Asia Hotels

Our Members Say

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

ASIA MOUNTAINS 1: A YURT AND A POOL (KIRGYZSTAN)

I found Asia Mountains 1 (no. 2 is in town) in a guidebook and then later on a website. For some reason the website I used only had a Junior Suite available – the most expensive – at $80 a night. I would recommend that you have a look at the section below and book direct and choose a room that is right for you. They had plenty of vacancies when I was there. In fact I really bought more room and amenities than I needed. Oddly they do not have seasonal prices and the swimming pool was full of snow when I was there, so consider Asia Mountains 2 during the winter. Also their Yurt, here at Asia Mountains 1, is only available during the summer.

The hotel was slightly hard to find, but they can pick you up. The main building is very nice. There is a reception desk with a fair amount of souvenirs for sale (including postcards) and things like maps and leaflets of activities across Kyrgyzstan. To the right is a massive open plan kitchen where you get your buffet breakfast food (cold, but excellent). Supposedly you can use the kitchen yourself if you wish. Further to the right is a massive open plan dinning area where you can get your coffee/tea and also use their internet for free.

My Junior Suite was in the building past the swimming pool. The room was large and well equipped. The only drawback was that the bed was poor for being a top priced room. I had a nice desk, plenty of closet space, satellite TV, remote climate control and even a place to store my luggage. There was a good fridge, electric kettle and 2 tea bags. Oddly they never replaced the tea bag I used! The bathroom, complete with a robe, was good. Descent sink and mirror to shave with. The tub was nice enough and the showers had plenty of hot water. There were 2 soap and 1 shampoo dispensers.

Overall it was completely quiet, warm and safe. The security guard had his office in my building.

The location is also quiet, despite being near the train line – I never heard a train or saw one. It is a good 10 minute walk to the heart of everything, but it’s all flat. There are several well stocked shops nearby and a sauna. There is even a large bar a stones throw away. All in all – a good stay.

OVERVIEW OF THE HOTEL

Facilities:
• Outdoor swimming pool (warmer months)
• 20 rooms and a Yurt – details below
• Free car parking
• Conference room for 25 people
• 24 reception and security
• Souvenirs/postcards/maps/tourist information
• Free internet (1 computer) and Wi-Fi
• Laundry
• Meals and a bar service

OTHER SERVICES:

• Bathtub

STANDARD TWIN ROOM (6):
• As above

TWO ROOM SUITE (2):
• 2 separate beds (can be put together)
• Sofa
• Writing table
• Bathrobe and slippers

SUITE (5):
• In a separate building
• Heated floors
• Full desk

DELUXE ROOM (4):
• Same amenities as the suites

THE YURT:
** They told me you can sleep in the Yurt during the summer, but gave me no details. Please email them for prices.

• Related to: Road Trip, Singles, Family Travel
  • Written February 4, 2014

Hotel Asia Mountains 1, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

EVEREST HOTEL, KATHMANDU: PIGEONS HAVING SEX IN YOUR WINDOW

When I checked into this large hotel, I was told by the man at reception that the Everest had been the first luxury hotel in Kathmandu. It looked like it had not been updated since that day long ago. The carpets and walls looked dated, the man at reception looked dated, even the sign announcing the pool closure for renovation looked suspiciously old. You guessed it – it got worse from there. Yes, I was taken to a standard room despite booking something better. Up the old looking and sounding elevator through a dated looking corridor to a door. And inside? Yes, a weather-worn looking room. Dark, gloomy and that was some of the better qualities. A quick glance into the small bathroom revealed cheap toiletries and not much else. My bed felt cheap and was definitely not ‘luxury’. Unless it was a hold over form when they opened years ago. After the staff member left I went to investigate the fridge. Hmm. No, not plugged in and the electrical connections at the back of the desk looked dangerous. When I did plug it in, a high pitched whine ensued. A very loud high pitched whine. I had had a long journey from India and I just wanted sleep. I was ready to go to reception and ask for another room when 2 amazing things happened. Not good things. Very very bad things.

