Hong Kong Hotels

Our Members Say

YMCA Salisbury: YMCA Salisbury

This place is GREAT. They said 4-star, but I will give them 5-star. Good service, very clean room, comfortable bed and pillows, and most of all, great location. 5 mins walk to MTR, Star Ferry. Shopping, restaurants and supermarket just cross the road. I stayed in the seaview room, overviewing the Victoria Harbour and Cultural Centers. It was October 1st and we were right in front of the fireworks, fantastic!

• Written January 11, 2005

• Pinat profile photo Pinat
  • Reviews: 296

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel: Loved the Room Service:)

I was lucky enough to stay in one of the best hotels of Hong Kong I believe for three nights. As it was a business trip, all my expenses were paid by the company and I just had the luxury of enjoying myself.

During day time, we had the conference in the convention center, which was a very nice place for such crowded meetings. In the evening, we enjoyed the dinner in the nice restaurant. For someone like me (who doesn't like Asian food), the restaurant has a great variety of alternatives.

I loved the room service: One day the friendly lady would bring a piece of cake, the other day a little Chinese toy, the other day a CD of Chinese music. I'd never come across such a service in the other 5-star hotels I'd stayed at in Europe.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Beaches, Food and Dining, Luxury Travel
  • Written May 30, 2009

The View from the Room I'd Stayed

• xuessium profile photo xuessium
  • Reviews: 1418

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Majestic Hotel: Peace & Quieter @ Jordan 2: Majestic Hotel

Rather a dull hotel; very popular with folks from my country - so much so - I feel like I have never left home (UGH!) The insipid exterior screamed boring. The interior is dim though the rooms were clean. There is smell of mustiness and smoke lingering in the corridors (though my floor was non-smoking). Said something about the ventilation. The location wasn't too bad though as it's within walking distance to Jordan MTR station and there is a row of cafes and delis behind the hotel to satisfy that sudden craving for local food.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel, Family Travel
  • Written May 7, 2005

MajesticHotel

• herzog63 profile photo herzog63
  • Reviews: 2254

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Boston Guest House: Economical Rooms = Cheap!!

In 1987 some of the cheap traveler ghettos where located in the Nathan Road area. Chungking Mansions was one of the most notorious of these places. The cheaper rooms were located in the upper floors and getting to them could involve some work!! There are elevators to get you up there but when I was there they didn't always work and when the did they were quite often packed to the extremes!! The Boston Guesthouse was the place that I stayed at and probably the best place that I stayed at in Hong Kong. I don't remember which floor it was on..maybe the 6th) I shared a 4 bed room with 3 other people. My share of the room was HK$36.35 (US$4.67) per night. I stayed here on my first 4 nights before heading to China for a month. The room was clean with a TV showing Chinese Language shows and the Clean Bathroom and toilet were attached to the room. It seemed like a Great deal to me! I'd be interested in know if the prices are still the same....The photo is not of Chunking Mansions...I never took a photo of it. A word of warning about the Chungking Mansions is that there are plenty of hustlers and scammers hanging around outside. There will be guys that have 10 "Rolex" Watches on one arm to sell for $20 - "price negotiable"! haha And other ways to suck the money out of you! So if you don't like dealing with hustlers you won't want to stay at the Chungking Mansions or even visit the area!

Poor lighting in the elevators! Great views of the alley! Long walk up the stairs when the elevators didn't work! But also there is some great food to be had in the Chung King Mansions.....I had some great Indian Food...I've forgotten which tower and floor though.

• Related to: Backpacking, Trains, Budget Travel
  • Written October 21, 2003

Hong Kong

• herzog63 profile photo herzog63
  • Reviews: 2254

Friendly Traveler and Golden Crown: Tiny Cubicles

When I returned from my one month in China I wasn't sure what I was going to do so I decided to stay in Hong Kong until I made my decision. I checked into the Friendly Traveler Guest House in Chung King Mansions for HK$35 US$4.51 per night....I only stayed for one night as I was walking the halls of Chungking Mansion I saw a small sign advertising The Golden Crown Guest house that was only HK$30 (US$3.87) per night so I moved in for 7 nights! It has to be one of the smallest rooms that I've ever stayed in!! The door couldn't even open up all the way because it hit the bed. And to get my back through the door was a tight squeeze. I had to sit my backpack on the bed until I closed the door then sit the backpack down on the floor between the door and the bed as there wasn't room along the side of the bed and the wall to fit my backpack...if there had been a fire I would have been trapped for sure as my door was jammed shut by my backpack!!!

