home2home - Abeo

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Asiatravel.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 23% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Hong Kong

along just another huge construction sitealong just another huge construction site

Hong Kong Island from Star Ferry terminalHong Kong Island from Star Ferry terminal

The Stilt Houses of Tai O Fishing VillageThe Stilt Houses of Tai O Fishing Village

chinese sausage bunchinese sausage bun

Eating

by ohaiyo

Hi Everyone,

I love to eat and where in the world is a better place than Hong Kong to indulge my gluttony. I'll be staying in the Mid Level District on Hong Kong Island. Can anyone recommend a good dim sum place near that area? Also, I love Buddhist vegetarian food. My mother used to bring me to a Buddhist vegetarian restaurant that she said had been operating on Ladies' Street before the 1930's I've forgotten the name of that restaurant and where it is. Does anyone know? If not, can anyone recommend a good Buddhist vegetarian restaurant? Also, is Christmas the season for eating Shanghai hairy crab. If so, does anyone know a good restaurant that specialize in it?

by al2401

Hi, if you can get to Lantau Island there is a restaurant at the Po Lin monastery and the food there is delicious. The sight seeing is also great - visit the Giant Buddha, take the Ngong Ping cable car. You can also visit Tai O fishing village and the 'Tai O' donuts are really worth trying.

by picek

Hi,
here's another Buddhist vegetarian restaurant in Fung Ying Seen Koon Taoist temple in Fanling, Northern Teritorries.

Address: 66, Pak Wo Road, Fanling, New Territories
It's opposite Fanling Railway (MRT) station, takes only a few minutes walk from the station.

Even though it's a little far from Kowloon I suggest a visit to that interesting site (it's easy by MTR) and if you have a little more time, then you can as well do the Heritage trail in Fanling to see some of the traditional/ancient HK architecture (wais, temples, shrines, houses, etc).

For seafood (many kinds of it, and fresh) go to Lamma island. The two ferry station at different locations both have lots of seafood restaurant, it's good place for trying that kind of foods. And affordable.

Cannot suggest any dim sum in your area. Enjoy the food and HK altogether, v.

by swissfondue

Probably the most well known places to have dim sum are both in Central.

You will get the most authentic dim sum experience at City Hall. This large restaurant is always incredibly busy and somewhat touristy as the dim sum is served by quaint (and sometimes grumpy) old ladies from traditional carts.

Yung Kee in Wellington Street Central is another well known and busy dim sum restaurant.

You could try Po Lin Yuen Vegetarian Restaurant at 308 Queens Road. I havent personally eaten there but have friends who recommend it.

I think Shanghai Hairy Crab or Mitten crab is available in Autumn. I havent eaten it but it sounds like an interesting thing to try.

by mim95

Christmas is prob too late for the hairy crab. You can do a search at this HK restaurant review website for good recommendations: www.openrice.com

Yung Kee's specialty is roast goose.

Read this CNN article also on food: http://www.cnngo.com/hong-kong/none/40-things-eat-hong-kong-coronary-arrest-820489

Travel Tips for Hong Kong

Not worth the trip

by bamadiver

My favorite thing about Hong Kong was leaving. This is no place to even begin to have a good time. Had argument with some man about another man grabbing his wife's butt, not easy to tell him it wasnt me, when I didnt know what he was mad about in the first place, luckily another lady told him who had done it, not sure how much bail would be, but was well on the way to finding out. The air quality was terrible, food was decent at best, two buddies got pick pocketed the first night, luckily we lock most of the money up in hotel safe and carry just a little cash in pocket. And no we werent drunk. This all happened before we could ever get to the club we were heading out to. Got to the club, after having to go back to hotel for more cash to find our bags had been gone through. Was it because we are American or what? We were very disapointed in the trip, and decided to book first available flight to get out of there the next day, and went to Phuket and had a wonderful time. Now I wont even book a flight if it goes through Hong Kong. Just pay more and let them have that place to themselves. I am sure if I had stayed longer , might have had a nice time. But, when its going downhill like that, cut your losses and leave. Please Buckle Your Seat belt as we are about to depart from Hong Kong, best thing I had heard since I arrived

Ocean Park

by Gard

One day we got beautiful weather and the timing couldn’t have been better because we had decided to check out the ”theme park” Ocean Park. It is pretty easy to reach this place: subway to Admiralty subway station and once you get out you’ll find buses going to the park (for 12 HK dollars). The park is located on the south end of Hong Kong Island itself and it didn’t take us long to get there. After paying the entrance fee of 180 HK dollar we started out by taking the Mine train. This roller coaster was ok but the view from it was really great. We took it twice of course :-) One thing that really surprised us was the fact that there were hardly any people in the park so we never had to wait in line for any of the attractions. There are two entrances to the park by the way and we came in on the ”Tai Shue Wan” side and we got on the 225 meter long escalator(s) to get to the top. The view here was very nice and it got even better when we got into the 72 meter tall Ocean Park Tower. The park has a nice mixture of fun rides, shows, aquariums and animals.

It was great to walk through the Atoll Reef and the shark aquarium in marine land. In the Atoll reef you start at the top and you work your way down. According to the website there are more than 2000 fish in this aquarium. And they range from tiny small fish to a 7 feet long grouper. And in the shark aquarium you go through a tunnel were you can take a pretty close look at the 70 sharks that swim around. It is pretty interesting to get this close to the shark :-)

And the roller coaster The Dragon was not great but it had some pretty nice loops. The park layout is a bit strange by the way because you have to take a cable car to get from one section of the park to another (from Lowland Gardens to Headland Rides). But hey, it didn’t really matter much because this was more or less just like a ride :-) The view was great from the little cable car gondola. In the Lowland gardens we finally got to see a giant Panda by the way. While we were in Beijing we were thinking about going to the zoo. But we had read some negative things about it so we decided to skip it. But at the Ocean Park we got to see it in the giant Panda habitat. Another cool attraction in the Lowland gardens is the dinosaur walk and the butterfly house. I’m not used to big butterflies from back home so it was nice to walk through the butterfly house and look at ”giant” butterflies. If you stand really still you’ll even experience that they come and land on you…I think that the trick is wearing bright colours :-)

If you dont stay at the...

by eaglrn

If you dont stay at the Peninsula Hotel then you must come for high tea or something. Besides my view of the harbor from my hotel room,I really enjoyed the ferry ride between Kowloon and HK island,cheap with great views.

Left Luggage Facility

by poetjo

Yes there is a left luggage facility at HK International here is the url to the page you need on their website http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/tbu/baggage_left.htm

I've done that before while in HK and the service is effecient and friendly and not too expensive.

Enjly!

Hong Kong Central Police Station

by bryINpoland

Central police station can be found on Hong Kong Island in the Central district. It is one of the areas last remaining structures from Hong Kongs colonial times. It was built in 1864, and for a while was the headquarters for Hong Kongs police force. Today it still serves as a police station, dormitory, prison and as Hong Kong Island Regional and Central District Headquarters. Sadly there are plans to knock the building down, and replace it with shops and modern food plazas.

Comments