First I heard flapping. Yes, flapping. And squawks. And then something that sounded like cooing. I opened the blinds and I was presented with a dozen pigeons have an orgy of both sex excrement at the same time. Just think of Alfred Hitchcock’s movie the birds, with a lot more poo and you can smell it.

OK, so yes, I have enough going for me to ask for a room change. And then it happened.

Yes, the BAND started playing! What band. Well the large band with large speakers on the stage in the bar right above my head! Yes! I was staying in the room from hell!

Let’s just say the staff came to the room and said the pigeons were not that bad and band? What band? Just then the band stared playing again. “That band – show me a new room!”.

I was ‘ upgraded’ to a club room. Slightly larger with a sofa in it. The bed was still bad and I had a hard time sleeping. When I woke up the next day I could see my old room and why all the windows on one side of the hotel had hundreds of filthy pigeons. All the rooms large open concrete cradles for air-conditioning units. At some point in the past the hotel had purchased a single massive air-conditioning unit for the whole hotel and put it on the roof. This left dozens of massive, purpose- built pigeon habitats. And they were definitely breeding. Believe me I watched them at it. Luckily I was able to organize a move the next day to the much better Hotel Himalaya. Please read my review here.

The hotels had some plus points, kind of. You could sit on the roof outside and have an over-priced beer from one of the 6 bars and restaurants. And yes, one of them has a large stage with large speakers. The breakfast buffet is ok except for the omelette chefs. Those guys are fantastic, but they make them cook outside. Weird. Other than that there is a gift shop in the lobby.

When I stayed here they also had dug up the busy road outside and mud, dirt and dust flew everywhere. This was a very bad and short stay. I recommend, for the same price range, that you stay closer to town is one of several nicer hotels. The Everest has had its day and time has moved on. Well, with other hotels it has anyway.

HOTEL OVERVIEW
• 160 rooms (some non-smoking) and built in 1981
• 4 restaurants, 1 bar Bugles & Tigers) and a roof top beer garden
• Casino (gamble enough and the room is free)
• Free Wi-Fi
• Gym, sauna (chargeable) and pool (closed when I was there)
• Small shops, air-conditioned throughout, money exchange
• Café next door
• Tennis court
• Beauty center
• Complimentary daily newspaper (in the lobby)
• Travel Services, baby-sitting, Airport shuttle

ROOMS:
• 4 types: Superior, Deluxe, Club Double, Suite
• Club Rooms have a sofa and are located away from the pigeons
• Coffee/tea making facilities and a fridge
• Air-conditioned and non-smoking

• Related to: Luxury Travel, Family Travel, Business Travel
  • Written July 25, 2013

PIGEONS HAVE SEX HERE

HOTEL HIMALYA: MY FAVOURITE KATHMANDU HOTEL

Hotel Himalaya is the best of the upper-scale hotels in Kathmandu. It keeps things simple, quiet and efficient. The hotel is well located for shopping, dining, and mini-markets. It is also a 7-8 minute walk to the World Heritage Site - Patan Durbar Square. When I first pulled up into the grounds of the hotel, I thought ‘yes’. It is on a busy main road during the day, but the entrance is set back from the road and the rooms extend back into the hotels own gardens and even its own Temple. The lobby is massive, has a simple and tasteful décor and a few nice shops. The reception desk can arrange any services or information you need. They also have a currency exchange desk with very good rates for a hotel.

The lobby leads into the nice open restaurant and then outside to the outdoor pool and nice grounds. They do advertise an “… awesome 180 degree panoramic view of the majestic Himalayas”. You can see the mountains in the distance, but don’t get too excited. There is seating in the garden and you can drink or even dine outside on warmer days. There is also a tennis court.

Back inside you can have a drink in the Base Camp Bar, which does have Happy Hour specials. Just next to the entrance of the bar is a nice pastry stall. The hotel also has a good business centre and what they advertise as ‘Wi-Fi hotspots’.