Pretty dang close to the worlds smallest hotel room!!!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Trains, Backpacking
  • Written October 21, 2003

Star Ferry

Kowloon Hotel: Kowloon Hotel

This hotel has the smallest room I've ever seen, I mean in 4/5 star standard. It's just little bigger than rooms in Chung King Mansion. My friend worked in Singapore Airline, and this is their official hotel in Hong Kong. So I visited him few times there, whenever he visited Hong Kong. But didn't stay over so don't know how's the bed & service like. The good thing is that every room has broadband internet access, FREE OF CHARGE. And good location too.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written January 11, 2005

• swissfondue profile photo swissfondue
  • Reviews: 202

Where to stay - Kowloon or Hong Kong Island?

Many people ask this question and I think its really a matter of personal choice. I always stay in Kowloon (Mongkok) as I find it has the most vibrant local areas in Hong Kong but most districts are central enough to make sightseeing and shopping easy to indulge in and the extremely efficient MTR system is an effective way to get to most parts of Hong Kong. Many people choose hotels that are in close proximity to MTR stations for this reason. If you are wanting to enjoy the best harbour and skyline views then I would choose a hotel looking towards Hong Kong Island from the Kowloon side.

Many hotels have specials during the year so once you decide when you want to be in Hong Kong I would recommend reserving a hotel room as early as possible. This is especially important during the Chinese New Year period when accommodation is highly sought after and of course as a result of this, prices are inflated. October is also a busy period as Hong Kong hosts numerous trade fairs.

If you are looking for a luxury hotel experience on Hong Kong Island then head to Central as there is a large concentration of 5 star brand hotels around the business and financial centre of Hong Kong. The Four Seasons and Mandarin Oriental are two of the best reviewed along with the Island Shangrila.

The Peninsula and Langham hotels in Tsim Sha Tsui, the Kowloon Shangri-La beside the Harbour, Langham Place in Mongkok and the newish Ritz Carlton in the ICC building (although it is a little hard to get to without using a taxi) would be the best known brand hotels in Kowloon. The Intercontinental on the Avenue of Stars is, in my opinion, the best located hotel for Hong Kong skyline views and its lobby lounge is a great place to watch the nightly laser show. (8.00pm - 8.15pm).

At the other end of the scale is the wonderful YMCA in Salisbury Road TST which has probably one of the most sought after locations in Hong Kong and is extremely well reviewed and well priced and caters for families.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written January 14, 2013

Looking towards Hong Kong Island from Mongkok

• geeyook profile photo geeyook
  • Reviews: 256

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Salisbury YMCA Hotel: Great Place to Stay in Hong Kong

3 Star Hotel. Modern, inexpensive, comfortable and centrally located. Located in Tsim Sha Tsui next to Peninsula Hotel and steps away from Nathan Road, MTR and Star Ferry. Many rooms have harbor views.
For those on a budget, dormatory type rooms are available.

Sports facilities, Pool, Harbor View Rooms Available, Suites Available, Family Friendly, Restaurant and Cafe

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written April 6, 2004

Salisbury YMCA Lobby

• June.b profile photo June.b
  • Reviews: 1360

Chungking Mansion: Backpackers Option 3 - A great experience!

Looks to me like a tenement facade with old airconditioners poking out of the windows.

Very famous among backpackers, Chungking Mansion is home to several backpackers hostels... and ...... huge mice.... rats that you might mistake for cats and expect to be regularly visited by nightcrawlers (roaches). With all these viscious creatures, still this place is a magnet among backpackers and people on a real shoestring budget.... and those who would want to have that Chungking-Experience!

The building block is a world in itself, all you'll ever need is there - food - halal or kosher, indian, asian or arabic cuisine, internet, laundry, massage & beauty parlor, and all kinds of shops.

If you want to have that one-of-a-lifetime real-life-other-side-of- HK kind of experience? Get that Chungking Challenge! It's is a real treat.

It's worth trying at least once... you may want a second visit... you'll never know?

