YMCA International House Hong Kong

The Cityview Hong Kong
Hotels.com Expedia.com Agoda.com

Costs 27% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Simple and Clean

The hotel was very nice--simple but not spartan, clean and comfortable.
    The service was good and everyone was very pleasant!
    The neighborhood (TST) is great, very centrally located--next to the peninsula, right by the subway station, 5 minutes away from the ferry to HK Island... wonderful!
    The price was less an average for the area :)
    the internet is not too expensive.
    the buffet is five star, but a bit expensive :)

Unique Quality: Chapel
    Pool
    Coin Laundry
    Low Fee Internet
    Restaurant In House

Directions: TST

• joe1984's Profile Photo

Cosy and Comfort

The location of the hotel is great. Kowloon area, near Portland street and Mong Kok. Though room is rather small but it comfortable and clean. However, there is no heater in the room. Thus when winter comes, the room tends to get rather cold. But the hotel staff actually provides us with few more pieces of blanket to keep us warm.

Unique Quality: there is no swimming pool in the hotel. No breakfast provided in the hotel as well. But it near the hong kong cafes and markets so finding dining places is not difficult.

• newbie320's Profile Photo

Nice and spacious hotel accommodation in Hong Kong

The location was excellent. Just across the Yau Ma Tei MTR station so it is very convenient.

We booked the Tower Room last January for me and my parents. We stayed for 4d/3n and got the 10% discount. The room was spacious compared to the other hotel rooms in HK. The one that we had was at the 14th floor. It has 1 double bed which was perfect for my mom and dad and 1 single bed which was perfect for me.

As for the bathroom compliments, there aren't many. No soaps, no complimentary drinking water either. Better bring your own. There is Wellcome supermarket right across the street so you can buy whatever you need there.

Directions: just across Yau Ma Tei MTR station

• solopes's Profile Photo

Perfect Location

I was apprehensive about this hotel: Three stars… the price of four… good references everywhere, but…

OK! It matched the expectations: the entrance is ugly, the lobby modest, but the room was perfect, as it was the breakfast buffet.

We stayed in the 16th floor (more expensive) and had a panoramic view over the bay.

Excellent location, allowing us to walk in most of our visits in Kowloon side, and with easy access either to ferry or subway to go across the bay.

• BobbyL's Profile Photo

Great Location, Great Price and Helpful Staff

This hotel was referred by our company's travel agency. I checked the reviews on the internet about this hotel. it's true that the location is great, it has good restaurants nearby, a laundy shop just across the street, and a few steps away from the Yau Ma Tei exit of the MTR. Upon arriving Hong Kong International Airport last 1 Feb 2007 (we stayed till 4 Feb 2007), we got the Vigor Airport Express Bus for HK$110 (one-way) will bring you directly to the hotel and also you can use this service when you are flying out of HK. They have a desk in the hotel. Also got the Octopus Card at the airport, since we will be using the MTR often during our stay. It was our first time in Hong Kong and it will be helpful to get to know the hotel, its vicinity, how to get there and how to get around HK from the hotel. This is just 2 or 3 star hotel so don't expect a butler at your own beck and call. Upon arrival at the hotel, the front desk staff were poilte, and accommodationg. We reserved for a standard twin sharing room, and was given an upgrade in the new wing supposedly, until I opted for a smoking room. got also the same upgrade, though we were booked at the other wing at the 10th floor facing a Lutheran Church, and the sunrise which we liked. The room is average in size and has a receiving area, a door leading to the bedroom with 2 beds. It also has 2 toilets, which is favorable so that me and my friend can use simualtaneously. It has also an in-room safe to store your valuables, 2 TV sets with limited channels and an english news programs. Hey, why will we watch TV, we'll move around so no bearing at all. We did not eat at the hotel (although they have restaurants), instead we opted to eat at the restaurants across the street and around the hotel which is cheaper and within our budget. My friend and I liked this hotel, and we will definitely book in this hotel next year when we come back and explore more of Hong Kong.

Unique Quality: Average sized room, with receiving area. Well lighted corridors. Quiet, even if your neighbors' TV is loud, you won't hear anything. Locatiion, a block away from Nathan Road. Restaurants, Foreign Exchange, Laundry, U-right shop, 7/11, and bus stops are accessible. Within the vicinity of the Temple Street Night Market, and Ladies Market. The staff are just as helpful if you ask them how to get to some of the places you want to see. They have ready maps to show you how to get there.

