InterContinental Grand Stanford Hong Kong

InterContinental Grand Stanford
Travelocity InterContinental Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• splendid view of Hong Kong skyline

I am rapidly becoming a fan of the Intercontinental hotels, and this property is a fine example. The lobby is elegant, the food is good, but much more importantly, the rooms are beautifully designed with up-to-date decor, luxurious bedding, exceptional cleanliness, and impeccable maintenance. If you like skylines, Hong Kong has one of the world’s most impressive. This property has numerous rooms with eye-popping skyline views that are well worth the upgrade price. There’s plenty of shopping, food, and transportation options adjacent to the hotel, and a pleasant 10-minute walk along the harbor gets you to the nexus of shopping and museums in Tsim Sha Tsui, as well as the MTR (subway) station and the walk of fame.

• bpacker's Profile Photo

The Hotel by Kowloon's edge

This was where the wedding took place so I didn't have much of a choice when it came to choosing hotels. Initially I balked at the high price(USD200) but instinct later took over and I surfed for a better deal on the internet. I got it on Zuji eventually(USD$112) and was quite pleased they upgraded me to an excutive room on the day of my stay.

Unique Quality: Hmm, this is a 5star non-descript hotel but there were certain things I liked about this place:

1)Rooftop Pool - Not big but nice. Since there was a freak thunderstorm the time I was there, I even saw egrets blown backwards . Haha! It was a miracle that I did not struck by lightning when I was swimming there.

2)Plush comfy towelled robes

3)Museli bars at the bar - Honestly, hotels these days are more keen to give out junk like M&Ms then bars that taste like sweaters. So I was happy to see this, really.

4)Close to MTR and the airport express bus (free) stops here! We took a bus from here to Kowloon MTR where we could check in and take a train to the airport.

5)100% cotton duvets like the type you find at Westin. Really comfortable

Directions: From airport. Take a train to Kowloon MTR. Board the free airport express bus to the hotel.

• Average priced luxury in good location

This is a great luxury hotel, not among the best in the city but by far good enough not to pay more, unless you really want to be spoiled. :)

I found the location to be great, even if there is no subway in the near vicinity. But also there are far less salesmen who try and sell you everything.

Unique Quality: There was a DVD player (region free) in the Harbour view room, of which there are not too many in this hotel.

More about InterContinental Grand Stanford Hong Kong

Wake up and see the harbour from your bed!

by JessH about Intercontinental Grand Stanford

Travelling is always best when it's paid by someone else... in this case by the production company shooting the travel program I was presenting... hehe!

The rooms at the Grand Stanford (back then it was called the Grand Standford Harbour View) are spacious, clean, and the service is truly 5-star.
The hotel offers plenty of choice when dining and is also close to Nathan Road, a good shopping district as well as Kowloon Park.

The breakfast buffet offers Chinese traditional cuisine, as well as healthy alternative (cereal, fruit, yoghurt, etc.) and of course the well-known breakfast favourites of all imaginable variations of eggs, hash browns, toast, breads & buns, meats, baked beans, mushrooms & other vegetables, etc. One entire side of the room is a ceiling-to-floor window, so you don't even have to get out of bed to watch the ships and lights across Victoria harbour!!
See breathtaking sunrises, especially when it's foggy and the fog slowly lifts away...

The bathroom is relativey spaceous and equipped with high-quality hair dryer, nice fluffy towels, good shampoo, magnifying mirror, etc. etc. etc.

The lobby cafe is a very nice place to sit, have a cup of coffee and do a spot of people-watching. The service is friendly, efficient and welcoming.