Try one of these links for list of some hostels at Chungking:

Dragon Inn
Book Hostel

An Experience of a lifetime! Go for it!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Arts and Culture
  • Written November 21, 2005

Facade of Chungking

• Jim_Eliason profile photo Jim_Eliason
  • Reviews: 4668

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

New World Renaissance

Very nice hotel in great location. It is right on the Kowloon Harbor Promenade. Its location is part of the New World Shopping Mall which also means easy access to a grocery store and ATMs. However despite the location and name do not expect a harbor view. It is blocked by the New World Apartments.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average

• Wharney US$ 67.00 for 2 Persons

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written April 8, 2003

National Guest House: National Guest House

HK$200 Single Room, HK$220 Double Room, $350 Three Persons Family Room, HK$440 4 Persons Family Room, HK$490 Hotel Room. Central location, good for party animals in Wan Chai or Central (Lan Kwai Fong) area.

• Written October 20, 2006

• picek profile photo picek
  • Reviews: 926

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mirador Mansion: another place for budget stays

If Chungking is more famous, more multicultural and crowded, then Mirador is more quiet, more private and somehow more Chinese/Cantonese of a place. And it's is still only a few steps from Chungking and Kowloon Mosque, so yes, you are in the centre of activity!

It is another tall block building here with large open kare in the middle (hmmm... if you want, call this atrium or square) and the views from top to ground are stunning, see those many windows and balconies and air con machines and pipes... but hey, this isn't 5 star hotel and you get what you pay for. I found it as well slightly more friendly than Chngking and slightly less claustophobic, maybe because there's more 'air' between different wings of the building.

It also doesn't have that much guesthouses and shops here and sometimes your guesthouse will be next to family flat and you can actually see here how is the life in Hong Kong, the life of a 'normal' people.
We stayed here on our second visit and actually we just followed a landlady from the street in front of the mansion and lived in her flat/guesthouse... we got our own room with bathroom and had a nice view (see the photo at my front HK site) on the side street down there in front of Holidays inn... and you could watch things going on in the ground floor then, but in matter of fact we didn't really spend much time in the room because we had plenty of things to check out around HK still. Yet, those were really much better views than in Chungking where we saw only to our neigboors rooms in next block, pretty close.
It is okay to take a look into different rooms and if you stay longer you may as well ask for a 'discount'.
Basically rooms are a bit cheaper here and better quality than Chungking mansions (i believe you'll be reading this if you're on low budget), and it is in general safer feel because you can view the public balconies with your eyes and it's not like being in a labyrinth with too many dead ends.

The ground floor is as well full of shops here.

I'll update with photo...

Great choice for budget accomodation if you feel like living like local. Many rooms to choose from with views.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written January 5, 2010

kare... lights lit

• p_yenyen profile photo p_yenyen
  • Reviews: 36

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Joy Guesthouse: Cheapest in HK!!

It took me 7 minutes to walk from the MTR station to that building. It is inside an old residential building. The lift brings you to the 11th floor and then you need to take 10 steps to the 12th floor. There is no sign for the guesthouse. It's one of the flats on the 12th floor. The flat is divided into 4 rooms. The one I saw has its own shower room, a double bed, TV and kettle. It's basic but clean. There is no receptionist or lobby. You need to book in advance so that someone will wait for you to pass you the key.

If you look for cheap but clean place and you don't mind living in a very local neighbourhoold, then it's ok. If you look for something modern or touristy, then you may find the guesthouse a bit basic.

The district where the guesthouse is situate is an old residential area with local Chinese and some SE Asians and Middle East people. There is the vegetable market nearby. This district is famous for the computer centre, fashion wholesale shops and second hand flea market. It's very local and unlike Causeway Bay or Tsimshatsui where there are a lot of tourists.

• Written May 7, 2006

• DirtyRudy profile photo DirtyRudy
  • Reviews: 130

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Miramar: Nothin', chillin' at the Hotel Miramar...

Located on Nathan Road, the 3-star Hotel Miramar is a minute walk north of the Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station. It is right next to Kowloon Park and right across the street from Park Lane Shopper's Boulevard -- definitely in the middle of all the action!

Local calls cost 5 HKD/call while international calls to the US costs 46 HKD. It was equipped with internet access but it was kind of expensive at 40 HKD/hr. The business center on the 10F charges 50 HKD/15min!!

Small rooms, but very clean. You can hear people walking outside in the hallway, and I'm sure they can hear you. But there was a small refigerator stocked with drinks, and the showers had a steady stream of hot water.

Our view was a fake window with lights installed in the back to give the appearance of daylight! Well, at least there was an indoor pool that didn't seem so bad.

• Related to: Business Travel, Budget Travel