5 Connaught Rd , Central, Hong Kong, China

Costs 85% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• travelswithsteve's Profile Photo

The "Original" Mandarin

I am two people really.
    Either businessman or traveller.
    So, if your on business or the budget's not tight - Try staying here.
    The HK hotel, here since early 1960's, was their original flagship, and the first to be known as the Mandarin Oriental - I am a huge fan and stayed here on my first visit to Hong Kong.
    Not the most stylish building from the outside, but then your not staying outside.

If your looking for location, superb service, great food and attentive staff - Look no further.

Unique Quality: Whatever you want - Whenever you want it.

Directions: Overlooking Victoria harbour

• Minstrelette's Profile Photo

Superb service

I've stayed here twice for work and had the same experience both times. The service is amazing. Example: I had breakfast 1 time in June. I came back a few weeks later, and the server remembered where I sat and what I ordered and how I liked my eggs. The rooms are beautiful, with dark wood and a comfortable bed. And they're extremely quiet. I had to go out on my balcony to make sure people were still around. They were. It was very loud outside in the Central district, but inside the room, I couldn't hear a thing. The Mandarin is supposed to have amazing restaurants, but I can only tell you about the breakfast (I was working too much to eat at the hotel)- breakfast was wonderful- I particularly recommend the mango juice. I can also tell you the Captain's Bar was very loud and crowded but has excellent service and delicious cocktails. The location is very convenient- not far from the train station and the Star Ferry.

Unique Quality: amazing service

• paradisedreamer's Profile Photo

5 * Luxury

I stayed here when I accompanied my father on a business trip when I was only 14.
    The Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong is situated in Central, in the middle of the city's bustling business centre. It is only two minutes walk from the Star Ferry and the Mass Transit underground railway which connect Hong Kong Island with Kowloon. The hotel has a shopping centre at the bottom and is connected by walkways to other shopping centres.

Directions: Nr Star Ferry

• syllybabe's Profile Photo

Best Location

Perfectly located near the star ferry terminal and an easy walk to Lan Kwai Fong. The view from my window was of the harbor and the skyline.

Unique Quality: Nice lobby and good restaurants and bars

• D._Pepper's Profile Photo

Mandarin Oriental

Depending on the season, you'ld be able to get a standard room with breakfast buffet for US$80 to US$150.

Unique Quality: Great service, luxurious amenities, good restaurants. And a good view of the Harbour - if you specify a harbour-view room. A bit more expensive than one without a view. Very good location. A few meters away from the MTR station (Central), a very short walk to the bus terminal, and another short walk to the Star Ferry terminal.

• cincin's Profile Photo

Mandarin Oriental Hotel

HKD$2500

Unique Quality: Luxurious hotel overlooking Victoria harbour. Classic interior. The rooms are cozy. Great location for high-street shopping.

More about Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong

More adventure than Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Steve from Bristol

As I sit here overlooking Statue Square and Victoria harbour I can only wonder why this amazing hotel has such a lowly rating on the normally reliable Tripadvisor site.

I have been staying here for 15 years so was a wary 'fan' on my return this week for my first visit since the refurbishment.

Service is as good as ever. the rooms are better than before with great modern features and faultless management. This hotel has retained its soul, unlike the rather formulaic Four Seasons which is pretty good but not clasically great.

We have been upgraded to a corner suite. This is truly amazing with the bathroom overlooking the main harbour - weird but brilliant.

The hotel's PR claims the Mandarin is more home than hotel. They are right.

Key points.
It is reasurringly expensive.
Food is outstanding
Service is second to none

Look out for a PS at the end of the week once we have a chance to revisit some or the restaurants and facilities

Comments