Cavelossim Beach, Goa, Goa, 403 731, India

Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 52% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Best for Family Holidays

Dona Silvia Beach Resort Goa is ideal for beach holidays and best for spend some good fun time with your family. I stay there for a week with my family during my third trip to India. I had decided to visit for holiday in Goa during my one visit during my second visit to India. I had booked Dona Silvia Beach Resort through http://www.southalltravel.co.uk/newoffer/india/goa/donasylvia.aspx.

This is is India's only Mediterranean Style Club Resort located in the heart of the Goa. The hotel has good enough space which has gardens along the stunning Cavelossim Beach in South Goa.The hotel is easily accessible from major part of the city and only 25 Kilometers away from International Airport.

The hotel was very clean and room was fully equipped with all luxurious facilities. The hotel is best for Sunbath, we all enjoyed in Goa beach. The hotel staff was very friendly and keen to help. The restaurant of Dona Silvia beach resort make different from other and serve amazing see food. Overall this was memorable trip and thanks to Dona Silvia to make our trip memorable.

Unique Quality: Pool, Sea Food, Garden

• Ali-beam's Profile Photo

Average for All Inclusive

We stayed here in 2005.
    The place looks very nice and clean. Nice pool and surrounds. with a pool side snack bar which served food when the restaurantis closed. Chips and the like are available.

The grounds are really nice and well kept. Lovely flowers and grassy areas with a path dirctly to the beach.
    The rooms are very average but clean. We had a ground floor room near the beach path. It was nice and quiet away from the bar/restaurant.
    Bathroom was ok with shower and toilets and sink and clean towels were provided every day unless you left them on the rail. beds made each day and a clean through. Air con was a bit noisy and we had to turn it off at night when we had got fed up with the racket.
    The staff were all very eager for a tip which we found a bit cheeky and didnt tip until we were going, which was not appreciated by some. The hotel management told us not to tip!...?

The buffet meals got a bit boring after a day but we found the food outside in the local bars and restaurants was excellent and a good price too,so we went out for most of our meals even though we had AI

Unique Quality: Nothing makes it stand out. It was just an average 3 star hotel.
    They did put on an impresive Gala event for Christmas but the bar shut prompt at 11.00pm.

Directions: In the the main town of Caveossim on the road through the viliage.

• mrsmartin's Profile Photo

one of Goa's good-uns!

We stayed at the Dona Sylvia resort for two weeks in oct/nov 2003. We went to Goa at just the right time as it was at the beginning of the holiday season, so it was nice and quiet. Also it was over the time when divali (indian new year) took place. So even though the resort was quiet it fell busy over that weekend, which made a nice change.
    The room we stayed in was over another room so was similar to a duplex layout. The room was nice and big and also clean with a small balcony which overlooked the gardens. The room was absolutely delicious and if you did fancy a change going out was inexpensive. There was a small night club across the road which didn't really get too busy - and if it did you could probably fit in about 30 people at a squeeze! but again made a nice change from just chilling out in the resort. The drinks were okay, although being all inclusive the beer was a cheaper make (we were expecting kingfisher or cobra) but they also do stock that for a charge which was about 50p a bottle. We would get a stash of kingfishers and cobras across the road for about 35p a bottle as a backup.

Unique Quality: There was also a shopping centre just down the road which was quite nice and sold some designer brands. the beach was about a 7-10 min walk through the grounds which led onto the beach. The beach was gorgeous! complete with sunloungers. Be aware that there are plenty of beach hawkers that try to sell you their goods and will keep bugging you if you don't. I know it sounds bad but if you ignore them they eventually go away. or if you tell them you will buy something at the end of you hoiliday to keep them at bay. They do get quite irritating at times especially when all you want to do is chill out and read a book. One thing i must also warn you about is sea creatures. the sea isn't too safe. I have been to Goa two other times and nothing had ever happened but this time around i got bitten by a sea creature on my foot which hurt like hell!! I had to see a doctor and got a tetnus then something to help me sleep as i was quite delirious!! but i was fine the next day however didn't go back in the sea after that! But i must say that was a one off.
    They had the usual animation team at the resort who put on some good shows. I did get a little peeved off when they were usually held outside on the grassy bit as you do get quite a few insects bugging you (excuse the pun!) but then again you get them all over the place. you can buy insect coils which you light and place at the base of the table and the smoke it gives off is like an insense and keeps most of the mossies at bay!
    All in all it was a fantastic holiday with perfect weather sunny throughout! great people and nice locacation!

Directions: nice area walk about in,lots of goods to see in various colourful shops

• vickss's Profile Photo

South Goa's cool resort(4*)

We had taken a 3 nights package for a standard upgraded AC rooms. The rooms themselves appeared pretty neat and the size was comparable to a 5 star hotel, though the rooms didn't have any carpets on them. The rooms came with a TV and an empty mini fridge and a complimentary wine from the resort..(I am saving it for the New Years Day). From what I could gather there were small two bedroom villas(for two different residents) apart from one storyed villas with two different bedroom units on the ground floor and I guess I two bedroom set on the first floor. While the room size was pretty decent and only the missing carpet was a small dampener, the bath units were a lil too small. Worse on worse since the rooms have pretty open surroundings it opens the way for entry of insects... In my case I got a real painful bite from a honeybee in the bath on the fingertip. I hope it didn't happen too often to others. Services were also pretty prompt.

