room after a long days trip outside.

Directions: Causeway Bay station, Exit E

• Room Service
  • Free High Speed Internet
  • Kitchenette

Hong Kong Travel Forum

Need advice about Hong Kong? Visit the Travel Forum for Hong Kong and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Hong Kong hotel reviews

B P International
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 15 Reviews
Ibis Century Hotel (Hongkong North Point)
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 8 Reviews

Explore Deeper into Hong Kong
Central District
Aberdeen
Things to Do
Hong Kong Park (Admiralty)
Electronics