They have 2 levels of rooms with the better rooms on the upper floor. I stayed in room 1016 on the ground floor and I liked my room. It was modern, good sized, had plenty of amenities and a great bed. It also had about 1000 electrical switches for everything from the TV to small lights all over the room. My mini-bar was a nice cold fridge which house the beer I bought nearby at perfect temperatures. The room had a massive desk, 2 nice chairs, ample closet, a safe and coffee/tea making facilities. It also had its own room temperature control. The bathroom was well appointed and modern. It also had good mirrors and not so great toiletries. By Kathmandu hotel standard these toiletries were above average, but Nepalese hotels really need to up their game on such items.

The hotel was absolutely quiet at night and the staff were always very helpful. Breakfast was an excellent mix of hot and cold dishes as well as making up items like omelettes to order. They even had several English language newspapers to read over a nice cup of coffee. The only problem I had was when the Housekeeping staff decided to shout at each other in the corridor one morning. I was already awake, but a bit surprised. I spoke to reception, so hopefully they will not do this when you stay here.

All in all, this is a great Kathmandu hotel with some excellent restaurants a short walk away. I had sleep, tranquillity and enjoyed my stay.

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• 125 Rooms on 2 floors all with their own climate control
• Large garden to sit or have a drink/meal
• Outside swimming pool (2 actually), tennis court and children’s play area
• Excellent location
• Restaurant, bar, patisserie, and room service
• Nightclub can be rented (only)
• Ancient Kumari Temple in the grounds
• Quiet

ROOMS
All rooms have climate control, minibar, telephone, safe, 32 inch satellite TV, bathroom with bathtub/shower, broadband internet access, and tea/coffee tray and hairdryer. There are 2 categories of rooms:
• Deluxe
On the ground floor
• Executive
On the upper floor. These rooms have designer décor and their own balconies.

FOOD & DRINK
• Café Horizon. Misleading name for the full service restaurant for all meals and also has outside seating
• Base Camp Bar. Modern full service bar with pictures of singers from long ago
• The Tea Lounge. Very delicious looking pastries and cakes served in the lobby or outside Japanese Garden

BUSINESS FACILITIES
The hotel caters to large conferences and is adjacent to the Business District
• Business Centre with internet, printing and secretarial assistance

• Written July 11, 2013

HOTEL HIMALYA, KATHMANDU, NEPAL

• monterowe profile photo monterowe

Baan Samui Resort: Colouful Koh Samui

The hotel was better than we expected, all the different sections are painted in vibrant colors of orange , hot pink, yellow. down stairs are the upgrade rooms with cheaper accommodation above. We stayed in the lower level rooms while there, they do have internet access just above reception its best to spray with repellent before going as the mosquitoes will eat you alive, spraying is done but they don't stop them breeding. I made sure I bought mozzie coils and placed every night under bench outside. There is a convenience store right outside the front of resort with everything you want and need. walk towards beach down the back ..pool is just off the beach, where I would go for a walk on a morning so peaceful. Rooms are well looked after. the rooms and resort have a mexican feel to them. breakfast was quite nice no complaints

Large assortment for breakfast ,peaceful area to holiday..right in the middle of Koh Samui's shopping walk and restaurants. do go to Pizza Hut and watch the planes taking off from the airport the flight goes over Pizza hut spectacular to watch. Lovely area..few dentist down the road if needed.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written May 2, 2013

Ground Level Rooms

• monterowe profile photo monterowe

The Diamond Cottage Resort & Spa: Best budget Hotel in Phuket

This hotel was awesome settled in the hillside in Karong not too far away from Patong Beach but a lot quieter if thats what you want. Best room to pick is the Pool Access room. Rooms cleaned every day loved the stay so much we went back the following year, the doors are opened by a keycard they give you best leaving it at the desk when you go out shopping. plenty of restaurants out the front and beach is only five minutes down the road. this hotel is 3 1/2 star but the accommodation is more 4 star..pool access rooms are not much more than regular rooms. if you arrive early than time for room on the first day leave bags with reception and go in the bottom pool till room is ready. second time we were there they put us in our same room in two minutes of arriving.

