Peninsula Hotel Hong Kong

Tags

School Holidays Spa and Resort Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
See Amenities
swissfondue's Profile Photo

The Jewel in the Colonial Crown.

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 10, 2012

The luxurious Peninsula Hotel at the harbour end of Tsim Sha Tsui is Hong Kong's oldest hotel and a tourist attraction in its own right. Each time I walk past on my way to the Star Ferry Terminal I stop, admire the facade and sigh.

I havent personally stayed at the Peninsula as I prefer the bustling area of Mongkok. I have however had afternoon tea in the Lobby along with many other people. Overall a pleasant experience, though if you were staying at the hotel I think you would become frustrated by the noise, activity and sheer volume of people congregating in the Lobby all afternoon.The architecture of the Lobby is quite stunning with neo-classical columns and lots of gold influences. You do have plenty of time to admire this as high tea reservations are not taken and the waiting time (only 20 minutes on the day I was there) can be up to 2 hours.

I enjoyed my finger sandwiches, sweet french pastries and scones while listening to a string quartet. Everything was nicely presented and the service was what you expect from such an iconic establishment. I must say that although it was as busy, it was not quite as blatantly touristy as a similar high tea experience at London's Ritz hotel.

Hong Kong is a "money" city and this is abundantly evident at the Peninsula Hotel. In an ever evolving cosmopolitan city, the Peninsula is one of the few places that tries to uphold the traditions of Hong Kong's colonial past. High tea is served daily in the Lobby between 2pm and 6pm. Cost is approx HK$400 per couple. As mentioned queueing is inevitable so be prepared for this.

Unique Quality: The Peninsula has an uber posh bar called Felix. If you would like to rub shoulders with the rich and even more rich, call in for a drink, some serious people watching and absolutely fabulous views over Victoria Harbour.

Valuables go missing!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 13, 2011

Bad experience at Peninsula...

The following incident happened to my sister and her children yesterday.

My nephew left his new iPad in the hotel room, as my sister didn't want him to play with it during his meal. So, he left it on the desk and went out for lunch. When they returned to the hotel room after lunch the iPad was missing. My sister reported the missing iPad to the hotel staff and instead of advising my sister to report to the police, they requested to search the room and all my sister's belongings. She is a trusting person and therefore, she let them search her belongings, even her laundry bag. They didn't find anything and left saying that they will investigate the matter. They did not respond until my sister asked them again later in the evening. The staff were not helpful at all, and instead, my sister was treated as though it was a scam to claim insurance. We are offended by this incident. This is what you call a five start hotel!

We are truly disappointed that when you really need the service in more important circumstances that they have not been of true help, and in fact, have treated my sister inappropriately!

We have reported this incident to the police and it is under investigation.

Just some background info. Our family have been using Peninsula service for several years and have always been happy with their services until yesterday. We will not be returning to this so called "five star" hotel again.

The lesson learnt from this story is, no matter how many stars a hotel is rated and how good a reputation they have, do not lose guard.

Always lock away your belongings or take them with you! And if you lose anything in a hotel room, don't touch anything to contaminate the scene. Report to the police immediately. Don't let the hotel staff search your belongings. Only the police have the right to.

nepalgoods's Profile Photo

Old Traditions

by written on July 18, 2009

I did not stay. But a visit to the famous Peninsula is a must in Kowloon! It was opened in 1928. And the Afternoon Tea is famous and a must! Many celebrities have stayed here: for example Elisabeth Taylor and Lady Diana.

The hall and shopping mall have the atmosphere of luxury and tradition. Just to walk around and have a look on all the splendor is great fun!

Unique Quality: The hotel owns 14 Rolls Royce, which can be booked for transfer and sightseeing.

Directions: Just a few steps away from the clocktower and star ferry.

An elegant oasis

by written on September 7, 2007

I stayed at the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong in April 2007 for 3 nights and loved it. My suite was beautiful, the service was wonderful (they even handled my dinner reservations for restaurants outside the hotel and faxed confirmations to my room!) and they have a fabulous restaurant on the premises that I really recommend: FELIX, the food was wonderful and the decor and ambiance very chic.

Unique Quality: Location, decor, service...CLASS.

meccostaud's Profile Photo

Ultimate Luxury Hotel in Asia

by written on December 27, 2005

Sure one of the most memorable hotel stays of my life, the Peninsula was astounding. Beautiful, elegant, impeccable service and facilities. Even if you don't stay here, I highly recommend taking high tea in their elegant lobby.

Unique Quality: The salon and spa were outstanding, with first-rate services. The gym facilities were spotless and wanted for nothing. The indoor pool is designed like a Roman bath with marble columns and beautiful tiles. There is a breathtaking view of Hong Kong harbor from the pool. The staff greets you with towels and a cool drink when you arrive.

