Wang Fat Hostel

No.A2, 3/F., Paterson Bldg., 47, Paterson St., Causeway Bay, Hong Kong, Hong Kong Region, China

Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• A Budget Traveler's Find

My boyfriend and I lucked out when we checked into Wang Fat Hostel (www.wangfathostel.com) on Paterson St in Causeway Bay. With a great central location, super clean rooms, friendly staff, tv, air conditioning, and free wireless internet, this is one of the best hostels we stayed at. A double room costs just 280HKD and comes with linen, towels, and a daily cleaning. So if you are looking for cheap, budget accommodation, this is a great choice.

• toni28's Profile Photo

Wang Fat Hostel

We stayed in this Hostel for 3 nights and we booked 3 beds through internet as I read about the rating of this hostel there was a regret if we going to stay or not. But my hubby made a 10 percent deposit by on line.

We easily found the location of the building I checked first our room to make sure if its ok to stay, our room is on the 10floor its quite small but clean and fully renovated there is no private phone and fridge but we chose to stay.

Unique Quality: I like the location it is very accessible to all interesting place in Hong Kong, Located at the prime shopping area causeway bay and just a few minutes walk of any restaurant.

• taymw's Profile Photo

Affordable accomodation

Got to know this hostel through VT. And indeed, it was a fine recommendation! I booked the room through email & the owner, Sam, replied promptly & answer whatever queries I have. We booked a triple room, which consists of 2 single beds & one double bed. But we were only charged at the rate of 3 people. A triple room with private bathroom is HK$480 per night. You can reach Wang Fat Hostel by taking Airbus no. A11 (costs HK$40 per person) which takes you directly to Causeway Bay and a block walk to the hostel.The trip takes roughly 40mins and the stop number is 14 which you can observe on the sign in the bus. This bus may also take you back to the airport when the time arrives to coming every 10-15mins most times.

Unique Quality: Rooms are furnished with a private bathroom, air-conditioning, a 15 channel TV, a home line phone which is personal and can be used for incoming or outgoing calls. (We didn't use it though) Most rooms have their own fridge. If there isn't one in the room, there are community fridges. There's also cooking and laundry facilities and a computer room with ten terminals offering free internet
    access. The owner speaks relatively good English and Japanese. Most rooms will have an internet service provided. Patrons who have laptops and other electronical goods with internet access may use this free of charge. Room service provides daily room clean up, fresh towels and hot water. Smoking and non-smoking rooms can also be requested.

• Hostel with Good Location

I stayed here for 10 nights, so it felt like I lived there! The location is in the Causeway Bay area on Hong Kong Island and is close to shops, MTR, transportation, etc. I would suggest deciding on your itinerary before choosing a place to stay because if you spend more time on the Kowloon side of Hong Kong, then it would save time to be on that side. If you spend more time on Hong Kong Island though, this is not a bad place to stay for its location. Also recommended is to bring proof of your booking, since this seemed to help with my check-in. There are two supermarkets very close by, which is very handy since the hostel doesn't have a kitchen. I had no real problems with my stay, which is just what I wanted!

Unique Quality: I had a private room with bathroom (shower and toilet in a small space), double bed with linen, TV with around 10 channels, hot and cold water jug, air conditioner, storage space and phone. A free internet room with 2 computers is open daily with office hours, and a shared fridge is available. The beds are changed and made up daily and housekeeping keeps things tidy in the room. This hostel is located in a residential building, so there will be other people going on with their daily lives during your stay. A doorman keeps a look out and a security code is required to get in and out of the building. If you came to Hong Kong to shop, you don't need to go far from the hostel!

Directions: North on Paterson Street towards Gloucester Road, after fashion stores

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Wang Fat Hostel at Causeway Bay

The Hostel is very popular with Westerners...earning rave reviews. Unfortunately, the owner suffers from the same "Cantonese Supremo Complex" as the rest of the folks in HK and offended me just 5 minutes of saying "Hello" when he tut-tut me for not being able to speak Cantonese. The hostel occupies 2 floors - the 3rd and the 6th. I believed the 3rd is where all the dorm beds are while the 6th is where all the private rooms are located. I had the private rooms and they are clean and orderly, and comes with a TV, hot water bottle and showers. I prefer the maintenance lady here - she's much more friendlier!!

Unique Quality: For folks wishing to experience an "almost" realistic showcase of high rise living in HK - this is it. I have seen the scenes in countless Hongkie TV serials. The narrow corridors; the dim interiors. I thought to myself that if a fire was to happen, I would have no hopes of escape.

Getting there:
    *A11 City Bus direct from the Airport to Causeway Bay-Stop no.13 (near Sogo Dept.Store).
    Costs HKD40-.
    *Airport Express to Central District then via MTR to Causeway Bay Station (take Exit E -turn left out of station, left at 1st corner)
    Costs HKD100-.
    *Taxi from airport, you can get off the taxi at Paterson St's taxi stand that just located downside of Paterson building.Costs HKD450-.
    *Bus No.102,106,112 from HongHum Station (final station of KCR train from mainland,China), get off the bus at front of Victoria Park or Sogo DepartmentStore. Costs around HKD10-.

• Jeeem's Profile Photo

Cheap, comfortable and convenient

I'd read about the Wang Fat Hostel in Lonely Planet and I'd heard from some friends that the place was pretty decent, so I decided to give it a try.

The first time I went, I got an el-cheapo fan room with shared bath. The second and third times I stayed there, I got a nicer air-con room with private bath and didn't spend all that much more.

Unique Quality: These rooms are simple yet comfortable and Mr. Sam is most accomodating and quite the cool dude. Each floor has different rooms, all accessed by the central elevator which has a closed circuit camera in it.

You can surf the internet free and there are even some loaner books in their little library!

Directions: Uh...well...just get in any taxi and tell them to take you to 47 Paterson in Causeway Bay.

• peemapat's Profile Photo

Live like local.

I found this hostel from website. This place is cheap when compare with hotel.

We found that it is a flat that divided to rent. The room is small, I think the dimension is 2 x 3 metres. There is bathroom, too. The common facilities are provided. Their services are great.

Unique Quality: Very small room.

Directions: MTR Causeway Bay

• cheap clean hostel (air conditioning)

There is an excellent hostel in causeway bay called the Wang Fat hostel. It is really clean and reasonably priced the have dorm and single rooms. The place is in a wierd location though think it's on the 3rd floor of a building. Good shopping area

More about Wang Fat Hostel

by vpbebe

Hi am staying in HK for 4 nites in june with my boyfriend and three friends. we were thinking of the wang fat hostel because it seems to come highly recommended on several sites. has anyone stayed in this hostel or knows any thing of it? we are considered bout the location, cleanliness and security mainly of a place to stay. would any know if this hostel has these qualities? thanking you x

Wang Fat Hostel, Hong Kong

by Confucius

I stayed there recently and can assure you that it's clean and secure. The location is very convenient for transportation via MTR subway, Hong Kong Island tram, and Airport Shuttle Bus A11. There is also a large 24 hour Wellcome Supermarket nearby.
Wang Fat hostel also maintains two computers with free Internet access for guests so that you can check your e-mail.
I highly recommend Wang Fat for you and your friends.

RE: Wang Fat Hostel

by brunohk

choice & cheaper that Wang Fat........

RE: Wang Fat Hostel

by xuessium

HI!:

I have my review of the hostel on my VT HK page.
Location-wise, it's really fantastic.

RE: RE: Wang Fat Hostel