Horizon Beach Resort

Aldeia Dona Lira, Velsao Beach, 403515, India

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Goa

BEV & ALMA & FAMILYBEV & ALMA & FAMILY

Duty free whisky, anyone?Duty free whisky, anyone?

Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, AltinhoOur Lady of the Immaculate Conception, Altinho

My room at D'MellosMy room at D'Mellos

Glycerine in ber

by Dazza40

Hi there

I believe glycerine is used as a preservative in bottled beer in Goa and that this can cause tummy upsets. I believe that there is a "trick" to removing this glycerine by inverting the bottle in some way. Does anyone know of this trick?

by leics

According to a TA thread I've just googled:

>you can remove the glycerine by asking for a small bowl ,half fill it with bottled water ,put your thumb over the opening of the beer bottle tip it upside down and submerg in the bowl of water ,remove thumb and the clear glycerine will slowly empty into the water ,may take a minuite or 2.<

by tayloretc

Not just in Goa, and some brands are worse than others. The trick from the post above works, though :)

by Odinnthor

Wow, have not heard this one in many years, but it is still a good valid way to remove the glyc. I remember demonstrating this to my tour members back a few years. They were properly amazed, even though you cannot really see the transferance, - no tummy trouble, and good times were had by all.

I thought though, that this practice had been discontinued, I was curious and called my friend Nino, and he said that Kingfisher still has it, but he does not drink it so who knows. Anyway, unless you really want to sample the local brews, there are plenty of imports to be had.

...and yes, it is definately not just in Goa......

by taurean_traveller

Wouldn't it be a good idea if someone posted on here the beers that DO have glycerine in them.

Surely somewhere there is a list.
I don't drink much beer (age related!!!) but will be in Goa january and would like one at lunchtime.

Thanks for the tip

by tayloretc

I think they all contain glycerin - something about preservation in that weather. You shouldn't have a problem with the bigger brands (Kingfisher, Sandpiper, etc.) you get at restaurants.

Just a note of caution, I'd be wary of buying bottles at a government liquor shop - even if it has a label from a bigger brand, you don't really know what you're getting. Some people are more sensitive than others - I never had any stomach problems, although some of those questionable bottles gave me a headache (not a hangover).

I didn't think the beer in India was particularly good anyway. Certain brands of rum, however, were - dark and sweet, mixed very well.

Travel Tips for Goa

visa

by chelsea1328

i am having the same problem. The Indian Embassy give out a phone number which is wrong. It has been outsourced to v.f.s a prvate company. you have to fill in the form online, print it out and submit it to vfs. YOU then have to book a appointment to collect them, in short you need to make 2 trips to either london Birmingham or Edinborough if you do not want to send your passport through the post(like me)The cost has gone up and as you expect extra charges for handling, posting back to you e.t.c. I have phoned the travel companie i have booked with, thomson, who still though you had to go to the indian embassy. They were shocked to find out and confirm to me that its true what i told them.I have asked at the post office,no joy and have rang the home office, they said thats the only way you can do it. I love India but will not go back after my next visit. Be sure to tell every one about this ,reps, tour companies e.t.c. the goan tourist board is also up in arms about this. It is going to hit them very hard,Goa had 700,000 visitors last year, that number will go down drastically if they continue this farce.

Beautiful and Friendly

by LittleSandFairy

Goa is a wonderful place where I felt very safe to wander anywhere. It is incredibly cheap to eat, drink or get a taxi anywhere. For this reason dont go wth the package holiday trips out as they are a real rip off! We stayed at Betalbatim Beach which is in the South and fairly quiet in a lovely small hotel. For instance we took a taxi to a waterfall. It took us an hour and half to get there and it only cost us £10 and thats £ not rupees. And that also included taking us home after we spent about 3 hours there swimming and laying around!

One of the trips included a stay in a mud hut. We were warned they were basic but didnt realise how basic. However, they were very clean, just rather dark with holes in the pillow cases and a mud, cowpat floor, walls etc. I wouldnt have missed it for the world though . One day I'm going back.
Only disappointment , no snorkling as the sea is not that calm and clear. Took a 6am walk up through the jungle to another waterfall and to see the sun come up. Washed elephants and did yoga in the open air in the middle of a jungle round one of the oldest temples . Superb.

Also the 9 hour train journey into the centre of india to see Hampi ( and well worth it) . Met some very interesting and lovely people and lots of cockroaches!

The season

by BluBluBlu

The main season for Goa is normally October to April which is when you can expect the best weather. If you go outside of this time most of the beach shacks, the nightclubs, markets etc will be closed. Hotels and restaurants are still open...although a lot of these shut too

Russians

by georeiser

More than half of all the tourist in Goa are russian. You can hear their languages everywhere on the beaches of north Goa. And you can see signs with the cyrillic alphabet in the streets, hotels and restaurants. The russian tourist are cash-rich and spend a lot of money. Many Indian waiters in the restaurants speak russian and many try to learn the language. I personally have no bad feelings for russian tourist other than they don't speak other languages than russian. Especially the beaches of Candolim, Calangute and Morjim has a high number of russians.

Dress Appropriately

by KayPee

It is nor the local custom to go to Mapusa or any other town in your bikini top and shorts. Please remember that you are in India, however much it may resemble the costa del sol. please respect local sensibilities and dress accordingly.

Comments