Supreme Court Rd, Pacific Place, Hong Kong, China

Island Shangri-La Hotel
Agoda.com Asiatravel.com Hotels.com

Costs 74% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• fipsi's Profile Photo

Whole China below a single roof

Apart from a beautiful China pot filled with fragrant Jasmine tea and besides preserved plums as good-night-goodies, the tested room was 100 percent Western style: Heavy, cushioned seating furniture was arranged next to a solid, dark-brown desk and a huge leather-covered office chair. A neat chandelier was decorating the ceiling. Next to the bed lay a corporate edition of James Hilton’s novel “The Lost Horizon”, the source of the Shangri-La myth. As in many other Hong Kong high-end hotels, the magnificent marble laid-out bath room was equipped with L’Occitane products.

Unique Quality: The hotel houses the world’s largest silk painting. The whole thing is called “Great Motherland of China”, and it covers 714 square meters (2343 sq ft), stretching over 16 levels until very scarcely below the translucid roof of the building, which is part of the Pacific Place complex in the Admirality district on Hong Kong Island.

Read more on my Jin Sha Blog

----

• MarianneRules's Profile Photo

I really want to live here

My first 5 star experience….holy cow…..this is how its done…. Even the shampoo is awesome.

We got into our room and there was hot tea waiting…

they took care of our Visas at the front desk

they knew our name when we went back down to the front desk

the décor…oh wow, the décor.

The bathroom had a TV…

...the food, I’ve never had such good fruit in my life.

The service, the slippers by our beds at night, the munchies in our room

… This is how its done!

• herrylaw's Profile Photo

The Best Business Hotel in Asia

The Island Shangri-La combines perfect personal service with large and beautifully appointed rooms and excellent facilities - not least direct access to the Pacific Place shopping centre

Unique Quality: Wonderful views of the harbour - and the Peak. A great pool, superb restaurants including one of the best Japanese restaurants outside Japan, and lovely rooms (much bigger than at the Mandarin, for instance)

Directions: Pacific Place

• Restless-in-kl's Profile Photo

Posh place to stay on business

Island Shangri-La is centrally located in the heart of Hong Kong. Towering 56 floors above Victoria Harbour, it has direct access to Pacific Place - the island's most prestigious shopping and entertainment complex.

Rooms here are spacious and offer great views of the harbour and majestic peak.

Directions: Pacific Place,
    Supreme Court Road,
    Central, Hong Kong

• herrylaw's Profile Photo

Maybe the best business hotel in the world

An almost perfect place; the scent of flowers in the lobby as you arrive tired after a long flight - a friendly welcome - all one's favourite things waiting in the room - fresh tea, some rasberries, small cakes, the best gowns of anywhere - beautiful rooms with stunning views of the harbour or the Peak - a perfect pool and poolside cafe - and Nadaman, possibley the best Japanese restaurant outside Japan. Only marred by inferior food in Cafe Too and poor coffe throughout - except for the Gourmet Cafe

Unique Quality: Above the Pacific Place mall - one of the best in Hong Kong

Directions: Pacific Place

• iwys's Profile Photo

Say hello to Albert for me

The last time that I stayed in Hong Kong, I enjoyed the facilities at the Island Shangri-La so much that I hardly left it. It has been voted the best hotel in the world on several occasions.

It is a modern 56-storey tower block, but it's certainly not characterless. Floating in the hotel pool is like being in a David Hockney painting.

The rooms are comfortable and the facilities are outstanding.

I liked the health club, with its steam room and sauna, I enjoyed swimming in the outdoor pool, but most of all, I loved lying in the outdoor jacuzzi, looking up at the futuristic, Hong Kong skyline.

Unique Quality: What really sets this hotel apart, is the quality of the staff. They are, quite simply, the best.

To give you an example, I forgot my sweaty
    t-shirt in the hotel's health club. It was sent up to my room, laundered and freshly-pressed, at no charge, with a note from Albert the fitness trainer: "I think you forgot this."

I filled out the hotel questionnaire, before I left and gave a special mention to Albert. Later that year, after I had returned home, I received a christmas card from Albert! THAT is how good the staff at the Island Shangri-La are.

Directions: Central on Hong Kong Island.

