River Rays Resort

Good For No Data

More about Goa

Velha GoaVelha Goa

On the Main RoadOn the Main Road

The Sri Maruti (God of Winds) Temple, Altinho hillThe Sri Maruti (God of Winds) Temple, Altinho hill

Flee Market in JuneFlee Market in June

2010 New Year's in Goa-Retreat by Zuri

by hawklets

If I've missed the place where this information is located, I'm sorry. I've searched now for about an hour and can't find it.

Me and 7 other friends will be visiting Goa for the first time this December. We have booked rooms at the Retreat by Zuri.

Does anyone have any commentary on this hotel? What are things we need to do that are close by? What about New Year's festivities; what should we do?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Reviews from Tripadvisor

by hawklets

Thank you Lynne. What about New Year's? I found trip advisor after I found this forum. I have never used either so I don't know which one will be more helpful.

Have you ever stayed at Zuri or do you know anything about it? What about new years?

by lynnehamman

Sorry- I visit India a LOT- but avoid Goa like the plague- especially in the silly season.

by hawklets

Unfortunately that's not an option. I've heard for years that New Year's in Goa is supposed to be unbelievable so we'll see what happens. All of the videos I see show hippies at a rave dancing and clearly on drugs. Certainly not what I was expecting. I've read that South Goa is supposed to be cleaner and free from this stuff. Is that true? Am I wrong in thinking our hotel is in South Goa?

All over Goa.

Travel Tips for Goa

friendnees

by shauncollins

hotel parares in candolim was okay but seem to think that all like to hear boom boom boom
music all day we had to ask daily to turn volume down as it went through your apartment as
a mini thunder. Hotel good value for money freindly clean and helpful .It would have been a
bit better were there some sun parasol round the pool area. Enjoyed beach life and excellant food served up and fun of tuk tuk experiance

Mobile phones

by Goan_Crazy

An easy way to keep in touch with friends and family back home is to use your mobile phone. This as you know can be quite expensive and even a simple text message can cost £1. The answer is to get a local "pay as you go" sim package which are widely available in Goa. I got set up on IDEA for about 450rs and this gave me about 200rs of talk time. Top up cards come in various sizes and are readily available. You will need your passport (or a photocopy) when you buy your sim. A text message cost me 5rs and a call to a landline back home was 30 something rs/min. Your phone will need to be open to all networks, you can get it unlocked in Goa cheaper than back home. The phone I used in Feb 2003 was a Nokia 8310 and this year I will be taking a 7250i (the 8310 will be getting donated to a Goan friend)

Alcohol and Hash

by ak47uk

There is Hash to be found in Goa and it is very inexpensive, it usually comes from up country mostly Cannabis Resin and there are different types called Charas and sometimes Nepalese and is bought in lumps known as Tollahs usually 10gms, sometimes you might even come across some grass like Kanataka weed, and so I have been told it is very strong. I did hear that because of the Rave scene and the fashionable drug market you can also get ecstasy and opium but I never saw any, It is not a good idea to smoke openly in Goa even though the Goans are very tolerant of the stoned tourists, Hash dosn't seem readily available until you look for it, word of mouth is usually the best way and the odd aroma in the air will point you in the right direction. If you do decide to partake try and get it from a westener at first until you know the score and treat it with the respect it rightly deserves, Oh and by way the Indian papers are not the same as western standards bring your own if possible. Alcohol is readily available, there are many local beers like Black Label, Bullet, Guru and my favourite King Fisher, some are strong and some not so strong, depending on what type you drink decides the head thumping in the morning. Spirits are also in abundance you can find brand names such as Johhny Walker Whiskey and brand named Vodka, Brandy etc, the local firewater is known as Toddy which is made from coconuts and Feni made from cashew nuts but the Daddy of them all is Arak which is made from distilled rice, this stuff will blow your head off, it's best to mix it with soda or coke to water it down a bit although it is quite palatable on it's own, but a word of warning try and get the bottles that are labled and made by the goverment because a lot of people in Goa and India make there own and that stuff is dangerous, I am told drinking it makes you blind for starters.

Dosa

by nora_south_africa

Dosa was most delicious! its actually a south Indian food ( I think ) that I ate at a small south Indian restaurant in Betlabatim ( think the name was Kaveneesh) but it was really very delicious, try this when you in Goa.

A Hena Pattern Tatoo

by inuit

On the beaches og Goa you will meet many local girls who will make you a nice Hena Tattoo on your arm or on your leg. It takes really short time and they have a big collection of patterns to choose from. I took a photo of Itay my son watching the local girl making a hena on his mothers let.

Comments