Hong Kong Hotels

Our Members Say

• XenosUK profile photo XenosUK
  • Reviews: 92

Nikko Hotel: Great Value Hotel in a Good Location

Unfortunately, the Kowloon Shangri-La, where we stayed on our last two visits had priced itself out of our range for this trip, so we had to look for a cheaper alternative. We got a great deal at the Nikko, just up the road, with harbour view rooms on the Nikko floor, which included full daily breakfast, all-day snacks with beer and soft drinks and very generously proportioned alcoholic drinks and dim sum in the evenings. The room price also included free wi-fi, a discount at all the hotel’s bars and restaurants and separate check-in/check out facilities in the Nikko lounge to save queuing in reception. All this for HK$2,150 per night for 27-29/12 and HK$2,600 for 30/12-2/1 (about £173 / £210 currently), which was less than the price of a standard room only at the Shangri-La.

We were pleasantly surprised by the standard of the hotel and although the rooms were a little smaller and the views not quite as spectacular as the Shangri-La’s, we thought it was excellent value for money. It took an extra couple of minutes to walk to the Star Ferry pier and the MTR station, but hey, we were on holiday, so what’s the rush? I’d definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for something around this price range and the Nikko floor upgrades were well worth paying the extra for!

Harbour views of the island, reasonable distance from public transport, outdoor pool.

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Photography, Food and Dining
  • Written January 6, 2010

Night-time Harbour View

• picek profile photo picek
  • Reviews: 926

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mirador Mansion: another place for budget stays

If Chungking is more famous, more multicultural and crowded, then Mirador is more quiet, more private and somehow more Chinese/Cantonese of a place. And it's is still only a few steps from Chungking and Kowloon Mosque, so yes, you are in the centre of activity!

It is another tall block building here with large open kare in the middle (hmmm... if you want, call this atrium or square) and the views from top to ground are stunning, see those many windows and balconies and air con machines and pipes... but hey, this isn't 5 star hotel and you get what you pay for. I found it as well slightly more friendly than Chngking and slightly less claustophobic, maybe because there's more 'air' between different wings of the building.

It also doesn't have that much guesthouses and shops here and sometimes your guesthouse will be next to family flat and you can actually see here how is the life in Hong Kong, the life of a 'normal' people.
We stayed here on our second visit and actually we just followed a landlady from the street in front of the mansion and lived in her flat/guesthouse... we got our own room with bathroom and had a nice view (see the photo at my front HK site) on the side street down there in front of Holidays inn... and you could watch things going on in the ground floor then, but in matter of fact we didn't really spend much time in the room because we had plenty of things to check out around HK still. Yet, those were really much better views than in Chungking where we saw only to our neigboors rooms in next block, pretty close.
It is okay to take a look into different rooms and if you stay longer you may as well ask for a 'discount'.
Basically rooms are a bit cheaper here and better quality than Chungking mansions (i believe you'll be reading this if you're on low budget), and it is in general safer feel because you can view the public balconies with your eyes and it's not like being in a labyrinth with too many dead ends.

The ground floor is as well full of shops here.

I'll update with photo...

Great choice for budget accomodation if you feel like living like local. Many rooms to choose from with views.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written January 5, 2010

kare... lights lit

• picek profile photo picek
  • Reviews: 926

Chungking Mansions: nights in the Babylon

If there's one building which represents Babylon and globalization in this world then it would be Chungking Mansion in Kowloon/Tsim Sha Tsui. It would be indeed hard to find a visitor to Hong Kong who wouldn't have heard of that legendary place, 17 storey building built in 1961.

This is place to stay if you're looking for cheap accomodation, although cheap in HK means something different than cheap in other Asian countries. You will be able to choose between hundreds of guesthouses and hotels here - and they are scattered among 5 blocks of the building. We came here without pre booking and as far as main holidays are concerned (such as new year) it could be difficult to find a room then - so it's at your risk not to book in advance for main holidays but in the worst case you'd get a room in dorm. Most rooms are small but clean.
You should check out a few places, because prices vary and some rooms are without window, so it feels claustrophobic there. Apart from guesthouses you can find plenty of shops and ethnic restaurants here, but also other things not worth to mention.

I found it a bit frustrating that in a block where we were staying (block A) there was no stairs between ground and first floor or at least I couldn't figure it out where there were (and you have to take elevator). I wouldn't like to be trapped there in case of fire, really. It is also not the best place to stay if you fear height.

This is certainly interesting and vibrant place with interesting history. Make sure that you take care of your belongings and you'll be fine. By the way if you show interest in buying fake 'rolex' and stuff, you will be swarmed by by people who will not give up so fast in order to sell you a thing. So, be carefull, then. You could be as well badly cheated and even fined if caught in the act.

multicultural world here.
tall blocks with hundreds of guesthouses and restaurants... and other services
hear languages, music and fashion of the world

... here globalization is the most intense... in all things good and bad. See film Chungking Express which was in some points recorded here by one of most renowned film directors Wong Kar Wai. An interesting stuff and story.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written January 4, 2010
Tip Photo

on the road, the main facade

• NYTim profile photo NYTim
  • Reviews: 111

Casa hotel: Nice location

Small room in a fairly new hotel. The staff were nice and the room was clean.

