Sinquerim Rd, Dando Beach, Candolim, Goa, India

More about Goa

Rs 100 NoteRs 100 Note

BEDROOMBEDROOM

Archbishop's House, Altinho HillArchbishop's House, Altinho Hill

Waiting for the train in MargaoWaiting for the train in Margao

Private Guide

by CDSMIA

My wife and I will be in Goa for 1 day in April, 2011. We would like to find a private tour guide. Our interests are historic, religious and cultural. Does anyone have a suggestion for a guide and/or itinerary?

Re: Private Guide

by corysharon

I wounder if you are on the same trip as me? april 4 8am to 5pm if so you are in the right place for your question.

Re: Private Guide

by taurean_traveller

Don't know of a private tour guide,but when we were there just recently,our rep suggested that we write a list of places we want to see and then negotiate a price for a taxi for the day around 1000/1500 rupees.(£18/25)
Most of the taxi drivers speak good English and obviously know their way around.
There is the water fall,Old Goa,The Spice Farm plenty of Temples and of course the markets,both day and night markets.

Travel Tips for Goa

How Much to Tip??

by Donna_in_India

Tipping is fairly common in India with the exception of rickshaw drivers or taxi drivers, unless you hire them for the day (although a few rupees or rounding up the fare is always appreciated). These amounts are meant as a guideline. Tip ONLY in rupees, not any other currency. Check to see if a service charge has already been added to any bill.

Waiters - generally 10-15 percent of the bill in upscale places, in smaller places (local/budget) tip Rs. 10-20.

Bellmen - Rs. 50 - 100 (depending on how much luggage).

Hotel Doorman - Rs. 50-100 when you checkout.

Hotel Maid - Rs. 100-200 for your stay (5+ days). Be sure to hand deliver.

Room Service - Rs. 20-50. (20 for smaller things, 50 for meal delivery).

Drivers/ Guides - half day/ Full day sightseeing trips Rs. 150 - 250.

Drivers/ Guides - long trips spread over many days Rs. 150 - 200 Per traveller/ day.

Porters (train stations/airports) - set the rate beforehand (around Rs. 10-20 per bag).

Second hand goods

by clouds111

Whilst staying in Candolim, despite it being a relatively built up tourist destination it's hard to escape the poverty. We often saw the same locals every day who we would stop and talk to. A number of times we were asked whether we had any old phones, shampoo, soap and clothes that we didn't want. So rather than throwing those things away if you have anything like that at the end of your holiday you could just make someone's day :)

The lovely people

by susie46

My favourite thing about Goa has to be the wonderful people that we met. The locals were so friendly, warm and helpful. All were eager to please and genuinely appeared interested in our home life and loved talking about their families. We even met some of their children. The children would come and shake hands and if we saw them again would remeber our names and wave to us in the street. : - ) I am already missing Goa and I have only been home for 6 days ( end of April 2004 )

Internet

by BluBluBlu

If you need to email, or update your VT page you'll find most major Hotels in the south have internet connections. If you are in a small resort just pop into Margao and ask wheres the nearest internet cafe.

In the north most of the resorts will have internet cafes...although they may be in a supermarket or other shop! I use a Sify Internet Cafe by the roundabout in Calangute as it has good broadband!

Best time NOT to use the internet is between 4pm & 8pm...as this is when the local power system is stretched...and you could be halfway through a long email...and there's a powercut!

Recipe for my easy & authentic prawn curry!

by JessH

This is a recipe from a friend in Goa that I brought back home with me. It's been tried and tested - I've cooked it quite a few times and it's always fantastic! I never thought that I'd be able to cook a curry to "Indian restaurant standards" in my kitchen, but this really does taste 100% genuinely Indian (like a masala)! It's also really low in fat & calories as there is no added cream, etc.
You will need:
> 1 large non-stick pan
> 600g medium-sized fresh or frozen prawns (also works with chicken)
> 2 medium onions
> 4 medium tomatoes
> 2 cinnamon sticks (or half tsp cinnamon powder)
> 4 cardamom pods (optional; I don't like cardamon)
> 4 cloves
> 2 green chillies (or half tsp chilli powder)
> 2 tablesp. ginger and garlic paste
> some salt
> half tsp turmeric powder
> 1 tsp red chilli powder
> 1 tsp coriander powder
> 1 Tablesp. cumin powder
> 1 Tablesp. tomato paste
> 2 cups (500ml) hot water
> half tsp garam masala powder
> 1/2 bunch of fresh, chopped coriander leaves.

Let's get cooking!
1. Heat your oil to medium heat & start frying 2 sticks of cinnamon, 4 cardamom pods and 4 cloves with the chopped onions & green chillies and fry for about 5 min. or until onions are a light golden brown.
2. Now add the ginger & garlic paste, stir for a few minutes.
3. Now add the spices: turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder & garam masala and fry for 5 min over low heat, stirring frequently.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes followed by 1 tablesp. of cumin powder. Stir. Add 1 tablesp. of tomato paste & a cup of water - keep stirring until the water is absorbed. Turn the heat down, put the lid on and leave to simmer for 10-15 min, or until oil separates from the dish & rises to the top.
5. Turn the heat back up & add the prawns. Add 2 generous pinches of salt.
6. Add approx. 100ml of warm water & stir. Then put lid on and bring the heat down. Leave for about 10 min. or until prawns are cooked - check occasionally.
7. Finally, check whether your seasoning is good & last but not least stir in the chopped, fresh coriander.
--> Serve either with rice or with some warm, fresh Naan bread or Parathas.
*Khana Majese Khao!* (Enjoy your meal!)

Comments