Raj Niwas Palace Hotel

Luxury Travel Historical Travel
smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

Live like a Maharaja

by written on May 4, 2010

Made out of the wonderful, red sandstone of Doholpur is the Raj Niwas Palace. Situated in well maintained gardens and shut off from the rest of the world by beautiful cast iron gates the Raj Niwas Palace is opulent and dripping in grandeur from days gone by. The furnishings are lush and interior walls are completed with custom made tiles from Europe. It describes itself as a treasure-trove where one can amble and immerse ini the pages of history. Certainly stepping through the gates is like stepping back in time. I was served (in bone china) the best chai I tasted in India and shown around the building. The rooms are spacious with high ceilings but there is a hushed, unused feel to the place and staying here could be creepy... but certainly an experience that, had I had more time and the budget, I would have liked to have indulged in for one night.

Prices start at 6500IND (approx £95) for a 'Delux Cottage' (which I believe is not part of the main building) and go up to 19000IND (approx £280) for all singing and dancing Main Palace Luxury.

Pulling up at the gates our driver told the security we were rtavel writers and wanted to do a "piece" on the palace. We ewre then allowed in to poke about!

The staff at the hotel were not at all put out that we had two children with us - they provided them with chai in fine bone china (to which my heart skipped a little beat!) and biscuits!

5 Photos of Raj Niwas Palace Hotel

Dholpur Travel Forum

Need advice about Dholpur, India? Visit the Travel Forum for Dholpur and ask our Answer Gurus.

Dholpur Travel Guide