Staff are exceptionally nice very friendly drivers of the golf buggies used to take you up the hill ( can use these also if you do not wish to climb hill to your room just ask at desk.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Beaches, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Family Travel
  • Written May 2, 2013

Entrance

• Rafim profile photo Rafim

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Shivanandi River Lodge (www.shivanandi.com): India Himalaya (low) Kayaking Retreat

I was there in 2012 July - August with our kids who run the guesthouse. We were there in the Monsoon period, as we go each year, to keep the kids company in their dry period. Nevertheless. we went on some beautiful hikes and had a lot of fun, Never ventured into the river running below the lodge (a tributary of the Ganges-freezing water) but had a lot of fun all around it, Now. March to June, the place looks completely different - green, beautiful,the river (warm now......relatively) has shrunk in size from 200 meters across to a mere 90m!
They have a big natural swimming pool onsite for rolling kayaks and for swimming of course, fullboard accomodation and lots of fun - look at the site, it has all the details www.shivanandi.com

Unique site overlooking the Aleknanda River (tributary of the Ganges)
Large "natural" swimming pool - also serves kayak rolling lessons- overlooking hte Aleknanda
Comfortable unique double rooms
Indian cooking - not hot!
Excellent varied hiking in the area
Great rivers all around for Kayaking

• Related to: Kayaking, Hiking and Walking, Family Travel
  • Written March 26, 2013
Tip Photo

View from the upstairs rooms - ricefields

• DennyP profile photo DennyP
  • Reviews: 828

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotels/ Hostels/ and Guesthouses: GOOD ACCOMODATION AT THE RIGHT PRICE.

ASIA
. I have found on my visits through Asia good inexpensive accomodation is usually very easy to find. I travel budget but am still able to rent cheap rooms on a nightly /weekly basis for the right price..Of course the longer that you are going to stay in a certain place your chance of the price being lowered are improved.. This of course depends on your bargaining skills ..Remember you have the money!! if you cant get a deal... WALK.. the price will usually drop quickly..
I book a lot of accomodation ahead on: www.hostelworld.com. (booking costs are minimal) I have found this to be a very handy site especially if I am arriving late and sometimes can organise a pickup from the railway station or bus station... Also sometimes they will take you back to the station free of charge..I have found this in many places and was exceptionally handy when arriving in Moscow after being robbed in Mongolia.
A lot of accomodation varies from cheap to expensive but as I've mentioned I travel budget but even medium cost accomodation in S.E.Asia is exceptional.. Bali, Vietnam, Burma(Myanmar) Laos and Cambodia come to mind. I usually take the Hostel option and some are amazing..ie: Hue even had free beer every night for an hour at 6pm..amazing seeing the share room was only $10/night. Also you will find the help that is available from these hostels/hotels is amazing regarding what/where .lots of local info regarding the local points of interest and must see and do's. As I travel alone and mostly by train I find all these things so helpful in strange cities and countries.
When arriving at various places in Asia immediately you will be confronted by "touts" trying to sell you the best accomodation (among other things). So if I haven't booked ahead I usually have a place in mind from my travel info or book..I usually by pass "touts" although I will always listen to some of the chatter

For Bargain Accomodation
When booking ahead always ask if they do pickups from airport railway/bus stations.? .is it free!!
Will they return you and luggage to airport train/bus station!!..is it free!
When bargaining for a hotel room ask how much if you stay an extra couple of days..!! what will the price be then!! if the proprietors aren't willing to bargain ...walk.. usually they will change the tune..
Of Course sometimes in peak season in popular places bargaining sometimes not an option.. expect that..
Always ask what the security is like??
Do they have rental security lockers.!!
Above all look at the room to see what you are being offered ...another chance to bargain !!!

• Related to: Food and Dining, Trains, Backpacking
  • Written March 9, 2012

My Hotel..excellent-inexpensive. Lovina Beach Bali

• ll_angel86 profile photo ll_angel86
  • Reviews: 16

Booking Accommodation Online

I've used Agoda many times to book a room. But now I've kinda switched towards using booking.com because they don't charge fees and cancelling a booking is really easy, and most of the time free.