Directions: A few meters near the Yau Ma Tei Entrance/Exit of the MTR

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

HK Other YMCA Accommodation

Do not confuse this "more cost lower" YMCA accommodation with the YMCA Salisbury.

YMCA International House is a multi storey hotel located at the heart of local Hong Kong shopping streets of Yau Ma Tei, Mongkok, Jordan area.

It is about 3 Star. Rooms with basic deluxe amenities and typical "small" as most Hong Kong hotels. It is one block from Nathan Road and so walking distance to bus stations and MRT station.

There is an upper floor at low rate for rooms without attached bathroom but a common bathroom on that floor. Ask for that if you want to save on accommodation.

• pamychan's Profile Photo

YMCA International House

Great value for money hotel. The location is excellent. Right smack in the middle of Nathan Rd but yet not directly on it. Which means less noise and cheaper price for an extra 10 steps of walking! The Yau Ma Tei mtr station is just nearby and there are also buses that stop right outside the hotel. The rooms are spacious and clean. We got a tower room which is supposed to be newer and better. The hotel staff are nice and friendly, especially the guys in charge of the luggage. They were polite and friendly, a pleasant change from all the sour faces I was used to facing in HK hotels. I'll definitely stay here again.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Wonderful Views

What an exceptional value for this hotel. Located in Kowloon, with harbor views of Hong Kong Island, spacious suite with large living area, separate sleeping area and large bathroom, what more can you ask for?

We needed a place to stay for an evening as our flight was arriving late night. We were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a harbor view corner suite. Wow, the views of Hong Kong Island were amazing!

I love to sleep with the shades open when I have a fantastic view, why would you want to hide the view?

• Hong Kong on a Budget

Great location, bargain price.

Get a room with full sweeping harbor views and you'll pay a fraction of the price of the Peninsula next door and have a perfect seat for the light and laser show that illuminates the harbor every night.

You're across from the cultural center and very near shopping districts. But there's not much nightlife on Kowloon so expect to a lenthy cab ride to get over to Hong Kong island to party every night. At least you can feel good about being able to dress like a bum if you want to...unlike the folks at The Pen next door.

But alas, bargain hotels have bargain based downsides. Rooms are small, walls are thin, showers small, the cafe on the ground floor serves inedibles and the mini bar needs to be refilled in the worst way! The hotel's seafood dinner buffet on the terrace can be a saving grace after a long day shopping but that of course depends on how tired you are.

All in all, you get what you pay for. If you decide to go with this bargain, expect a bargain experience.

Unique Quality: Great location, great price.

Directions: Kowloon Harbor

More about YMCA International House Hong Kong

The Salisbury YMCA or Cityview (formely YMCA international

by snuggie

I'm thinking of this 2 hotels during my stay in HK in June.any review,which is better in terms of shopping and travel?

by GrumpyDiver

If you are looking at the "Y", I can't comment on either of those two, but we stayed at the YWCA Anne Black guest house, in Mongkok, which was convenient to the night market. It worked out well for us - not fancy, but safe, clean and the price was right.

by yvr

I stayed at the Cityview and found it, nice, convenient, and comfortable. My breakfast was also included in the rate, there was a subway stop a block away, and using this hotel as my base for travelling elsewhere was excellent.

by bellachina65

I was just in HK in March, and stayed in the YMCA Salisbury dorms.
I know there's new renovations going on at this hotel, but everyone and I swear by this place over any other hostel.

Of course their regular room rates is not that cheap compared to other hotels, but I don't know if affordability is in the cards for you.

If it is, and if you're staying a long time, I also recommend YesInn on the HK Island site. Ok the reception area is not great, but gezz the rooms are great with all included but not breakfast. They have some amazing specials right now...check out their website.

Good luck and enjoy HK!

by snuggie

is there internet access in the room?any idea?

by yvr

Had internet access in my room at the Cityview.

by snuggie

wat abt Salisbury YMCA?internet?

by yvr

Since I stayed at the Cityview I can't speak regarding the Salsbury, why don't you google it and you could probably find out what amenities it offers guests.

by Weina

I'm staying there right now, it's really nice.
I'm not in a dorm-in a hotel room, booked through a tour group. But it's really nice--clean and simple.
It is REALLY centrally located place. The subway is literally across the street, and the ferries are 5 minutes away. Sweet!

Internet is not free, but it is not terribly expensive either (especially if you buy a week package, it's cheaper than going to internet cafes anyway)

Comments