The restaurants at the hotel are the best in Hong Kong.

Your Vacation has a Dress Code

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 28, 2005

I'm a big fan of the Peninsula as it never disappoints in terms of customer service. Great food through room service is a god-send when you're too tired to drag yourself out to yet another restaurant. Do note that they do have a dress code which ultimately means that you don't get to hang out in the lobby and most of their restaurants with your shorts and flip flops even if you are on vacation.

Unique Quality: Quiet large rooms, fax/secretarial services, fresh fruit daily, friendly staff.

bmw10111's Profile Photo

One of the finest hotels in the World.

by written on December 29, 2004

For many years I have seen the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok grab top honors as the worlds best hotel. While the Oriental is indeed a great hotel, having stayed at both hotels, I think that the Peninsula in Hong Kong offersa far better overall experience.

While my family has been staying at the "Pen" for over thirty-five years, the hotel was actually built in the late twenties. The building, its public rooms and restaurants are a sight to see even if you can't afford to be a hotel guest. The lobby is itself a tourist attraction. Daily, ladies and gentlemen from around the world gather for tea, and to people watch. With huge pillars, black and white tux clad waiters, and gold gilded ceilings, this room is very impressive by anyone’s standards. One of the main reasons I prefer the Peninsula over the Oriental is you can feel the history of this hotel, and the feeling of the city of Hong Kong around you. For me when I am at the Oriental I smell the Chao Phya River, when I land in Hong Kong I smell money.

There are two major wings of the hotel. The old main building and the thirty-two-story tower, completed in 1994. The old building has lost much of its view, but for me I still prefer it. Btw: That's also where James Bond stayed. The views from the upper floors of Victoria Harbor are breathtaking.

I am not sure what the employee to guest ratio is, but I can say that I rarely waited for anything. In the old days, the bellmen wore their master keys around their necks like a small hula-hoop. Now things have been updated, but the service remains the same, impeccable.

Unique Quality: Now, about the rooms, I am a techno geek, and have stayed at literally hundreds of the world's finest hotels. I have never stayed in a better-equipped room. We stayed in a "Deluxe Suite" it was around 1,400 sq. ft. With a formal dining room, and 1 1/2 baths. The bedroom is equipped with a little black box on each side of the bed. I looked in vain to discover who made it; because I need it in my life. I believe it to be custom made for the hotel. This one-box controls, all lights, temperature, television, dnd button, radio, and more. If you wanted to (which we sometimes do) you would never have to get out of bed. The bathrooms are equipped with Televisions and hands free phones. I think our suite had a total of three phones in the bathroom.

The Hotel has a great spa, and on the 8th floor, an awesome pool that juts up against the window for amazing views of the city. Again the spa is great but the prices are as well.

For airport transfer the Hotel can arrange (read extra cost) to pick you up in one of the hotel's fleet of Rolls Royce automobiles.

Each suite or floor has a butler. One of the things we liked was what we called the "magic box" This is a way for the butler to get your shoes for cleaning, leave small packages, or drop off your daily newspaper without disturbing you.

The room service is prompt and delicious, but very expensive. Candidly, the whole hotel is very expensive. We had a great dinner; with a moderate bottle of Red wine at Gaddi's and it set me back $350 with service. There are about eight very good restaurants here. Many people consider them to be some of the best that Hong Kong has to offer. I like the Pool-side Terrace, with its teak chaise lounge chairs, and relaxing oasis, surrounded by one of the most densely populated cites in the world.

Overall The Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong, and the George V in Paris are my favorite city hotels. They are wonderful, but each traveler will have to decide if this luxury is worth the price.

Directions: Next to Star Ferry Kowloon Side

coolpanda87's Profile Photo

The Peninsula Hotel

by written on January 23, 2004

Known as one of Hong Kong's most afffluent hotels, the Peninsula has one of the best views of Hong Kong. Inside are beautifully decorated rooms, & the service is excellent.

Unique Quality: I would also recommend going to the Peninsula for high tea, for the experience itself is worth it. The elegance & peace could temporary shelter you from the busy streets outside.

Directions: Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon

• Suites
  • Airport Transportation
  • Bar / Lounge

Hong Kong Travel Forum

Need advice about Hong Kong? Visit the Travel Forum for Hong Kong and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Hong Kong hotel reviews

Hotel Jen Hong Kong
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 5 Reviews
B P International
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 15 Reviews
Ibis Century Hotel (Hongkong North Point)
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 8 Reviews

Explore Deeper into Hong Kong
Central District
Aberdeen
Things to Do
Hong Kong Park (Admiralty)
Electronics