Both Agoda.com and Booking.com is easy to use and I have not have any problems with my confirmed bookings so far.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written December 23, 2011

• Aussienet profile photo Aussienet
  • Reviews: 1

Shangri La: Shenzhen Hotel

I regularly go to Shenzhen which is a train ride from Kowloon, and stay at the Shangri La Hotel which is just across the square from a huge shopping complex, if you want garments made, the top floor had a myriad of materials and tailors on site, that will make whatever you want and at an amazingly low price no negotiating with the tailors but you do have to negotiate with everything else, if you are good at it, the savings are fantastic. it is worth staying at the hotel as you need the time to shop around. electrical goods I would not recommend, as I have been caught, but I have 3 lovely watches that I have had for 5 years which are still going and look great, plus jewellery, clothing, too much to mention.
You do need a visa, which you can obtain at the border crossing, but I always get mine here in Australia, as I don't like having to wait, I just like to get shopping! While in Hong Kong I always seem to find goodies at Stanley Markets as well and the Ladies Market. Happy Shopping I hope this helps

Great Service, Top Class Rooms, Great Restaurants,

• Related to: Women's Travel, Business Travel
  • Written November 27, 2011

• hfbartist profile photo hfbartist

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

A brush with...Nepal budget accommodation

After trawling the internet for hours I've decided on Tibet Peace Guesthouse for Thamel, Kathmandu as the place to stay on immediate arrival. They offer an airport pick up service which will be handy for first timers and private rooms for 2 with shared bathroom for about £2.50 / 300 NPR pppn. As much as we'll be heading back and forth in and out of Kathmandu while we're in Nepal I've only booked the first 2 nights stay. This will allow us to check the area out and the guesthouse and hopefully if we arrange to come back with them bargain for the same price. Book direct with hostelworld.com for the best rates as if you contact the guesthouse direct for a quote in my case it was over treble the price!

Another that looks good in Thamel is the Hotel Himalaya Yoga about the same rate as above so we'll go and check that out as a second option while we're there as there's little difference all round. This hotel also offers Yoga every morning from Sunday to Friday for £2.50 / 300 NPR p/h which is open to guests and non guests. Looking forward to that!

We're going to head up to Pokhara, Nepal for 5 nights early on in the trip and I've found great reviews for the Pushpa Guesthouse which at approx £2.50 / 300 NPR pppn for a double room with ensuite. Again booked this through hostelworld. It was impossible to find contact details until making the booking ramchandra_khadka@hotmail.com is the email I have now.

Pokhara is a popular destination with travelers, think stunning scenery, peaceful lakes and the infamous World Peace Pagoda and Devi's Falls. The latter being one of those warped things thrill seekers surely love - 'let's go and visit the site of the tragic death of a young couple; swept away by a flood.'
From what I can see you wont be short of second choices for accommodation in Pokhara. Ours is the Pokhara View Garden hotel £6.42 / 785 NPR per double room per night. Again great reviews from people that have stayed there which is all we have to go on at the moment. Will post our thoughts when we get there for sure and link that to this post - errr you'll need till wait till Feb 2012 though!

Overall we were looking for friendly, clean, welcoming environments on a small budget and these places ticked the boxes. So if you're looking for the same hopefully the above will save you some time researching.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written October 4, 2011

• GitaP profile photo GitaP
  • Reviews: 45

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Find the best rates: Asian city accommodation

Online accommodation sites provide a great way to benchmark what a city's accommodation rates are in relation to ratings, location etc. I always check www.agoda.com; hotels.com; bookings.com, wofit, hotelrooms.com to start a list of possible choices and prices based on where I want to be located. Another consideration I take in is the length of the stay. For shorter 2/3 day visits, it is better to be central and close to public transport hubs and while you may pay a little more, you can cram in exciting things to do. After you have narrowed down your choices, make your bookings through a site like bookings.com or hotels.com that donnot charge cancellation fees except if you don't show and donnot cancel before the stipulated date. In Singapore, hotels are pricier than in other cities like Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur but there are a number of cheap hotels and decent in the Balestier Rd area (nearest station Novena) but lots of bus stations along the road. I have just booked the Aqueen hotel for July for about US$86 per night but you cna find hotels rooms from US$40.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written May 25, 2010