Unique Quality: It has one of the biggest pools in Goa and cuts through a makeshift foot bridge. The resort itself has been built on mediterranean architecture which gives a pretty open look to the resort set amidset palm trees and with a private beach access. The food was also great with decent variety of Indian and continental fare in our all meals included 3 night stay package. The beach(Cavelossim) is also pretty clean and less crowdy stretch running alongside the resort. The resort has a number of entertainment options including a tennis court, table tennis facilities and facility to play ball sports in the pool.
    The other good things about the resort was the extended meal hours(breakfasts till 10.30 am and dinner till 10.30 pm and lunch till 2.30 pm).. great for people who like to relax and take their time out of the rooms

Directions: Ask anyone aftre reaching Cavelossim. The place is about 15 km from Madgaon rail station and I guess about 15-20 km from the airport

• rough rooms

Been here twice, the first time the service was fine but the rooms were falling appart in the part of the grounds that had not been updated, the last time we went we upgraded our room at the cost of £100 for the 2 weeks, a bit of a cheek really as the hotel has got very expensive to go to, its a third world country with 3rd world accomodation at first world prices!!!

Unique Quality: Great facilities games room for the kids and tennis courts, the pool was too cold to swim in though! fantastic location, if you go, don't go all inclusive the food in the hotel is ok but the delights that await you just outside the hotel are too good to miss, very cheep. The beach is amazimg!!

More about Dona Sylvia Hotel

Lacked originality

Dona Sylvia is a very well run hotel. The staff is friendly, the enviorment is clean and the amenities are all there. Although there are mostly good things to say about the hotel I must say it does lack in originality and the crowd is almost purely package tourists. The beach is gorgeous but the vendors are terribly annoying.

Hot, humid and heavenly

by TripAdvisor Member Bessima

The hotel was well run and the quality and variety of the food was good, however the coffee was terrible!. The rooms were more than adequate and the aircon much appreciated especially when it reached 50 centigrade one day.
Liked the safe boxes provided free of charge except I forgot my key number and then my husband locked the room key in the room!. The staff were all smiles and couldn't be more helpful.
Valentine's Day celebrations were great fun including the lady who tried to pole dance around one of canopy supports.
The on-site tailor was disappointing and expensive.
In all the Dona Sylvia is a good hotel trying hard to be even better. Personally it was too big and busy for me as I prefer small and more homely.

Paradise Found!!

by TripAdvisor Member topgran

Having been to Goa in 1996 we booked to return this year. We have never been 'all inclusive' before and were a little anxious but we can honestly say we couldn't fault the Dona Sylvia in any way. The food was far better than some of the restaurants outside, and believe me we tried most of them. The service was first class and the accommodation was great. The day we were due to return they were installing fridges in the rooms which we could have done with during our holiday but never mind. If I had to make any points at all, it would be the saving of poolside beds by placing towels on well before breakfast time and sometime leaving them there for the whole day usused. (There is a large sign stating this is not allowed but it seems the British don't read as it was mainly those we watched doing this). However, all in all we thoroughly enjoyed the stay and will return next year.

Please stop complaining!

by TripAdvisor Member P_H_Wilson

Not sure about the various complaints about Goa. We have just got back from a fabulous couple of weeks staying at the Dona Sylvia and thought we should address some of the moans.
We flew with Monarch in a new A330 airbus and the flight and staff were very good, if you want more legroom then upgrade or go by a more expensive carrier like Virgin.
Yes the roads are not good and the coach from the airport is bumpy but treat it as a way of seeing the local area. I would suggest using a taxi for the longer excursions as it is cheaper and more comfortable.
On the excursions check first on how many pickups there are as you could have along journey just going around the hotels.
Yes you are going to a third world area so the food, shacks etc are not very plush, but isn't that part of the magic?
Anyway I have loads of photos and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to email me.
The people here and the place itself are fantastic and I will be happy to help with anything if I can.

Fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member lalkav

We stayed at the Dona Sylvia for one week in March/April with our 2 teenagers. It was the best holiday we have ever had. The hotel was fantastic and the staff could not do enough for you and the Goan people were all so genuinely friendly. The food was sensational and it was great that there was a special outdoors buffet with entertainment (Bollywood dancers, sword fighters) on several nights. I loved staying in a bungalow and not a conventional hotel. I also loved the fact that the hotel is right on the beach. We went to the beach shacks Wednesday night party with fireworks - got to be seen to be believed. We went to the cricket match to see India play England at the ODI - what an experience! I will never forget queueing at 6.00am to get in along with 40,000 other people. We also went on one of Jack's river cruises during which he sailed out to sea to rescue some holidaymakers on another operators boat. The inexperienced sailor had taken them out to sea to spot dolphins but the sea was so rough it was forcing them onto the rocks. We used Ben, a taxi driver, for our trips. He charged half that the taxis outside the hotel charged. We had to walk just down the road to the chemists to meet him as he was not allowed near the hotel. He took us to the Spice Plantation, the elephants, Hindu temple and even stopped off and bought us some sugar cane drink at the side of the road. I feel so lucky that we picked this hotel and would not hesitate to recommend it to friends.

Dona Sylvia

by adensal

HI

If you have satyed at the DonaSylvia in Cavellosim Beach would love to hear any tips or useful info. Starter for 10, do they supply hair dryers ? and whats the food like on the beach ? We are all inclusive but want to try the food out and about too.

Many thanks

RE: Dona Sylvia

by sylbain

Sent you email with further details

Dave

RE: Dona Sylvia

by dakref

Go to Betty`s which is about a mile up the road at Morbar beach near the Holliday Inn, also if you are into Chinese go to Whispers of the Orient which is in the Holliday Inn, both places have great food and service.

Comments