Grand Stanford Harbour View

by kaesewecken about Grand Stanford Harbour View

As I said it's very expensive, if you stay alone, you will pay2350 HK$ and if you have enough you can go up to 13 000 HK$ for the presidental suite (no, you don't have to vote it)! That is a five star hotel, the normal price for a double room at the deluxe floors (and this is the cheapest one) is 2500 HK$ !!!! Any questions?
Of corse this hotel has got a pool - at the top of the hotel, enjoy it! For the harbor view you have to pay extra, so I only saw a amall garden out of my window, but if I was fed up with it I could take a bath in my own room, man this is luxury!
My picture shows you a breakfast worth 80 US $ ! They serve it to the room, it's the only way to get european breakfast in HK.

Highlight of Hong Kong

by TripAdvisor Member buv1955

From the moment we arrived at the Intercontinental Grand Stanford to the moment we left we were treated like royalty by the attentive hardworking staff. When booking the hotel we were guaranteed a harbour view room but were allocated one with a partial view at the side of the hotel. A quick word with reception and we were moved to a full harbour view room which was wonderful, particularly as in the morning as we were able to watch the sun rise over Hong Kong island and in the evening have a magnificent view of illuminated H.K.
The hotel is situated at the end of the promenade on Kowloon and has abundant shopping malls, restaurants , banks etc on its doorstep. The MTR (tube) station is only a 10 minute walk and this also gives access to the KCRC rail network. For those choosing to take the Star Ferry you can walk along the pleasant prom and will take 15/20 minutes walk. Alternatively, there is a ferry pier directly outside the hotel for ferry journeys to Central on the Island. These run every 20 mins in rush hour and half hourly the rest of the day. Extremely convenient and cheap too. A must to buy is an octopus card which you use to pay for all modes of transport - again very convenient.
The hotel staff were extremely efficient and instantly remembered my name each time. The concierge and his staff were brilliant and their knowledge base very extensive. I had to send a parcel home and they handled this withought a fuss.
The food in the hotel was great and very tasty. The buffet breakfast was one of the best we've had, full, fresh and varied with a chef on hand to make all manner of eggs etc.
I found the room service button on the phone amazing. Whatever my request from asking for a knife to an extra armchair was never too much trouble and delivered to the room within minutes. The chamber maid nightly filled the ice bucket and changed the towels each night.
When time to leave the hotel they provided a free shuttle bus service to the Airport Express station.

Best service I've EVER had at a hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member tivogirl

Though the other Intercontinental gets all the attention, the Grand Stanford is amazing. Hands down this was the best service I've experience at any hotel anywhere in the world. By the second day the staff knew my husband and I by name, and this is not a small hotel.

The restaurants are great, the lounges comfortable and accomodating, the rooms large and beautiful, and the amenities are terrific. Though not as centrally located on Kowloon as some other hotels, we still had a magnificent view. The high speed ferry dock was straight across the street, and the main Star Ferry dock just a few minutes away on foot or a few dollars in a cab. Nathan Road was a similar distance.

I can't say enough great things about the Grand Stanford and can't wait to return.

Grand STandforf

The Grand Standford is a modern and characterless hotel. It aspires to a level of grandeur to which it falls short.The lobby is vaulted and,on first impressions looks impressive but it doesn't contain much except a nice curved staircase which takes you up to the restaurant.
The staff, however, are efficient,smartly dressed and helpful but this is not untypical of the better standard of Hong Kong hotel.
Food is of a good standard but,on Sundays, the Shangri-la down the road is much better as it does an excellent Lunch menu at a fixed price.
There are many better or cheaper places to eat so you might consider going room only and spending the difference on a harbour view room which is a must.
Beware some rooms point inwards to a very drab internal space and some of the Harbour view rooms are obscured by a flyover.
If you do get a harbour view room, when you leave in the morning open the curtains wide.
When you come back in the evening the view of Hong Kong Island is worth the admission fee!
Drinks are very expensive,especially the mini-bar but, again, this is not untypical of an hotel which caters for business clientel.
There's a lounge bar which does some nice snacky 'bar' food and a pool on the roof.
The rooms are spacious and well fitted out but they do not compare with the Shangri la in Singapore or Jakarta (Jakarta Shang is the nicest hotel i have stayed at.)
Nathan road is about a 10 min walk and the star ferry about 15mins down the harbour front. Temple street and Ladies market about 10 min taxi drive, but beware if it rains taxi's are hard to come by! Use the underground instead.
All in all a decent, clean efficient hotel but that almost sounds like damning with faint praise .

