Sky Dragon House

7/F, Kam Ling Building, 231 Nathan Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong, Hong Kong Region, China

More about Hong Kong

the floating restaurantthe floating restaurant

Skyline of Hong Kong Island at night - light showSkyline of Hong Kong Island at night - light show

Ngong Ping Cable CarNgong Ping Cable Car

side street to SOHOside street to SOHO

Summer in Hong Kong?

by kwipex

Hi, I'll be visiting Hong Kong this June. Would like to ask if the summer in HongKong is really unbearable due to the humidity and constant rains and heat. I suppose I need to hide inside the shopping malls during the day? as my main activity during my trip would be just shopping and eating. Any advice would be appreciated!

by shailenderkumar

If you are visiting there at start of the month then you can enjoy you shopping as well but if you are there at end of the month then you won't be able to do anything except sitting on your room.

by JohntheFinn

With an itinerary like yours there should be no problem. I've never found the heat in HK unbearable and I'm from a cold climate. Get yourself an umbrella and you'll be fine.

by kwipex

Thanks Shailender and John...Much appreciated!

by swissfondue

No problem with shopping malls as they are all air-conditioned and many are linked to MTR stations so no need to go outside.

I havent been to HK in June but found September to be rather humid. I find Hong Kong to be a fabulous place for shopping. Summer sales start at the end of June and go through to August.

I've been to many of the major shopping malls in Hong Kong so if you need any information please feel free to ask.

by xymmot

It's humid, but not unbearable. If you are just going out to shop and eat,,, no problem...most places are air condition. Many other tourist survive, I think you can also. Cheers Tommy x

by IreneMcKay

I would not say it is unbearable. It tends to be hot but as so many places are fiercly air-coned you can escape the heat easily. As for the rain, it is a matter of luck. It rains very heavily in summer but not all the time. You should be able to go to beaches and do some swimming in summer. As for shopping and eating that is available everywhere in Hong Kong all year round. For shopping try Causeway Bay or Tsim Sha Tsui. Visit open air markets in Stanley, Mong Kok for ladies market, bird market, flower market, gold fish market. Try Temple Street Night Market.

Hong Kong is very international re food. Of course there is Chinese and HK is famous for dim sum, but there are also excellent Thai, Indonesian, Indian, Japanese, Western and more. Have a good trip.

by neverstoptravel

I've been to HK serveral times, as other VTer said, it's humid in June but not so horrible.

Enjoy your trip in HK! I like the food!

by kwipex

Thanks to all you guys who replied - neverstoptravel, IreneMcKay, xymmot, swissfondue. very much appreciated.

by xymmot

Isn't it all the same anyway, the world is going global. That is why I do not go shopping when I travel. What ever is there , you will be able to buy it at home.

by chinamonty

I loved the heat and humidity in Hong Kong. What i didn't like was the air conditioning. they had them set so low and thus working so hard you nearly had to wear a jumper when you went inside some of the shopping centres. Rain is pot luck. When it rains in June it can be quite heavy but usually doesn't last all that long.

by xymmot

Do what people in Las Vagas do, stay in and gamble during the day and go out into town at night when the weather is cooler, In your case, you can just hit the malls where it is air cond, and taxi door to door to keep cool.

cheers tommi x

Travel Tips for Hong Kong

Exchanging money

by Willettsworld

I stayed in the Causeway Bay area and there are loads of money changers in the area but you have to pick the right one that has the best rate as they vary wildly. Some of the best exchange rates I found are on Yee Wo Street.

Get Your Money's Worth

by sahel578

When you arrive in Hong Kong, do not be tempted to exchange your money at the airport.. the exchange rate is terrible and the fee is outrageous!
If at all possible, get American Express travelers checks before you leave home and exchange them at a bank. This will get you the very best exchange rate, even better than USD. I believe that English Sterling and Euro's trade higher than USD, but I don't know anything about how they work.
Before you leave home, if you have a bank debit card with a Visa or Mastercard logo, call your bank and tell them that you will be abroad and to allow charges from overseas. Using your debit card will also guarentee the best exchange rate for your purchases. A regular credit card company tends to charge a small % for each purchase and does not always give a favorable exchange rate.

Food, glory the Cantonese food!

by TSC

The real Cantonese food that you cannot find in the West. Dining in restaurant is one of the popular things the locals often do. During lunch time on Sundays, all the big restaurants are packed with families!

wow...I lurve Hong Kong! I've...

by red_deviL

wow...I lurve Hong Kong! I've been there twice and both times I absolutely enjoyed myself! The wheather was perfect in December and I remember getting up to The Peak at 10pm at night..it was freezing and the wind was about to take my head off, it was that strong! I felt like I was on top of the world. And looking down at all the lights and knowing that the city was alive even from this distance...it was breathtaking...I could even see the race track down below which had a full house that night and I could hear the announcer calling out the horses' names as the raced to the finish line...it was enchanting. Just don't forget to take a jacket up there with you. Man, it can gets real cold! I miss the December wheather of course. Other than that...I suppose the look of the place, the old buildings, dirty streets standing amidst the newer and more architecturally defined commercial buildings...it gives Hong Kong character unlike Singapore where a lot of the old is lost. Plus with the buildings overlooking the harbour...man, I love those chugger boat rides ;))

If In Hong-Kong Visit Macau

by listenandlearn

From Hong-Kong we took the speed boat to Macau which only took approx. 45 mins. costing about U.S.$30.00 per adult. Macau is flooded with elegant casinos, hotels and all kinds of ways trying your good luck. It is a place with non-stop 24-7 excitement.I think there are about a dozen of those nice casinos, if I don't count short. You will be amazed to that there is these floating casino moored on the western waterfront, it's just fantastic & best that your eyes can see for yourself.If you have been or seen Las Vegas, & even in the movies, Las Vegas has blackjac, bloule the roulette the craps & exotic gambling games, all of these and more Macau has it too. Chinese people loves to gamble & they are just one of those experts in gambling, since Macau is a stone throw away from H.K. then it's all worth the ride to Macau. Since Macau is considered a free -duty free port, then shopping has been designed not only to entertain shoppers but feels like your in America when shopping, only it costs just a little bit more but all worth it.Just browsing is a genium pleasure in Macau's very main street and side street where shops are aimed to tourists. Our best memories are those yummy peking ducks. The Cantonese food is just out of these world, so, delicious and super affordable. Much later we shall be attaching photos of the many yummy foods we had ordered and spices found in Macau.

Comments