3 Kau U Fong Central, Hong Kong, China

Booking.com Orbitz.com Asiatravel.com

Costs 44% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Shigeru.Oyama's Profile Photo

HK's good hotel

Stayed two weeks and had stayed 4 times for business.
    This hotel is goof for business in Central.

Service is good.
    Room is a little bit small.
    Bathroom is small.
    View is so so...

Price: 1,100 HKD ~ 1,400 HKD

Unique Quality: Close to Central.

More about Lan Kwai Fong Hotel

Lan Kwai Fong Hotel, Hong Kong- decidedly average

by TripAdvisor Member greeny76

We knew we were on to a bad deal when we noted the reaction of the first few locals we came into contact with as soon as we mentioned that we were staying in the "Lan Kwai Fong Hotel". Extortionate and overpriced were two adjectives used among tuts of dissaproval.

We stayed at the Lan Kwai Fong for our honeymoon and expected a little more luxury for the price we paid. The harbour view promised was present, if we craned our necks out of our small balcony risking life and limb but it was nothing like as advertised on the hotel website. I suspect that the pics were taken before 4-5 high rise hotels were built in front of it!

The suite was compact and if you don't mind stubbing shins and toes on wedged in furniture as you make your way around, perfectly adequate.

The efficiently designed bathroom was adequate and the bath was equipped with a plug, however it was too small to fit the plughole which made a romantic bath somewhat challenging. That's if you could get 2 people in it, being less than half the size of a standard bath. As a shower basin, it just about did the job but the peeling paint used to cover well a worn bath somewhat tainted the feeling of luxury.

An offer of 2 nights minimum stay for a reasonable tarriff is advertised on their website but we think this is rarely available and the actual rate is generally somewhat higher.

And our tarrif didn't include breakfast, which wasn't made entirely clear at time of booking but apparently this is fairly standard and we shouldn't have expected any. They did however offer to refund the one breakfast we ordered by mistake when we thought it may be included, which was a nice gesture.

There were some very lovely oriental style touches and it provided a less bland atmostphere to our stay in comparison with a Best Western or other standard chain hotel but left us feeling like we'd been completely ripped off.

a touch of home

by TripAdvisor Member lieveguy

We had decided tot celebrate New Year's Eve in Hong Kong and had already booked a room in the Lan Kwai Fong Hotel when we read the negative hotel reviews on Trip Advisor. We were extremely worried about what to find upon arrival, especially the (lack of) hygiene caused me sleepless nights.
But I needn't have worried.
We loved staying at this hotel. When we arrived, we were given an upgrade to a harbour view room on the 27th floor. Great view , especially at night.
The room was not too big, but very cosy and very clean (even bathrobes and slippers were changed every day). We did like the oriental style.
The staff was very young and very friendly and so helpful. They all did their very best to give you this particular feeling of being welcome, of feeling at home.
We 'd definitely go back to this hotel.

Met all Expectations

by TripAdvisor Member Newtown-T

The Lan Kwai Fong Hotel more than met our expectations of a Hong Kong hotel.

Yes, the room wasn't huge (which is to be expected in Hong Kong), and as other reviews have said, the bed was on the firm side. The room was nicely decorated, the bathroom an adequate size with good shower and the harbour views (through the buildings) adequate.

We arrived at 9AM with a 2PM check-in time, but were in our room by about 10AM, which was welcome after arriving tired from Europe. We also scored an upgrade to a deluxe room, which was a welcome bonus.

The staff were efficient and courteous and the stand-out person was Ms Agnes Cheng, the Sales and Marketing Manager, who provided us with a list of restaurants in the area, ranging from an award winning silver service restaurant to a traditional dim sum tea house. She appeared to have a genuine interest in our stay and also offered sightseeing advice for Hong Kong and Macau.

Horrible

by TripAdvisor Member RabidTravid

So....

The hotel itself is a great idea, in a great part of town. But something went wrong with the execution. I moved out after one night.

The beds were rock hard, short and extremely uncomfortable.

The rooms were tiny. I didnt believe the other reviews, but i should have. There was no where to turn.

The walls were paper thin. we could hear the guy across the hall sneezing.

On the flip side, the location was great and the service staff very friendly and helpful. For the price check out other boutiques. I stayed at TheS on another trip and liked it much more.

