3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

378 Nathan Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China

Agoda.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 65% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• DANGER--Bait and switch

The Nathan Hotel will quote one rate on the phone when you make the reservation and then double it when you arrive at 11:00 p.m., exhausted from your air travel. The rate I was quoted was 1100 HKD and the rate I had to pay was 1958 HKD. Talking to the general manager did not provide satisfaction. The hotel seems to mainly serve tour groups with discount rates arranged in advance--private guests BEWARE.

HK has always had a reputation for fleecing tourists through over-charging, attempts at cheating, and downright fraud. The city is like a huge vacuum cleaner than removes whatever money a visitor has with the utmost speed and efficiency. The Nathan continues this fine tradition.

• charlesracine's Profile Photo

A couple of local markets near Hotel

My stay was good in this clean hotel.

Unique Quality: What was nice, is that there were a couple of evening local markets within two blocks from the hotel. One was more of a flea market with everything from knock-off watches to what seemed like older items.

• Nathan Hotel 5 Nights Review

I stayed 5 nights from Sept 18-22, 2006. Check in was fine, though can expect a minor wait of about 10 minutes. For some reason, they ran out of king beds and gave us (2 couples), 2 rooms of 2 twin/full size beds. This was fine with us. But my girlfriend would've preferred a king bed.

I insisted that we get the remodeled rooms and they obliged. I suspected if I had not asked we would've gotten a non remodeled room.

Bellhop, maid, etc. all did a good job.

***Major disappointment/let down***

On the 2nd and 3rd day, I was getting a stomach ache in the morning around 9 am. I suspected it must have been the hong kong drinking water. Before I bought bottled water and boiled it in the hot pot provided. But once I checked in, i used the tap water to boil water daily to make tea.

On the 4th day, I opened the boiling water pot and noticed it was all rusted inside. DISGUSTING. I took 2 pictures for you all to see. I suspected this is what caused my stomach to ache, but of course, could have been the tap water also. Nonetheless, this is a serious flaw in that the housekeeper should have known and/or caught it. Cause she did empty the bottle daily and washed the tea cups.

So my tip: please check out all the coffee pot/water pot before you use it. Rinse it, boil water in it a couple of times before using and most importantly, check for rust, contamination, or skip entirely and drink from a bottle. My weakness is that I love to drink hot tea daily.

Unique Quality: Very basic, but clean gym. Better to go to 24 hour/California Fitness if you have USA membership.

Directions: Jordan. 1 Block from Jordan MTR

More about Nathan Hotel

Spaces & good location

by elainetph about Nathan Hotel

I had put up in Nathan Hotel recently during 22-26 Dec 06, the room is big unlike those other hotels I'd stayed before in Hong Kong. Nathan Hotel is about 10 mins walk away from the MTR, Temple street is right across the street (2nd lane from Nathan Rd). There's many things to see & buy from the Temple night market. This street is simply divided into 2 section, after the 1st section there's a seafood/ local stall, it sells very nice & low cost food. You'll not miss this outstanding stall as it is fully seated with tables are placed outside along the Temple street.
We had eaten twice here as it is very convenient from Nathan Hotel. Must try the Oyster pancake, eat while it is hot!!

nathan hotel

by pamychan about nathan hotel

the hotel is located in between yau ma tei and jordan mtr and is walking distance to the jade market. the rooms are simple but comfortable. i only stayed here for one night so didnt get to experience much of the service. but the hotel bellboy was helpful and allowed me to deposit my luggage before my room was ready and even help bring it to my room.

Nice hotel

by notoque about Nathan Hotel

Nathan Hotel is in Kowloon tourist district. Walking distance to attractions and subway. Hotel is clean. Room are clean, good size compared to rooms in Hong Kong. Staff is very helpful. Hotel is very nice place to stay if not looking for deal. No discount here. Typical 4 star hotel in Hong Kong. Very nice with high rate.

This is reasonable hotel and good service too

by qelow about Nathan Hotel, Kowloon

It's 3 star hotel.. But nice and the room is big enough to cater about 5~6 persons in a room depends on you.

The location is good. it's near to Ladies street, Tample streets and those night markets stuff.. And loads of good food around too.

Worth to stay and not expensive too. just simply a good place to stay during your trip, there's no pool ... but the room is kind of relax atmosphere..

Whatelse you need.