• One of Hong Kong's many, most luxurious hotels

I stayed at this hotel for about two weeks in July 2003, just after the SARS problem. Due to this, the Island Shangri La (and MANY others) offered decent discounts on accomodation.

We enjoyed a buy two nights, get one free offer. Despite this, it was still costly, but in my opinion definately well worth it. If you can afford to do so, stay in the very best in Hong Kong!

I have found the hotels there to be of a much higher standard than those in Europe, USA and sometimes Japan. I cannot comment on hostels or below 3 star hotels, but it seems that above 3 star the hotels are just generally better than anywhere else in the world (I have been to). You will not easily find such luxury as the 5/6 (yes 6) star hotels in Hong Kong.

As in most 5 star hotels, the service was excellent, the staff keen to help and most attentive.

On arrival the room was supplied with complimentary fresh fruit, a small box of gorgeous chocolates (from the hotel's afternoon tea and cake shop) and a pot of hot tea for all guests. Thes e free snacks were most welcoming.

The bathroom was large, marble and clean. There were scales, basic toiletries plus nail files, cotton pads/wool, toothbrushes, shower caps, shaving cream and razor plus more...

There was a small, but wonderful outdoor swimming pool which provided a view of the sides of the Peak, and famous skyscrapers nearby. There were either one or two outdoor jacuzzis which were very relaxing.

There was a large, bright and very well equipped gym with instructors on hand to help. In the changing rooms there were saunas, steam rooms plus more. All basic toiletries plus less commonly seen (in hotels) ones were available to use (and take away) plus hair dryers.

There were two complimentary breakfast buffets included in the price of the room, my parents enjoyed those daily.

The hotel had several restaurants, Chinese and (I think) Japanese and some kind of western resturants, plus the buffet one, a cake shop/afternoon tea cafe.

Unique Quality: Location, location, location! This hotel was connected to Pacific Place mall and two exits of Admiralty MTR station. I think it's a business area with an expensive mall for the wives of rich businessmen! (Lol!)

Pacific Place is a clean, bright, large and expensive mall for wealthy people. There are more affordable shops too, mostly on the level 1 (Mc Donald's, Mango, FCUK, Watson's etc) and a few on the one above.

I noticed that the most expensive shops were on the highest floor (Dior, Chanel, LV etc etc). There were some brands that I was pleased to see because they are hard to find back home (Miu Miu!!!! Shu Uemura etc). There are several resturants near the MTR station and there is a food court with KFC etc.

There is a Lane Crawford and a Seibu (with a great food area on the lowest floor of the shop with food from ALL around the world - I saw Waitrose juice in 2003!) It's pricey but good quality and nice selection. I liked very much the Japanese foods which are rare in the UK.

Pacific Place is fine if you have a lot of money, or just want to admire the shops and relax. It's not extremely busy.

There was a bus terminus underneath a connected mall (Queensway Plaza) and other bus stops around that area too. It was, I believe in walking distance of many business buildings.

It was also where you could get a bus to the Peak, Stanley, Ocean Park plus other touristy places.

You could also get a tram to Causeway Bay, Wan Chai, a Star Ferry Port and others.

Directions: Take the MTR to Admiralty, then the exit for Pacific Place, go to the lifts near Mc Donald's and go to level 5 (I think) for the hotel.

• Icewine's Profile Photo

Complimentary Phone Calls

Unique Quality: Unlike hotels in other Asian countries, most local hotels still charge for local telephone calls even on the executive floor.

The Grand Hyatt is a clear winner charging the highest of all the hotel on the Island with HK$ 7 per call !

The Island Shangri-la is the only hotel on the Island to offer complimentary local calls in every room. The Conrad, Park Lane, and JW Marriott are also the only other hotels on the Island that offer complimentary local telephone calls on the Island, in their executive floor rooms.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo

Shangri-la Group of Hotels

Shangri-la HK has to be one of the most conveniently located hotels in Hong Kong with Pacific Mall & MTR below it & within walking distance to the Convention Center as well as the CBD in Central.

Unique Quality: Beautifully decorated 5* hotel conveniently located, one subway stop from Central.

