Abalone Resort

Family Travel Singles Beaches
See Amenities

What a Fabulous Holiday

by written on March 5, 2009

This was our second time to Arpora in Goa and first to this hotel Jan/Feb 2009. What a fabulous time we had. The hotel - especially the exterior - does need a lick of paint and some general maintenance, but ignore this and you can't go wrong. Our room was cleaned daily by a young lad who was so helpful and friendly. We had clean bedding and towels every day - and he made intricate displays with the towels - a different one for each of the 28 days we were there - the best 2 being the crocodile and the 2 swans.
Breakfast is fruit juice, toast and jam with tea or coffee but it is waiter service and is far more preferable to the awful breakfast buffet scramble you get at most hotels. It is adequate but you can order more if you wish. The food at dinner - was 1st class - we only ate dinner outside the hotel twice the whole time we were there. Yes the service was a little slow but what was there to rush for?. We ate out every night under the stars and enjoyed every minute. The staff were great - I can't praise them enough. If you want to get out and about there are plenty of taxis available to take you wherever you want to go. It is about 30 minutes walk to Baga beach but if you want somewhere more relaxing get the drivers to take you to the beaches further north.

Unique Quality: This hotel is not on the beach and is away from the noise and bustle of Baga and Calangute It is set amongst coconut palms and close to a bird sanctuary. The sights and sounds were great - especially the monkeys swinging from the trees onto the roof. The swimming pool is enormous for the size of the hotel and very clean. It is a great place for that away from it all feeling and we will certainly be back.

Directions: Arpora village

Friendly hotel

by written on March 3, 2009

Had a great stay at this hotel, staff really friendly and helpful. Our room cleaned every day and the room boy and housekeeping staff extremely trustworthy and courteous. Have stayed in Goa many times but a first for this hotel, if we return to Goa this is the place we will stay.
An ideal place for a relaxing holiday, lovely pool and good food. Easy to get around as there is plenty of transport available. About 50Rupees in tuktuk to beach at Baga, about 20 mins walk. This is a family run hotel and the owner, Mr Fernandes, is very accessible. Our request for a quiet room was dealt with immediately and we had a lovely big room. We spent four weeks here in Jan/Feb2009 and never saw one drop of rain!

Unique Quality: Great pool, good place for birdwatching and monkey watching.

wateryplanet's Profile Photo

cheap and cheerful

by written on February 7, 2008

We have just returned to the UK from our third visit to the Abalone Hotel. The staff are helpful friendly and courteous. My mother was 82 during our stay and the staff arranged for a cake complete with candles and personal message. The pool is large and usually empty The service is Goan and the pace of life is slower. This tends to annoy the Brits who seem to spend a lot of time fault find and complaining. I think if you come to 2 star hotel in a 3rd world country do not expect too much or you will be disappointed. The hotel makes a terrific base to explore the region which the taxi drivers will be only too eager to act as your tour guide. We visited the temples of Ponda and the spice trail with tricky Vicky the taxi driver who speaks good English and explained all about Hinduism and how to make a gift to the deity. The Hotel is vastly improved on last year. The food was better and the outside restaurant was busy at night. There is also the addition of bar by the pool selling cocktails. The only disadvantage I found was whinging poms.

worldsapart's Profile Photo

Its a good place to crash

by written on January 11, 2008

I was really not looking forward to my holiday at Abalone, Arpora after reading some very mixed reviews of the place, however following a 3 week stay there, I wanted to say that I had a great time with them. The place itself is in need of a little care and attention but as a place to crash its more than adequate. I was travelling alone and it was my first visit to Goa so i was a bit nervous about what to expect, however the staff were truely lovely and made every effort to ensure that i was well catered for and happy, i never once felt anything but welcome and looked after! I would reccommend this hotel although i realise that some people would possibly want more from a holiday retreat i found it to be more than adequate and i would return there. Don't judge a book by its cover would be my advice!!

Unique Quality: The staff are really lovely and bend over backwards to make your stay there the best they can, the service isnt the quickest in the restuarant but hey you're on holiday what does it matter!!!

Goa's haven of relaxation

by written on January 6, 2008

I would like to say that I have met some friendly folk on my world wide travels, but the staff at The Abalone Resort Hotel were the kindest and most helpful I have ever come accross. All they wanted to do was to help us have a happy holiday.
We are returning shortly, as we enjoyed our Christmas break so much. On Christmas Eve and Christmas day we had wonderful buffet food supplied and a treat to watch of Indian Colourful folklore dancing and music. It was brilliant. Sheets changed every day rooms cleaned every day - and every day our clean towels were placed in beautiful shapes. Hearts, flowers and one to top the lot two Swans with beaks touching and where the beaks met a pretty red fresh flower. I was amazed. Also the laundry lady was so sweet, and for a few rupees one can have their shirt or shorts washed and returned neatly folded in clean see through bag. Unbelievable. My husband loves cricket, and the young waiters and the head waiter always obliged him by making sure the t.V. was turned on and the correct channel to be seen with the cricket showing, and in the evening, when we would be sitting by the pool, they would pull aside the curtains at the window and turn the television around so he could view it from our seats beneath the stars. Can you believe this? Absolutely fantastic. One time one of the lads wrote on a card 'reserved' and placed it on the table by the window - we found this very moving actually. By the end of our stay we felt we had found another family.