Spaces & good location

by elainetph about Nathan Hotel

Nathan Hotel is located in Nathan Road, 10 mins away from Jordan MTR. It is a 15 storey tall building, highest guest room is 14th, restaurant named Penthouse (chinese) & Bali (cocktail pub) on 15th. Next to hotel ground floor with internal entrance to Starbud Coffee.
Rooms are big & spaces, with ample space for walking. All in one control in alarm/ clock system including bed lights, air-condition control. Mini bar & fridge, mini safe, all toileteries provided, hairdryer & international plug. Not much of a scenery from this hotel as it is blocked by tall building front & back.
Many shops along Nathan Rd, Temple Street night market is 2 lanes away across the Nathan Rd. You can find many food stalls with nice & cheap food.
Hang Heung bakery shop is 15 mins walk away towards Mongkok. If take taxi run by metre is HK15, worth den walking :)
From Nathan Hotel to airport, taxi run by metre is less den HK250.
If 10 mins walk is far for you, BP International is about 5 mins walk from Jordan MTR. BP is nearer to TST as well, but it will be far to Temple Street. So depend what you prefer. Very near to Temple Street, as there have very nice & cheap food. Will not hestitate to dine there every night. There's one in the centre section of Temple Street where you will not miss it as tables are being placed out along the street. Remember to try their Oyster pancake, and make sure eat it while it's hot!!

A Nice Hotel for a Good Price When Exploring Hong Kong

by TripAdvisor Member onjaymicua

Me and my sister, Asian girls(one in her early 20s, the other in her late 20s), stayed in Nathan Hotel for two nights just last June. We paid for a Superior Twin Room and loved it. We loved that the decor of the hotel is contemporary Asian and that the ambience of the lobby, our room's hallway, and our room is very fresh. No peeling wall paint, no bald carpets, no dingy hallways. The linens and towels were fresh and spotless white. We each had a huge rolling duffel and carry-on and there was enough floor space in our room for me and my sister to move around and put our luggages, carry-ons and other stuff. The closet space and drawer space was more than enough I can't imagine a situation where it'll all be needed. There's a power outlet that was a little tricky for me to find on top of the desk. The bathroom was small, ok, and the bathroom counter top was practically non-exsistent but we managed by just leaving our toiletries in our toiletry bags. For a two-night stay, we didn't want to bother to lay out a lot of our stuff. The buffet breakfast was good. If you're staying for more than three days, it could be boring. Temple St. Night Market is less than 10 minutes walking distance from Nathan Hotel. Nathan Hotel is closest to the Jordan MTR station but walk once to the Tsim Sha Tsui MTR Station at the south end of Kowloon Park and enjoy Nathan Road with all the stores/shops, activities, neon lights, double decker buses, and tourists.

Good value for money

by TripAdvisor Member dragonman64

There is no denying that hotel rates in Hong Kong are expensive. And to secure accomodations that include a free breakfast buffet jacks up the prices altogether. Not with Nathan Hotel. At a little less than USD100 nett per night for twin sharing, this is one of the stand-out value-for-money deals that can be had in this shopping mecca.

First off, one might wonder why a hotel of this quality offers competitive rates when it is practically located on the Golden Mile. Well, your question is answered once you discover that the place is situated almost equidistant between two subway stations (Jordan and Yau Ma Tei) which makes walking to the lazy bone a daily challenge. It is a minimum of 4 blocks to one station to its left and at least 5-6 blocks to the right. Continuous walking is alright, but crossing numerous stoplights before reaching the nearest station (Jordan) can be annoying.

But enough with the proverbial fly-in-the-ointment because outside of the gripe above, Nathan Hotel offers clean, decent and a step-above-ordinary rooms in a city where the cost of living (and touring) is steep. There may be small units among the cheapest rooms, but if you get one of the bigger ones, consider yourself lucky. Everything inside the room is standard stuff - neither luxurious nor very basic. Common areas are well-maintained, while the modestly-sized lobby gives some feeling of relaxation after a day of sightseeing and shopping.

The best part of my stay in this place, though, is the complimentary breakfast buffet served every morning. Their bacon and eggs may not be the most appetizing, but the sausages, noodles and assorted fresh dimsum are just excellent! If you plan to fill your tummy with these goodies, it will last you till way after lunch. This free meal can really start anyone's day right.

Now, in terms of shopping, the Temple Street Market is just across the place, while the much improved Mongkok shopping haven can be managed by foot in 12-15 minutes. There is also a Starbucks downstairs, but the price of a latte' or frap in this city is just too extravagant that I decided to skip getting my fix of caffeine one afternoon.

All in all, I would recommend this place to future travellers who want to stretch the value of their money to the max.

Cityview Hotel vs Nathan Hotel

by mobits

Which is a better choice? Im planning for a 5D4N in Nov.. Or is there better hotel along Nathan Rd? Pls help!

Re: Cityview Hotel vs Nathan Hotel

by yvr

Check out the tripadvisors.com web site for reviews of past guests at both these hotels. I stayed at the Cityview and found it nice clean rooms, Internet was not free. Breakfast was included in my room rate. The hotel does seem to cater to groups. It is a block off Nathan Road.

Comments