More about Island Shangri-La Hotel Hong Kong

The Island Shangri-La goes above and beyond...

by TripAdvisor Member BlueSky99

I was thoroughly impressed with the Island Shangri-La for a wide variety of reasons (some of which I’ll go into more detail about below), but it primarily boils down to exceptional service. Clearly, this is an expensive hotel, but in this case I believe the adage “you get what you pay for” holds true.

I arrived at the hotel about 10 a.m. and attempted to check in without really expecting to be able to due to the time. As it turns out, my room would not be ready until 11, but they went ahead and did all of the administrative activities, and stored my bags for me while I headed out on a sight seeing adventure. They offered me a room to use until mine was ready, but I was more interested in getting out and about so I declined. When I returned, my room was ready, and they gave me the keys. Overall, checking in was quick and efficient, and everyone was very pleasant.

That’s all great, but to be honest a friendly, quick, and efficient registration is not a high hurdle. In fact, I would go so far as to say it should be “expected” from a 5 star hotel. From my perspective, the things that make the Shangri-La stand apart are its unexpected touches.

When I went up to my room, a Deluxe Harbour View room, I was immediately impressed. The room was very traditional in style, but had plenty of space for my fiancé (who was arriving later that evening) and me. My room was situated in such a way that the bathroom was on the left as I walked in. The bathroom had intricately laid marble floors, a soaking tub, a separate walk-in shower, a commode, a bidet, one of the standard retractable clothes lines, and a telephone line. All very elegant. The touch that surprised me about the bathroom was that there was a small flat-screen TV built into the marble wall to watch as you soaked in the tub. I think the TV turned on automatically when you turned on the lights. I point that out because the TV tuned automatically to a station that played light, classical music, making the bathroom a very relaxing environment. When in the hotel room I remember thinking on several occasions how pleasant the music made the room.

On the right as I walked in were the closets. Plenty of space to hang clothes. Standard robes, slippers, iron, ironing board, etc. There were a couple of things that pleasantly surprised me about the closets though. For example there were “emergency smoke hoods” to increase the likelihood of a successful evacuation in the unlikely event of a fire. There was an oversized safe – key word is oversized – I sometimes have difficulty fitting my valuables in the in-room safe… certainly not a problem here! Also unexpectedly, they offered shoe trees. Again, nothing to write home about, but I offer those examples in support of the premise that the Island Shangri-La pays attention to the little details.

Going further into the room on the left was the minibar / refrigerator. Pretty standard – but offering “free” bottled water. Next on the right was the TV (a traditional CRT) in an armoire – we didn’t watch much television, but there were numerous stations in English including several news channels and a movie channel, among others. Proceeding further into the room on the right was the executive desk, offering high speed (Ethernet, not WiFi) internet (which could be purchased for a matter of hours or days), plugs that supported all of the primary international standards, a telephone, and desk lamp. The unexpected aspect was the 4-in-1 in-jet printer (OK, if I had done my homework and looked at their website, I wouldn’t have been surprised, but I didn’t, so I was surprised). One neat touch was that whenever we received a message at the front desk, or had a package delivered, etc, they would fax us the message so it was immediately available to us. To make sure we received the message they would also send a voicemail message to the phone.

Now we’re at the far wall, which you might know better as a window. The window was covered by the standard sheer (translucent) drapes for during the day, and a second set of heavy curtains for sleeping when you want to block out all of the light. Again, this is a little thing, but somewhat unexpected in that both sets of curtains were power operated with the switches being right by the bed, so when you wake up or go to sleep you can start or end the day gazing at the incredible view (which sadly is often times blocked by the heavy air pollution). The view on a clear day though is very nice (for a cityscape), certainly quintessential Hong Kong with a view of the Harbour and the Star Ferries, etc. Very nice view at night too.

Continuing moving left there are a few comfortable chairs and a small table with a complimentary fruit basket.

Now we’re on the left wall in the “bedroom”. There was a nightstand with a phone, clock, and notepad. Above the nightstand were the aforementioned switches that controlled various aspects of the room. The “surprise” about the nightstand was a clock that had a small automatic night light that popped on unobtrusively whenever you touch the clock in the dark.