• GitaP profile photo GitaP
  • Reviews: 45

Any hotel: Booking accommodation Best Tips

When I am booking accommodation, I normally shop around online at www.agoda.com,asia rooms etc and then make my actual bookings through bookings.com or hotels.com since neither charge a cancellation fee, provide great back up service and will genrally beat any price on line if you find it cheaper.

• Written May 22, 2010

• arpitsen profile photo arpitsen
  • Reviews: 1

Leisure: Cambay Holidays, Ahmedabad – an amazing experience

Cambay Holidays, Ahmedabad – an amazing experience
“ It was an amazing experience with Cambay Grand, Ahmedabad. They provided us with the best facilities that one desires while on holidays. The rooms are such that they provide us homely environment. ”

Enjoyable stay !!!!!!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Business Travel, School Holidays
  • Written April 22, 2010
Tip Photo

• amolch profile photo amolch
  • Reviews: 4

Taj Hotel: Taj is luxurious Hotel

Fusce ac pretium libero. Etiam semper lorem quis enim ultricies ac iaculis felis dignissim! Praesent eget felis eget nulla pulvinar sollicitudin. Curabitur vel dapibus neque. Nam sit amet mauris eu leo pretium bibendum eu et risus. Nam fermentum, metus eu auctor tincidunt, enim diam ultrices leo, iaculis mollis turpis libero id nisi. Sed scelerisque dignissim tristique. Nam consectetur odio sed nisi luctus gravida. Mauris semper tristique porttitor. Quisque ut tortor orci, at molestie nisl? In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Aenean scelerisque malesuada risus, nec elementum nunc auctor eget. Duis eu nibh sapien, et vulputate sem! Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut sit amet aliquam nibh. Proin fringilla libero a leo tempus adipiscing. Maecenas tincidunt lectus a elit gravida et blandit ligula tempus. Maecenas quam nulla, venenatis non lobortis vel; rhoncus non nisl. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae;

Nam facilisis orci in orci vulputate eu dapibus magna sodales. Morbi sollicitudin magna eget nibh porta ornare. Donec eu lectus felis, in mollis arcu. Morbi dapibus ultrices erat id accumsan. Vivamus massa nunc.

Donec at arcu vitae libero condimentum tincidunt commodo in nunc. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Ut eu elit non massa egestas porttitor sed et justo. Duis diam nulla, condimentum luctus sollicitudin fermentum, volutpat non mi! Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras ut magna mi, quis ornare quam. Etiam eu felis ut lorem scelerisque vehicula. Nunc id fringilla mi. Donec adipiscing consectetur ullamcorper. Aenean non augue nisi, at blandit lorem. Pellentesque condimentum placerat felis ut pellentesque. Mauris molestie, felis at ultrices tempus,

• Written June 10, 2009

• bulldogtwo profile photo bulldogtwo
  • Reviews: 307

none: Hotel rates in Thailand

Yeah it doesn't surprise me that when you call the hotel that they are going ot tell you something different. This is because they control the inventory of their rooms, and the rates. In other words, they allow different vendors to sell their rooms, usually at different rates, trust me, it's a pain to keep them all straight. So if you were to talk to other guests most of them are going to pay different rates than you. Some more some less, some the same. They may have a standard room available but is the rate the same as what you were looking for? I'd be surprised if it was, not impossible but unlikely.
You may want to try this, it's worked for me. Book for a night or two. Once you are there prior to your check out date ask to stay longer and a better rate than you found via internet. A lot easier to give you a better rate to a warm body than someone who is not standing in front of you. If they won't you can either check into a different place or you lose nothing at the rate that you are at. This may depend on the time of year and place though, as you know it can get busy.
Again, hope that helped