Great Value for Money

by TripAdvisor Member dh20281

Stayed for 2 nights as part of a three week tour of Far East. Hotel was great value for money although our room faced onto a wall.

Staff really good and position of hotel good for shopping, eating and drinking.

Sticky Fingers Pub down the road is great especially at happy hour 5pm-9pm.

Pool is small but is an oasis in the buzz of HK.

Would recommend to anyone looking to spend a few days in Kowloon, as HK Island is quieter and less crowded.

Five Star Service for a Solid 4 Star Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member crytal

IGS was an excellent experience. Rooms were spacious enough, esp. for HK. Decor was very nice, with great electronic controls. Bathroom was modern and clean with granite countertops. Rooftop swimming pool and fitness center were very nice , clean and rejuvenating.

Stayed with IGS for 10 nights in two segments, before and after a trip to Beijing. (Hotel held our luggage.). The location in E. TST was preferred by us since it was not in the middle of the busiest and noisiest parts of HK. Taxis were always waitng in the front of the hotel. 10 minute walk to the metro or train north into mainland China. Very nice shopping plaza with good food choices and shops directly across from the hotel. HSBC bank with ATM in the plaza (very convenient for account holders).

Best part was the top-notch staff service. Special mention must be made of the Concierges and the Instant Message Telephone Operators. Every request I made was responded to immediately or research was done to provide me with the best possible response. I was impressed with how hard the staff worked to provide quality customer service. This was the best service I have ever received in a hotel/ resort and I have travelled quite extensively in the continental U.S., Hawaii, the Carribean, Mexico and Canada, staying at highly rated timeshare resorts and hotels.

I got a free upgrade to a partial harbor view room for the first part of my stay, which was quite wonderful and beautiful. The second part of my stay, a non-smoking room had smoke odor, especially bad in the bath, but then the hotel upgraded me to a high floor city view non-smoking room which was indeed free of smoke odor. Housekeeping requests were also met immediately.

I loved this hotel and wished I could have my home in this hotel because the service was that good and luxurious. By the way, as stated in a previous post?, the staff remember the guest's name almost immediately.

I agonized over hotel choices and I am so very glad we made the reservation at this particular hotel in HK. I highly recommend this first rate hotel.

connectivity with mrt

by poojasaigal

planning a trip to hong kong ut cant decide which part to stay-kowloon or central..if stay at intercontinental grand stanford hotel,kowloon...hws iits connectivity to mrt...
dont want to spend unnecessarily on taxis..

Re: connectivity with mrt

by kimpton1006

Kowloon is better as there are more activities at night, such as Mong Kok, where shops are still opening at 12am, even 1am. You can also see the view of Hong Kong Island from the Kowloon side.

Intercontinental grand stanford hotel is quite convenient as it's next to the exit P of East Tsim Sha Tsui Station. You can take the East Rail Line at E. TST station (which can take you to Shenzhen) or walk to Tsim Sha Tsui Station to take the Tsuen Wan Line through underground walkway. Tsuen Wan Line can take you to some hotspots, such as Mong Kok and Central. There is also the largest shopping mall in HK, Harbour City, at Tsim Sha Tsui. Just walk through the underground walkway to the exit A of Tsim Sha Tsui Station.

Re: connectivity with mrt

by poetjo

I completely agree with the other poster. The hotel location is perfect. You are right within walking distance to everything including the MTR station. If you want to get to Central then all you need to do is walk to the star ferry pier and take it over to Central. I've stayed on both Central and Kowloon and although I like central as far as shopping and sightseeing I would never stay there again as it is difficult to get around. You made a good choice in hotel and location.

Comments