There a better hotels in HK!

by TripAdvisor Member NONO9

I am staying frequently in HK for business and usually choose hotels in the price range up to 150US$. This time I was on a vacation with my girlfriend, so I chose a higher priced hotel with a nice harbor view. My room at the hotel was the deluxe room with harbor view, 247 US$ ++ a night, incl. Breakfast.
It was the worst hotel I ever stayed in HK! Unfriendly staff, even at the hotel lobby, no hello all the time we come back. Breakfast room for max 20 people and an annoying breakfast buffet! You have to wait in a line to get a seat. Keep in mind, it’s a 34 floor hotel! Over all, it was just a big rip off! Many better hotels, lower prices as well in HK.

great location- but definitelhy unsanitary and bs service

by TripAdvisor Member r8zzberry

The only plus to the place is the central location- however

I discovered lots of hairs on the layer above the mattress but under the bedsheet. We had to switch 3 different rooms and they all had digusting hair underneath their bedsheet. any ventilation in the restroom, so it has a moldy, towel smell.

There was no any ventilation in the restroom, so it has a moldy, towel smell. The rooms are very tiny and the hotel hardly has a lobby.

The assistant manager tried to tell me that it is not standard to wash the layer under the bedsheet. How unsanitary! I only stayed because the nights were booked with my plane ticket.

I like my mattresses firm, but their mattress was unreasonably hard and uncomfortable. By the end of my stay, I had a wierd bug bite on my leg.

The wierd thing is the majority of the staff there are male. They are very unsensitive to the sanitation of the room.

In the end they just ended having to vaccum the hairs off the bed!
Also the shower was clogged.

Belongings disappeared from my room

by TripAdvisor Member Sydneytraveler63

IS THEFT A PROBLEM HERE?

The Lan Kwai Fong is a small 'cheapish' hotel that is OK if you want to stay a day or two. BUT I had a shopping bag 'disappear' from the room at the time it was serviced - most probably by accident. The problem was that it had a $300 watch in it that was my polar exercise watch with two years of data on it - should back up I know! - credit card recipts with my signature on it and the receipts for a watch that I had bought that morning but was wearing at the time.

When the management could not find any trace of the watch they basically stonewalled me and said that it was my problem because they could not find the watch - well - not very good when our company uses this hotel for it's proximity.

My advice - stay away. I did not see the other reports of theft in the other reviews until I read the other reviews on trip advisor following this experience.

Try the Salisbury on Kowloon - heaps better. For me next time I am going to stay somewhere that the staff know not to remove ANY shopping bags. I could have spent the extra 300 bucks that I lost in a hotel where the staff know that.

The Hotel is OK but they are very very poor at problem fixing!

Great experience

by TripAdvisor Member janz0511

Loved this hotel, one of the bes accomodations ive stayed in asia. Usually we're not "hotel people" and we spend time only in the hotel for sleep, but at LKF hotel we enjoyed the facilites there so much that we spent more time in the hotel than originally planned, which meant sacrificing other activies but no complains from us there.
Good for value and the service is unbelievably friendly, staff were very helpful and always willing to go out of the way to assist us which we really appreciated and no problems with communication at all.
Rooms were reasonably neat and tidy like any standard hotel, and location - absolutely marvelous.
Situated close to LKF, very convenient, love the night life there.
Usually if returning to the country again, I tend to try out different hotels, but if ever returning to HK, I will defintely return to LKF Hotel and it's a must try for all you travellers who are seeking a bit of luxury, comfort and convenience.

Great location, small but fun rooms

by TripAdvisor Member mal_de_terre

Note- there are two hotels in Hong Kong by the same name. This one is just off of Wellington St, on Aberdeen. It's a 10 minute walk from the LKF nightclub area.

Stayed here over several weekends while out in China and Hong Kong on business. Great access to SOHO, the midlevels and LKF. No super convenient to the ferry docks - a 20 minute walk or a 5 minute cab ride. Rooms are small, but pretty nice and can have a great view of the Peak, Mt Davis or peeks of Victoria Harbor. Within a 15 minute walk from the hotel there are literally hundreds of restaurants.

4 star hotels in central ?

by garry69

hi members in hong kong

I will be coming to hong kong to attend hk diamonds jewellery show at wanchai convention centre from 4 - 9 march 2010 . could any body guide to a good 4 star hotel in central probably with a night club . my interest are drinking and food after exhibitions .
thanking you so much
garry

Re: 4 star hotels in central ?

by divadownunder

hi,
you should check out hotel lkf or lan kwai fong hotel. both are smack on in the bustling nightlife, restaurant, pub, bar, club area of lan kwai fong and soho.
i loved hotel lkf, its on lkf tower and it has everything you want. the restaurant on the top floor has amazing views of hk skyline and its minutes walking distance to lkf and soho. enjoy!

Re: 4 star hotels in central ?

by Odinnthor

Having stayed at both hotels I can highly recommend both the Mandarin Oriental Hotel and the Peninsula Hotel. Can't get any better than that.

Comments