Close to all the Kowloon action

• Related to: Photography, Trains, Museum Visits
  • Written November 19, 2009

A bill board on Nathan Road out side my hotel

• FranceSky profile photo FranceSky
  • Reviews: 26

Harbour Plaza: Harbour Plaza Hotel

Preferred stay your holiday in luxury room which is the room showed in its website. The room is really big enough and comfortable, the shower gel, body lotion is good to use. Because it's not the same if you stay in the lower floor (based one), smaller area, old, cheaper body cream and shower gel ^ ^

This most wonderful view is the swimming pool, it is located top floor of the hotel. It's not very very big, but you can see the panoramic view of Hong Kong island, the opposite side island facing of Kowloon.

• Related to: Family Travel, Luxury Travel, Business Travel
  • Written October 13, 2009
Tip Photo

• alycat profile photo alycat
  • Reviews: 436

Chungking Mansions: Hong Kong's melting pot

I had to share my dorm room with people from 3 different nationalities. Imagine the possibilities, the ideas to be shared, the experiences, and the pillow talk jus didnt let me sleep......pun intended!

No seriously, i wudnt trade the experience with even a 5 star room in Hilton, Hyatt or another fancy place. The place does seem seedy from the onset, but has security all the time, has a strict cleanliness policy is always monitored, and its fun.

Its close to all tourist spots, close to the Star ferry, has a Metro station closeby, great cheap Asian food on the ground floor.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written August 11, 2009

Chungking Mansions

• nepalgoods profile photo nepalgoods
  • Reviews: 1342

Chungking Mansion: Just for Contrast

I did not stay here either. But 1991 I stayed in a very similar hostel not far away. When I came back to Hongkong now I never thought, that Chungking Mansion would still exist. This old and rund down building is an ugly sight between all those glittering luxurious hotels and shops selling computers and expensive watches.

In this building are several hostels, which mainly house backpackers. On the groundfloor you'll find some MOney exchangers and Indian Restaurants. The groundfloor looks like a big crowded basar.

As there have been some fires during the last 20 years in the building I would not recommend to stay in one of the hostels.

Cheap

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written July 18, 2009

• nepalgoods profile photo nepalgoods
  • Reviews: 1342

The Mira: Very new and very nice

This has been the former Miramar Hotel. Now it is completely renovated. Very modern and very comfortable. Every detail has been intensely thought of. The clors are harmonic, the standard rooms are very nice. The hotel has every facility you can think of: spa and swimmingpool, banquet halls, restaurant and a famous cafe with delicious cakes.

Ver interesting are the low hallways: with a construction of colors and mirrors the hallways seem to be much higher than they are.

I did not stay in this hotel, but I would have liked it more than the W-Hotel. It does not look so trendy and cool but is also very modern. The rooms do not only offer the possibility to connect your computer with Internet but also has comuters on every room.

• Related to: Business Travel, Luxury Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written July 18, 2009

Lobby

• shevyshick profile photo shevyshick
  • Reviews: 3

MAN HING LUNG HOTEL: Best Experience

I stayed at this hotel on Oct'08. It is recommended by my frens who had stayed at this hotel before. It is a budget hotel. But, the room is clean, the hotel owner is friendly and the important is this hotel is the cheaper than the rest of hostels. Beside that, the location of this hotel is good where it is located at Tsim Sha Tsui. Walk to Tsim Sha Tsui MRT is just 5min.

We 4 persons share a room with HKD400/nite. I think this is the most cheaper hostel we find in HK Tsim Sha Tsui area.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Trains
  • Written June 15, 2009

• Pinat profile photo Pinat
  • Reviews: 296

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel: Loved the Room Service:)

I was lucky enough to stay in one of the best hotels of Hong Kong I believe for three nights. As it was a business trip, all my expenses were paid by the company and I just had the luxury of enjoying myself.

During day time, we had the conference in the convention center, which was a very nice place for such crowded meetings. In the evening, we enjoyed the dinner in the nice restaurant. For someone like me (who doesn't like Asian food), the restaurant has a great variety of alternatives.

I loved the room service: One day the friendly lady would bring a piece of cake, the other day a little Chinese toy, the other day a CD of Chinese music. I'd never come across such a service in the other 5-star hotels I'd stayed at in Europe.