Yvonne Chapman (Kent)

Unique Quality: The pool nice, and the surroundings beautiful - one could watch the Eagles soaring above, and the Kites, also exoctic birds in the tall coconut Palm trees, and the Monkets that clambered from the trees o n to the roof of the hotel, and then back into the tree tops. Absolutely unbelievable. All the drinks reasonably priced and the meals good.

Yvonne

Directions: Not far from Baga Beach

a good base

by written on June 10, 2007

Myself and my hubby always stay down south in Goa but this time because our family was with us we decided to go up north for a few days. Our stay at the Abalone was Quite comfortable and the pool was great, the food also was quite good. IT was a five minute ride to the beach and the nigtlife, and great to get back after all the hustle and bustle to the peace and quiet of the hotel. The guys on reception were great and sorted us a cheap price for our stay. We usually stay with indian friends when we go to Goa but our next tri in Feb next year will be to the abalone, keep up the good work.

Unique Quality: Great pool, Reeption guys very helpful especially when my daughter needed to see a doctor.
Good food.

Directions: Across the roaf from Renton Manor hotel

A Goa friendly bed and breakfast

by written on February 25, 2007

I have just returned from my holiday in Goa. My family and I stayed at The Abalone Resort. I was slightly anxious about our stay because of the negative reviews I had read after i had made our booking. on arrival we were pleasantly surprised. The staff were very very friendly, our room was clean and comfortable, the pool was a delight and the food and service was good. My 8 year old son recomends the pancakes! My husband and son took home a shirt each made by the on site tailor, both made to perfection. For a 2 star bed and breakfast we were more than happy and we will be making a booking at The Abalone again before the end of the year.

friendly hotel

by written on February 5, 2007

i have just returned from a fortnight at this hotel . my partner son and myself had a fabulous time.breakfast was just toast but you did nt want to. eat any more. our room was cleaned immacutly and the laundry service was excellent .the pool was cleaned every night and was a nice way to cool down in the heat. the jacuzzi no longer excists.visit the spice oven bar next door for smashing bar staff who really make you feel welcome.this hotel is slightly out the way but with excellent taxi service outside happy to take you anywhere sunny and magnum were the guys we used and are super.i think for a 2 star hotel abalone was excellent and we would definatly go back the people we met on holiday and the staff were great

Unique Quality: the way the hotel was set around the pool area was handy if you had children so you could watch them from your balcony

comfortable, clean two star hotel

by written on January 20, 2007

I can not understand some of the adverse reports on this page. Abalone is basic, but clean, friendly, and above all has a superb swimming pool for those of us who like to swim without sharing a pool with crowds of noisy children. The food is from a limited menu, but well and freshly cooked and very cheap. The bar and restaurant service is fast and friendly. Room service is erratic and rhere is too much loud pop music pouring from the loudspeakers by the pool, overlooked and therefore overheard by half the rooms. There are at least four good restaurants within a few minutes' walk and the walk to Baga Beach is only 30 minutes, with good birdwatching on the way. A good hotel, away from the noise and hassle of the beaches.

Directions: In Arora, half=mile inland.

Abalone Resort is rubbish

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 13, 2007

Abalone Resort is not a good hotel to stay at. Have just returned from a visit January 2007. The hotel is old and unloved, staff morale is low and the condition of the rooms is beyond basic and they are dirty. The current brochures advertise it as having sky TV and baths however this is not true as they have neither in fact the have sold all the TVs. The My Travel Rep ‘John’ was not interested, unhelpful, unfriendly and dismissive of everyone who complained, if you are offered an alternative after you complain then you will have to pay extra and it is usually an even worse hotel, the travel companies know there’s nothing you can do once you are there. I have been to Goa before and knew to only expect basic but this hotel is not worth it, spend a little bit extra and get a nicer hotel. Breakfast consisted of stale toast and horrible coffee. The pool area was nice however it was small and the sun didn’t cover much area. If you are walking a lot the beach is very far at least 40 minutes walk and isn’t really a safe journey as the main road is unpaved. Apora is out of the way from the other resorts and other than a sweet shop and a few cafes there’s nothing there so you will spend all your time in taxis. Have read other reviews when I purchased holiday so thought I would update them as they were a year old. It’s just not that good and even though I had a great holiday in Goa I could only recommend not to bother with this hotel. Also I have read other reports about theft at this hotel although nothing happened when I was there the management are a bit dodgy so it is likely it is true, they were arranging an insurance scam while I was there for one of the guests to claim when he got home saying his room had been robbed, so that says it all really about this hotel.

Unique Quality: Stale toast
Dirt Rooms
Bad coffee
Dodgy Mangment

BluBluBlu's Profile Photo

Cheap and cheerful

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 27, 2005

I've stayed here a few times. Its a basic 2* that needs a little tlc. The rooms are fine...but theres not much of a bar area...and the service is at best slow. But the staff are all friendly...and if all you want is a place to crash...then this is an ok choice.

Directions: In Arpora, about a mile inland from Baga Beach.

Goan High Life

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 21, 2004

Breakfast here is a combination of no plates,no cups,no toast,no butter,no water or no milk in any order.When asked for toast the waiters usually brought in 5 slices to the queuing people.The poolside jaccusi contained no water only rubbish.The general condition and maintenance of the hotel was very poor with wires hanging out of holes and filthy walls.Deposit box keys were able to open other boxes.Nightime staff went to sleep behind the counter and left the keys to the rooms of guests not back in on the desk.

Directions: Arpora village 2 kilometres fro, Baga beach

• Room Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Goa Travel Forum

Need advice about Goa, India? Visit the Travel Forum for Goa and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Goa hotel reviews