The bed was comfortable and provided a good night’s sleep. A synthetic pillow was available in the closet for people with allergies. I guess my only “complaint” about the hotel was that when they did the turn down service, they kept only doing my side (putting out some water and slippers for me). While clearly not a big deal, they never figured out that there were two of us in the room. My guess is it has something to do with the fact that my fiancé checked in around midnight that first night, after the first turn down had occurred. I’m certain that if I had mentioned anything it would have been corrected, but it was so trivial, I didn’t do that.

Rounding out the room was a small “sofa” that doubled as a place to put my suitcase. It also had drawers in which to unpack the rest of the clothes.

OK, enough about the room on to the service.

We were in Hong Kong primarily to see the Hong Kong Rugby Sevens, which I understand is currently the 2nd largest sports event in Asia. For those of you unfamiliar with it, the best way I can describe it (which I must apologize for because it doesn’t quite do it justice) is Super Bowl meets Mardi Gras (I guess that would make it the Super Mardi Gras Bowl!). Anyway, it’s quite an event, but I digress. One of our friends shattered his ankle at the event (doing a ballet move of all things). The Emergency Medical Technicians at the event did a field test on it in the morning and incorrectly told him it was just a sprain, and that he shouldn’t worry about it. Of course as the day progressed the pain became excruciating, so he wanted a second opinion. We call the hotel to get some assistance, and they sent over some crutches. When we arrived at the hotel after the event, the bell staff called him by name as he was exiting the taxi, and had a wheel chair waiting for him to take him to his room where a doctor was also waiting (the doctor had been specially paged, and actually had bags with him from his shopping trip). The doctor (who spoke English very well) could tell that it was more than a sprain and had our friend admitted to a local hospital. As it turns out, he had fractured his ankle bone (or to be more precise one of his ankle bones) and had to have emergency surgery that put him in the hospital for 5 days. That’s a story for a different time though. (The hospital itself was "different" than you would find in the US, but a very good hospital with all of the facilities necessary to quickly, accurately, and efficiently diagnose his condition and perform the fairly-complex surgery. Also, the Doctors were extremely professional, knowledgeable, and patient. Incidentally, 2 of the 3 Doctors were called in after midnight and each arrived very quickly and were eager to help. (In case you’re curious, he made it through the surgery just fine, despite going under general anesthesia and requiring 7 screws in his ankle. He flew home to Tokyo at the end of the week and is already starting physical therapy).

Enough of that though, back to the hotel. I only ate at the hotel restaurant for breakfast. It is a massive buffet style breakfast with all types of cuisine, all prepared very well. If you can’t find something to eat there, then you’re probably in trouble anyway. We went for a swim one morning (towels are available at the pool). They have one lane which means that 2 people can effectively swim laps. The morning we went, there were 5 people trying to swim, so it was a bit tight. I did like the length of the pool though. The next day we went to the fitness center instead, and it was very nice. All sorts of equipment (treadmills and elipticals – both with TVs built in, stationary bikes, weight machines, etc). When you arrive at the fitness center they provide you with earphones, and with a bottle of water, and a towel. There are also a lot of magazines available, as well as fresh lemonade, limeade, and ice tea. Very nice.

Since our friend was having surgery the morning we had to leave, we requested a late check out, which was granted without any issue. I had to head to the airport before my fiancé, so I really don’t have any insight into the checkout experience. I assume it went fine since I didn’t hear otherwise.

That’s it. In case you can’t tell, based on my experience at the Island Shangri-La, I would definitely recommend it to those of you who are seeking an upscale hotel in Hong Kong. Enjoy your visit!

Going to Ocean Park from Island Shangri-la Hotel via MTR

by lilwicked114

Is it possible to ride an MTR if Im going to Ocean Park from my hotel in Island Shangri-la Hotel? If yes, how? If no, what possible, convenient way to get there?

Re: Going to Ocean Park from Island Shangri-la Hotel via MTR

by yvr

Your answer was given to you in your previous posting.

Re: Going to Ocean Park from Island Shangri-la Hotel via MTR

by Jolaz

For your information, you cannot get to Ocean Park by MTR if you set off at Island Shangri-La (where the closest MTR station is Admiralty). Instead you should go for the Citybus 629 at the Admiralty Bus terminal that goes directly from Admiralty all the way to Ocean Park. You may refer to below for information.

Comments