• Related to: Beaches, Food and Dining, Luxury Travel
  • Written May 30, 2009

The View from the Room I'd Stayed

• Penelope4 profile photo Penelope4
  • Reviews: 461

The Salisbury YMCA of Hong Kong: One of the best located hotel in Hong Kong

My sister, her 8-year old daughter and I had a fabulous time at The Salisbury YMCA of Hong Kong. I booked a suite with the view of the harbor. The room is very spacious and it has a bath tub and two flat screen TVs. The sofa can be converted into a bed and although we did not need it, it was great to know that it was there should we wish to use it! The elevators were working all the time, the entire hotel was clean and housekeeping was very efficient. They change the sheets every 3 days. Toiletries including toothbrush are provided on a daily basis. What we liked most about this hotel is its great location! We have watched the symphony of lights from our room and our hotel is just a few steps away from the metro station and from the pier. The restaurant offers a wide selection of foods and drinks. There are some supervisors to observe the needs of the customers and their safety as well. I would recommend this hotel to friends and relatives!

The Salisbury YMCA of Hong Kong is well-liked by locals. It has many facilities (gym, swimming pool, jacuzzi, meeting rooms) and a Kindergarten. Members enjoy attending exercise classes. Towels and slippers are provided as well as lockers should one wish to take a dip or go to the gym. The meeting or conference rooms are always booked. It has a hair salon. Coupons are given upon arrival to avail of discounts at the restaurant and at the hair salon. The hotel has some rooms which offer great views!

• Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written April 27, 2009

• John6868 profile photo John6868
  • Reviews: 46

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Beds at less than US$10 a night

Although it is several years since I stayed in a Backpackers Hostel Hong Kong still has plenty of cheap places to sleep.
Check out the link below for beds from US$9 to US$40+ per night

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written February 13, 2009

• John6868 profile photo John6868
  • Reviews: 46

Latest Hotel Prices

For latest hotel prices check:-

Prices vary widely depending on many factors, weekend are more expensive and prices can double during the peak Fair period (late September to mid October).
Prices start at HK$350 and go up to HK$3,500 per night.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written February 3, 2009

• hopang profile photo hopang
  • Reviews: 1392

Regal Riverside: A modern 4 star hotel

Hotel Regal Riverside is located along the banks of Shing Mun River in Shatin, New Territories. This is a four star 14 storey hotel with approximately 850 well-furnished rooms. It has several bars and lounges complete with five international restaurants serving Japanese, Cantonese, Chinese and Italian cuisines.

Among its modern up to date facilities are conference and meeting rooms, health centre with gym, internet access, car rental and airport transfer.

It is conveniently located along the banks of Shing Mun River, very near to New Town Plaza, Che Kung Temple and Shatin Race Course. Hong Kong Disneyland is only half an hour drive from the hotel.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written January 20, 2009

Hotel lobby

• iclee profile photo iclee
  • Reviews: 194

Traveler's Lounge: Wanted: Nap Lounge in HK Intl airport

Got stuck in a flight to Hong Kong that is close to midnight while my HKG - LAX flight leaves HKG at 8am the following morning via another carrier. Debating whether I check into HKG proper hotels or just take advantage of HKG's lounge inside the International airport.

Plaza Shower and Relaxation Lounge inside HK International airport (Chep Lak Kok) is a convenient but not cheap alternative to hotels say in the Tsim Sha Tsui area. HK$450 for Shower and nap for 3 hour.

I took the Lounge although hotels in the city are cheaper because if you include a round trip airport to hotel transfers, it will come out the same cost. Plus, I do not want to be bothered by traffic worries and snacks. The Lounge took care of that.

They were nice enough to lend me a travel adapter for my laptop while I charged it. Refreshments like apple juice, hot tea/coffee and danish were available early morning after I landed. The nice old lady who replenished the buffet area spoke little English but understood all my requirements. The area was large enough to have your own private space and not be bothered by the person beside you. Wifi connection was a cinch. I read that they provide massages in other packages but that's not the one I paid for.

After that, I checked into the Shower and Relaxation Lounge upstairs. It was easy to locate using the elevator near the Plaza Premier Lounge. They have a holding area for your large suitcases since you can only bring in cosmetic pouches type inside your sleeping quarter. The fee I paid allowed me to use the granite showers once but the reception attendant was nice enough to allow 2x for me. I showered b4 zzz and after waking up. They have lots of glossy mags to leaf through b4 you zzz. I was escorted to my quarters which included a table with a lamp on top, single bed with steel pole railing, a panic button, coat wall hanger, cotton beddings and curtains that separate me from the walkway. if someone snores big time in the quarters near you then you'll definitely hear it.

Recommend it if you fit my situation. Otherwise, I'll head over to Tsim Sha Tsui for more fun.

Location: Nearest your landing gate if you're nursing a longer than usual connecting time to your next flight but not long enough for a full stopover.

Buffet area of Lounge: Hot noodles, yogurt, fresh seasonal fruit, tea, coffee, cold fruit drinks, etc.

Large comfy leather sofas. Big enough for you to catch a catnap.

Reception area: Very helpful staff

Promos: Credit card partners

Glass paned panels give a great view of planes moving about.

• Related to: Singles